1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any honest, upfront dating sites at all?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Damien, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Because in my experience, they talk themselves up, say you can join for free, so you go to the trouble of singing up, giving lots of personal info, a photo, then after all that, they finally tell you that, if you want to actually be able to use the site properly, guess what? You will have to pay. Now I have no problem with paying for a service, but they ought to have told us that yes you can sign up for free, but the 'free service' is so prohibitively limited and useless, that folks will either upgrade, or just delete the account, once they find out. If they could just tell us at the beginning, we would not have to waste all that time signing up, writing a bio, posting a pic, etc, first.

So it's not the having to pay for anything decent that offends me, it's the underhanded way they get folks to part with all this time and info by presenting it as a 'free service' to get you in initially. I just want a site that lays it all out from the start. And what's with these supposed 'you have a message from ..." and that message sounds suspiciously the same as from another member, but you would need to upgrade to really communicate properly anyway, and what's more you kind of get the feeling these 'messages' are actually generic and automated, generated by the program...just designed to get you interested, but not real, actually!

But maybe it's just me who has found a few of these sites to be kind of shonky in this way...?

#1 Damien, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  2. Sapphy

I only ever used [dating site name] and found it great. It asks you lots of questions and you answer as many as you wish - the more questions you answer the more accurate your matches will be. The questions are around your beliefs, morals, feelings towards things etc.

I had one date from there but probably could have had a few more had I not been so fussy. I think the only downfall was that there weren't very many gay girls in my area.

#2 Sapphy, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  3. Gallatin

Hi y'all, just a friendly reminder that the mentioning of specific dating sites, apps, etc., is not allowed.

4. mangotree

I'm pretty sure there isn't.
    I guess you've just got to trust word of mouth as to which ones are the best in your area / for your orientation.

Maybe if you're that way inclined, you could create a website dedicated to trying, reviewing, rating, exposing all of the different dating sites to make it easier for others :slight_smile:

5. CyanChachki

None that I know of. The ones I've been to where all like "I'm looking to date" and in person they'd be like "Oh, I forgot to change that..." *lies*

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There is one on wikipedia, a (non exhaustive) comparison of online dating websites .
    This are sites for grownups.
    It lists which features are free, for example.

You could have a look here...
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/anonymous-discussions/149346-where-can-i-meet-lgbtq-people.html#4

and some people mentioned meetup... but safety measures should apply there, too... no personal information in the beginning, and meeting in a public place, for example...

7. TacobellKFC

Out Status:
    A few people
    Dating sites are funny....Cougar life, black people meet, and there's even some for farmers only...im not judging they just have funny commercials

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone