1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pet Names

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andronas, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Andronas

I've never liked being called by pet names by anyone. Sweetie, shug,sugar, baby, sweet pea, babe, honey, etc. Is anyone else out there like this? If another guy does it, I tend to feel repulsed Lol.

2. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends who does it really. If it's someone I like then it's ok, or even nice. If a stranger or worse someone I don't like does it, that's really annoying. I wouldn't generally use pet names for someone I didn't know and/or like so I tend to think of it as condescending in this case.

3. Aro

Aro

I've never liked it either. Especially with someone I'm not dating. Hun or honey is something I get called a lot by perfectly nice people who are my friends, but it drives me up the wall. Sweetie as well. It feels very condescending even if they mean it in the best of ways.

4. Randomcloud

Not into them at all.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Depends on the context.

I've never really liked "sweetie" outside of, "You're a sweetie". I can deal with "honey", but the tone really says a lot. That undermining delivery, that sometimes accompanies 'honey', can be a real teeth #######.

If I'm really close to somebody, then I'm fine with them. I think it's cute, and sometimes a nickname can have special meaning, similar to a certain song or picture. A total stranger, well, you better be on your A-game, or else it might not start the conversation off right.

Interestingly, if I dub somebody a nickname, that means I think very well of them. Of course, I'm not going to default to some generic title, there will be thought to it.

In short, I don't mind them, if the context is appropriate and the person is close. I think they can be kind of amusing and sweet.

6. Aro

Aro

On the topic, I think nicknames are different than pet names. Since I find that they can be unique and very empowering rather than a standard 'cutie', 'honey', or 'babe' that can be handed out to everyone. I like nicknames for sure. I agree with Kaiser in that it's more thought-out and means more. The pet names always seem so cheap to me. If you're going to hand off a different name to me, especially in affection, I'd like it to be something awesome! XP

7. Mischief

Mischief Guest

I dont like it when people use them in any context really. But I hate it when people use it to be condescending. Sweetie, Darling, Chickie, Honey and Babe are the worst for this. It's really hard not to call someone "Honey" without coming across as condescending though.

8. Andronas

Kind of like a prefix to a reprimand? I think I know what you mean. I've had people do this before. My reaction is usually something like, "First of all, I'm not even that close to you. Back off." Lol

9. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not fond of them, but I especially hate being called by ones I feel are demeaning, not in intention but in meaning. Like dear, I absolutely detest being called dear. Let's think about where this pet name comes from for a moment shall we? It has 2 potential meanings as a pet name. "Dear to me" and "dear" as in naive and in need of a big, strong, smart protector. One sounds like a possession and the other is just insulting.

I hate pet names.

10. Chriswe

I'm okay with babe (only if close friends would use it though) but the other ones... Just no thanks...

11. PrairieRachel

Well if it is directed at me I usually will not take offense, I find if I stop and give a big hug or quick smooch that usually wakes the person up! Lol...besides...positive thoughts always work better than non positive ones. :slight_smile:

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm not much a fan of the generic ones. Anytime I pet name someone, you can bet it'll be something special, unique, and exclusive to the victim in question~

13. LiquidSwords

I get "alright me luvver" in Bristol all the time, I think it's nice though!

14. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I don't think I've been called anything I find offensive. One of my gay friends calls me 'Butch' which I don't mind :wink:

15. CyanChachki

Only when I'm in a relationship with that person, otherwise no.

16. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I get called hon all the time, doesn't bother me, but strangely enough if it was my lover I'd not want them to call me that.

And any other pet name, please no.

17. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find pet names endearing depending on the context.

If my lover uses it I secretly feel giddy :love:

18. tscott

I don't mind pet names, but they should be unique to the individual; after all, it is a nickname of sorts. Being older the one name I can't stand being called is "Daddy." It has incestuous overtones and is just creepy. Besides why would I want to be called by someone in romantic or flirtatious sense the same name my 11 year old daughter calls me. Ugh!

19. Jellal

I hate pet names, except for "Tiger."

20. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I like it as long as it's not all the time or constantly!