1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic Counter-Arguments

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, Jan 6, 2015.

1. ZenMusic

So people have a lot of fallacious, illogical arguments that they use to try and keep people like us quiet, but anyone with two brain cells to rub together will know they have nothing to support these claims, and they do not make an iota of sense. Here are some :

"It's unnatural, therefore it's wrong"
    Not only is this a fallacy, a lot of the things we do aren't natural, such as sleeping on a bed, taking a shower or sitting on a chair, or even using a computer. Some of these things are neccessary for us to function properly, so something being natural isn't a prerequisite for something being moral. Why people have decided that out of the dozens of unnatural things we do everyday, loving the same gender is evil, I do not know. One could even go as far to say that some of our baser, natural instincts are not neccessarily moral.

Also, homosexuality has been observed in 1500 species, so it is by definition natural.

"It's disgusting, therefore it's wrong"
    There are a lot of things we as people find aesthetically displeasing, but we do not equate physical aversion with immorality. This statement in itself is a subjective one, and is not to be taken as the demonstrable and logical truth. I don't like Cucumbers, that does not mean they are evil.

"It's the same as beastiality and pedophilia"
    Taking into account that a relationship between two people, irrespective of orientation, requires consent, beastiality and pedophilia comparisons are completely out of the question.

"The Bible Says It's Wrong"
    If you are an atheist, you can simply tell this person morality is not decided from a 2000 year old book that has been translated, revised, rewritted and translated again. You can also tell this person Sin is a Christian concept, and it quite literally means a transgression against Divine Law. Adam and Steve statements can also be disregarded, as not only is it genetically impossible for a woman to come out of a man's rib via cloning, we do not even know if Adam and Eve existed.

If you are a Christian and bibilically competent, you can point out that the Leviticus passage, and indeed the entire Bible, did not contain the word homosexual or homosexuality in the original version, so the original version may have said nothing of gay people. For the current version, you can say this passage speaks of sexual promiscuity, and not of consensual, loving same-sex relationships. Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed due to inhospitality, and had nothing to do with homosexuals. Finally, ask this person what Jesus's final and most important commandment was, and say that we are supposed to love our neighbours, not disparage and villify them.

However, the best way to deal with this sort of thing is to not care. It is much harder than it sounds, but these people are often not very secure in themselves, and must take out their self-loathing on others. Showing them this will tell them you will not be threatened or bullied, and that you will live your life with or without the approval of others.

Yours faithfully,
    Zen

2. Images and Words

:roflmao:
    Adam & Steve! I love it!

---------- Post added 6th Jan 2015 at 05:52 PM ----------

Also, thanks for this, I'll have to show it to all the homophobic "oh, that's so gay" ass holes in my school

3. CyanChachki

I usually get a good chuckle out of any kind of counter argument. It's repetitive to the point where it becomes a sad excuse and noneffective. I usually respond to the whole "It's Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" think like, "Then why are there men named Steve?" or "So it's okay for the both of them to have a romantic relationship with their children but it's not okay for us to have a romantic relationship with someone of the same gender?" just to get them.

I suppose over all, I feel like they just don't want to admit that they personally hate it and think that it's wrong instead of blaming it on their religion. You can choose what you believe in, you can choose your own morals and you can certainly choose how you think and feel towards something in particular. The fact is, they don't want to and when being confronted with homosexuality, they'd rather blame something else for their disgust towards it, rather than being honest and having to face the consequences.

4. Pie

Pie Guest

Go to rationalwiki.org! They have a ton of counter argument for homophobia, transphobia, ...

Anyway, I don't think I'll bother finding counter arguments then next I encounter a bigot. I'll just tell they don't deserve my attention, and leave.

Also, I might also beat them to death if they persist.

#4 Pie, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
  5. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]

^Tina knows the deal!

6. Quiet Raven

When it comes to the "unnatural" thing, I think the best example is things like glasses, hearing aids, antidepressants, anything like that.

They are just as "unnatural" as, say, taking hormones for transitioning.

7. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    That's usually my response actually. Funny how people only use the 'unnatural' argument when it applies to something that is none of their business. Nobody ever says: "vaccinations are unnatural, so I'll just let my kids catch polio, it'll be character building!"

8. TacobellKFC

Out Status:
    A few people
    When some one says being lgbt is a choice...tell them to try to be lgbt and see how that works....i know it won't work but I mean come on its the truth..its like saying being white or black is a choice

9. jameslover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Rational wiki is amazing. If you have some free time, look up their Conservapedia article. Priceless.
    Speaking of homophobia, I saw this picture on iFunny that had an image of a kid going "it's not like gays did anything bad" and then a long list of articles that were basically all the same, eg, people forced to wed gays, gay activism, etc. I found it pretty stupid, considering the actions taken by gays were legal and had a reason, unlike many homophobic actions.