1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catholic Churches opinion on transgender stuff?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Clancularius, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

I've been curious to learn this because majority of my family is catholic, including my parents and if the Catholic Church is anti trans right then I won't be able to transition for a few years.

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty sure they are against it. I googled it, since I found it an interesting question. I went to a catholic high school and I never heard anything about trans issues (hardly knew trans people existed for that matter), so I was interested to know. it sounds like Pope Francis may be trying to change things in that regard but it's doubtful that will reach the general population of Catholics so quickly.

To sum up what I saw in a quick search, it sounds like Catholics believe the body is a "temple" and to paraphrase a catholic priest, transitioning destroys "perfectly functioning and healthy" organs to replace it with "imitation" organs. I think they see it as a mental disorder.

Certainly not all Catholics feel the same way though. You have all different types of Catholics and it really depends on how devout your family is and how much they listen to the church's opinion.

You will find more information quickly if you really want to know, by doing a web search.

3. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^I saw that, but it seems like it is a very individual blog that probably doesn't really represent the overarching opinion.

5. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Ah but getting the official line and then getting a different angle on the whole situation is not a bad thing methinks :wink:

---------- Post added 8th Jan 2015 at 02:06 AM ----------

It's a bit like the whole DADT thing, there was the official line and then there was what really went on once you spoke to people who were actually in the service.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't remember hearing anything regarding trans issues in church or classes, either. Strangely, I think I know more Christian transgenders than cis gay folk.

The whole "love the sinner, hate the sin" seems to be the safe assumption. If they transition but don't have an active sex life, is it still as bad?

7. Silver Springs

I'm not versed in this area of the Catechism... Unfortunately, I think it would be seen as tampering with creation if full transitioning is involved. And they could also cite the laws in the Bible against cross dressing, I suppose (I know it's different from trans, but I doubt a bunch of 80yr old men wearing dresses knows that).

Okay, I just found a letter from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (successor to the Inquisition) stating that sex reassignment surgeries does not change the canonical status of ones gender. I'm sorry.