1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice on how to deal with the stress during the exam session?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gia K, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Gia K

Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I am approaching my exams, all 6 of them, and there is just SO much I have to study, and I only have about 2 weeks left to prepare myself. I know I should have started studying sooner, but let's just say I wasn't mentally able to bring myself to do it. I know, what a lousy excuse.

I just feel very stressed out and I'm fearing I won't be able to get anything done bacause of this constant feeling of stress I'm living in. Have you guys been through a similar situation where you had a lot of studying to do during the session of exams in college, but the amount of time you were given was pretty short? How could I deal with it? I'm the kind of person who panics very easily, another nail added to my coffin... :icon_sad:

The thing is, I still wish to score some high grades, I owe it to my parents at least, because they have been through so much to put me into college, and to myself, because I've also made some efforts to get here, but I am feeling so lost right now and I hate it.

If you have some useful advice, please don't hesitate to shate it with me, because I really need it :eusa_pray

2. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't! I use the stress to concentrate more, I don't even go to the bathroom before I do an exam

I try to pay attention in class, so the studying is just a reminder of everything I learned so far. If you didn't pay attention to your teacher then studying will be a living hell. Unless of course you are intelligent enough to learn on your own

#2 edy, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the best advice is not to get stressed... try to remind yourself. Calm down, take a deep breath, and tell yourself that you'll do your best and get what you can done. That is all you can do. If you stress out you may be less efficient. Make yourself a schedule of what you need to accomplish and when you will do it within the next 2 weeks. As an example, for a recent physics final, I studied the early stuff for 2 days and ended up with only 1 day to study the second half (and ironically the test consisted almost completely of the second half). Basically, pace yourself so you don't spend too much time on one thing. I'm sure you already learned the material, so 2 weeks is still a lot of time to get prepared and review what you already know.

I'd really recommend a to-do list or schedule so you stay on top of things and don't spend too long on a certain thing and get stuck cramming the rest of the stuff at the end. Also, try to maximize your efficiency. Try to figure out what will be the most important information and focus the most on that.

4. treatmeright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh dear you are just like my kids:eusa_naug
    Anyway what happened happened and you need to focus. You can't finish all the subjects contents you can choose the most probable topics will be asked and concentrate on them if you finished those and you still have time keep adding. Before staring studying drink water and don't take chocolate it will make you sleepy. Prepare snacks healthy ones better and keep drinking water give yourself a 5 min break every 45 min session.
    And good luck or break a leg as they say:icon_wink

5. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ahh, the joys of procrastination. I've also got exams in 2 weeks which I couldn't make myself revise for over the holidays. Some of my thoughts on this:

- First things first, prioritise. Get your revision in for the key topics before you revise the more *ahem* expendable ones. Write a plan if you think it helps (though I never really write plans, just have general strategies which are flexible).
    - If you know where you're weakest, focus on that. Don't waste too much time revising things you're already confident on.
    - If it helps, try listening to music while studying. As long as it's instrumental, it might help you a) associate and b) view revision sessions as at least partly enjoyable. Maybe listen to different genres for different topics.
    - On that theme try writing different topics in different colours or do revision for them in different places to help seal them in your memory
    - Present the information in a way that's palatable to you. Mindmaps can help to make connections and for the general overview, or you might like cue cards, bullet points... whatever works best for you really. Also group discussions might help you if you're responsive to that.
    - Don't sit at one desk for three-hour stints because after 40 minutes you'll lose concentration. Work for 40 mins to an hour and then have a break, or move to a different work spot.
    - From experience from my last essay, if you're not getting anywhere don't try to. I literally sat at my kitchen table from the hours of 2am to 7am and didn't write a word that didn't get undone in that time. It was only until I slept for 3 or 4 hours that things actually started happening again. Don't do that! I sure don't intend to. So if you're stuck on something, don't stare at the wall. Do something else, be it another topic, the next question, idk badminton, whatever works. Move on, let your mind process it in the background.
    - Lastly, stay positive and remember, you're far from the only one! :thumbsup:

The main thing is just to completely dissociate yourself from the past. You screwed up, but you can't change that. What you can change is the present, so think in terms of the present and the task in hand, putting all of your focus into it. You're doing the best with what you have. Think in those terms and try to control any feelings of doubt, etc. Like a Jedi.

#5 sam the man, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  6. CyanChachki

Listen to your favorite music on your breaks. Try not to cram and if you don't know an answer on your exam, go with your gut. You'll have a better chance at getting it right. Maybe do some stretching for a bit of exercise? Exercise makes people feel happier in general.

7. Hiems

As a last minute studying strategy, maybe try using Quizlet. You can make flash cards and use them. It's really useful for retaining information. I owe the app for helping me get good grades haha.

Music does help, but only for certain classes. If I'm doing practice problems for chemistry or math, then the music keeps me focused. But if I'm reading or taking notes while reading, then I need absolute silence because the music distracts me. See what works for you.

Finally, make sure to get some study breaks. Stretch for 10 minutes or take a short walk, even. It's a great way to get your mind off of studying for a bit.