1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Musical taste stereotypes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Irisviel, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Irisviel

As the title says, the stereotype that gay men listen to certain artists. Like, there's this thing that if a guy listens to Gaga, Beyonce etc., people would say it's "gay". I am well aware that this is a real assumption people make, and many LGBT people (men in this case, I have no idea if there's a similar thing among women) do seem to be fans of such artists that are considered "gay icons/divas".
    It is kind of contrary to my expectations, that is, one would assume that gay men should be looking for hot guys instead of Madonna :slight_smile:

I know this is a stereotype, but I am trying to understand its origins as it is often reinforced by lgbt themselves. I also find it really amusing personally, because while all the men I listen to fit any straight stereotype, but like all the women I like musically are the most stereotypically "gay" ones, hah.

Any thoughts, why almost every "gay icon/diva" (or however you want to call it) is a woman? I honestly have no idea why, and I can't provide the answer from my experience, because I am attracted to both genders (and still fall under that stereotype).

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

This is ridiculous, in my opinion.

I'm homoflexible and like indie Japanese rock music. I hate American pop.

I'm still about 90% gay.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Only gay men listen to Beyonce please don't tell the straight men that love Beyonce songs they might have a heart attack :eek:

Quick do something manly :angry:

4. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

I love mother monster and Beyoncé! I like them because they are powerful they don't let themselves be governed by men and don't adjust to the social norms, they are simply amazing IMO but I actually really like their music so of course there is that! But I tend to like artist who support LGBT+ youth and others because it's a positive way to use their power, I admire that. Not to mention the fact that not many guys in the music industry(admit their) support The LGBT community, for fear of beingcritisized,but those few who I like, and have a nice voice and don't care that they'll be critisized for supporting LGBT youth receive my full support!(i.e. Troye sivan[also is gay])

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2015 at 07:42 PM ----------

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: OMG!

5. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's just stupid stereotype, I'm Bisexual Metalhead and I hate pop. :slight_smile:

6. Gabby29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't listen to Beyonce or Lady Gaga honestly I only like a FEW new-age pop songs. I listen to all genres but mostly rock

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well that's completely absurd.

I listen to almost every type of genre you can think of and I'm willing to date... any type of... gender... or orientation.

Damn.

(No but seriously, the stereotype thing is nothing but hokum. Also my favorite it actually heavy metal even though I do listen to almost anything.)

8. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it's kind of ridiculous. I admit I think somebody listening to Lady Gaga, is likely to be more open-minded about LGBT issues. It probably doesn't have much bearing on their sexuality. They probably just think it's a wicked tune. Of course, not everyone shares the same beliefs as the artists they listen to. For example, I listen to Satanic bands and Christian bands. I share neither of their beliefs.

I think most of us listen to music we enjoy and that's that. I'm a Metalhead and I like a lot of Electronic music. I like some Pop and treat it as simple fun music. I also dig some Rap.

I'm more interested in headbanging or dancing than relating to lyrics about LGBT.

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like a lot of stereotypical gay music but not really Beyoncé or Lady Gaga (at least her new stuff). But I also like a little bit of everything, minus a few genres.

In my experience it's a fair stereotype. Of course it's not always true, though.

10. AlamoCity

Well, I think that there are some gay people who listen to this music publicly and "get all the press." I also know that many straight guys are "closeted" fans of diva/pop music.

Me? I'm 100% gay and my playlist is 95% country

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I will tear the flesh from the bones of anyone who stereotypes me in this way

12. RadioRoss

I sometimes listen to music that isnt very popular. Therefore, I am called a hipster all the time. Like, people will be screaming from the end of the hallway at me, just "HIIPSTEERRRR!" ...bleh...

13. TacobellKFC

Out Status:
    A few people
    shit I love wiz khalifa, monsters and men and lots of mainstream music I also like Katy Perry Adele ans boyz 2 men ans Johnny cash ans Lady Gaga Hank Williams The pixies and niki Minaj..currency and shabba ranks and Hanson...stereotype that world!!!

14. Acm

Acm Guest

I mostly just listen to alternative and punk rock, I don't like much pop.

15. MouseKeeper

My situation is kind of weird. Instead of specific stereotypical "that's gay" artists, I was called gay for not watching women who were highly sexualized. When word got out in school that I don't like female singers who strip on stage, I ended up with annoying attention. If I do watch female singers who are scantily clad, I watch for the music. I'm not into the whole sex appeal thing and it doesn't really do much. Some reason, people assumed I was gay because of my lack of interest in the whole sex thing.

I thought of it as an insult back then, but now I just say, "Is that a bad thing?" When they say "Yes it is," I respond, "Can you prove with sound reasoning and good science why it's bad?" That oughta shut their vacuums up. If not, their next argument is almost certainly fallacious, "Well, prove it isn't bad." The next response would be "Uh, no. That's fallacious, you're shifting the burden of proof. If you make a positive claim, YOU'RE supposed to provide proof to back up your claim, NOT me. Come back to me when you have a better argument."

:lol: I think I'm obsessed with fallacies.

#15 MouseKeeper, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  16. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not all gay men listen to that music...But, I adore Disco music...So I fall under the stereotype category...

17. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not to take this off topic (since I'm not a gay man) but some people just plain don't listen to the music you'd expect. People are generally very surprised when I tell them I'm a huge fan of a German punk band.

More on topic, I think some of the idea behind the stereotype (not that I am saying it is true) is that these female performers are very flamboyant, even if it's not quite in the same way that some gay men are flamboyant. (I know in a different generation gay men were supposedly into Bette Midler...) Not sure if I would say Beyonce totally fits that but obviously Lady Gaga does.

18. White Knight

Lets first start with female icons and divas. It is the probably most easy one. Did you ever hear a man sing about how he loved a man? his man? how he hate that man as he gone to a (another) woman?

Maybe other gay icon help us understand divas more... Wonder Woman. In the past men ruled the word. When feminist icons rise and challenge men dominant system it also impressed us. While there is a certain truth in homophobia comes from both genders, it is undeniable truth that men are more homopohic than females in general. So those strong women showed us we can be grand no matter males think of us... it is quite a feat in a male dominant socities.

There are also other factors like lack of important female stars in some music genres (metal and rap in their early times), lack of club exposure and lack of ability to company dance... gay guys love to dance... mostly. My straight brother love it more than me but I like it as well.

Not all divas are from pop genre either... Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler names that comes to my mind who are not Pop Stars.

Pop stars always acknowledged their gay fans which means acceptence what we craved for years... Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Cher, Cindy Lauper, Samantha Fox or Lady Gaga gave masses what they wanted... being loved as they are, supporting them no matter who they love or what they call themselves. They even take pride in those gay fans.

At the end of the day music is music. I don't like "I never listen X music" attidute. I don't put horse glasses on my musical taste... I try and decide if I like it or not the song/singer in front of me. I find it somehow weird for gay guys to judge things with their labels while they've been hurt from same thing for ages.

19. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Gay people listen to all kinds of music.... BUT I have yet to find an straight guy who listens to Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Ariana Grande, Katy Perry and Christina Aguilera

Older guys I know that listen to Madonna tend to be straight and were fans in the 80's, but the younger ones are not

20. White Knight

We grew up as 5 close friends... I am being only gay one. However for us the song that everyone knows was "Like a Prayer"... everyone I know had/have at least one favorite Madonna song.

She is the Queen for a reason, right.

[YOUTUBE]Ghcjg65hLDw[/YOUTUBE]

here enjoy. :grin: