1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions from the Australians and others "in the know"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The notion of going to Australia is gaining more momentum. I could go there on miles I've accumulated, so I'd only have to pay the taxes for the ticket. Our family has friends and distant relatives in Melbourne.

If you had 2 weeks (15 or 16 days with the weekends), and you wanted to see Australia, and maybe New Zealand, how would you use these days? I'd like to see Sydney, Melbourne, and one more place in Australia (should it be Brisbane, Adelaide, Ayers Rock, Canberra?) As for New Zealand, is Auckland enough? I will not be renting a car.

I like going to the beach, eating different kinds of food, seeing cool neighborhoods and buildings, visiting historical places, and enjoying beautiful panoramas or landscapes. (This is starting to sound like a personal ad). I'm so-so on museums, so I'd only be interested in the most popular ones. I don't like bars or rowdy pubs, shark infested waters, and dangerous animals. Is it possible to either hold or get up close to a koala bear or a wallaby?

Are these cities and places really expensive, like London, for example? London felt like a major punch to the stomach as far as hitting you in the wallet. And how do they treat Americans? I'm wondering if they think one thing and then treat you another way, just to be polite.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first disclaimer is that one should avoid Canberra like the plague if there's nothing in particular on. It's remarkably boring for most tourists, even if it's a very pleasant place to live.

Another point I'm going to have to venture is that Australia's size means that you'll be dead-tired by trying to go everywhere. If you go to Uluru (please do not call it Ayers Rock), you might find that the heat and isolation of the Northern Territory aren't worth it. Train networks are not the best, though they're not terrible along the East Coast. You might find yourself flying everywhere, or taking a coach if you're intending to be more economical. Either way, your best choice is to cut out Perth if you're short on time. You might possibly sacrifice a visit to the amazing natural beauty of the Northern Territory and North Queensland. The largest population centres are in the South-East, which is still quite a large area, geographically.

For animals, my suggestion is Taronga Zoo in Sydney. There are a lovely selection of animals, gorgeous views of Sydney and the atmosphere is as much one of a public garden as it is of a zoo. Whatever you do, don't try to find a wild Australian animal and get cuddly with it. Even wallabies aren't very friendly without proper domestication.

And yes, some of the major cities are more expensive than or roughly equal to London (save real estate), especially Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra. You will most likely find them quite costly and some prices will seem ridiculous, even with the Australian dollar at a very low comparative value as it is now. The costs tend to surprise visitors, but the charms of the country combined with your luck in currency conversion will probably offset that a little - just follow Australian markets and convert your money when the AUD is at the estimated low of 1 AUD=75 US cents in the coming months.

Stay out of rougher areas of Western Sydney (which is becoming something of an anachronism; it's no longer dangerous in most parts of Western Sydney and the worst you'll find in most suburbs is lawns too well-kept and houses too neat and soulless) and King's Cross (a notoriously dangerous and boisterous bar district of Sydney) and you'll not be subjected to harm or disgust. But be warned; you may very well have a heart attack at the price for a nice meal, with or without wine :lol:

You'll probably want to stay in Eastern Sydney and a fairly central area of Melbourne; it makes walking around not only possible but pleasurable, puts you quite close to centres of culture, business and history and avoids the (still rather safe) doldrums of the outer suburbs, even if you can find cheaper accommodation there, and will make sure your memory of Australia isn't suburbia you could find anywhere in America.

When it comes to monuments to remember, Sydney's your best bet, including the University of Sydney - it's quite a beautiful set of buildings, much like the University of Melbourne or any of the Sandstone Universities. If you like quaint churches and an older feel, you might like Adelaide. Brisbane sometimes feels like a city built on swampland (it very nearly is), but the nearby Gold Coast has glorious beaches. Canberra's quiet, most of it is hidden and you might find yourself over-reliant on asking locals where things besides the Parliament, National Museum, National Portrait Gallery and High Court are. In Melbourne, walk through the arcades and just have fun shopping or browsing; it's quite nice and you'll be able to find a decent cup of coffee or a deservedly pretentious tea easily. Read a few reviews (Good Food Australia is a nice place to start) and you'll be able to find something to your taste just about anywhere. You might like some relatively rugged bush such as the (well-protected) national parks in the inland areas (by that, I mean the ones that look coastal on an Australia-wide map) or the lush Southern Tablelands, an area with emerald-green forests and stunning views from the mountains. Home | NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service has a list of lovely natural areas in NSW, covering quite a few different types of forests that might match your interests.

Americans are an accepted part of life. Australia is quite cosmopolitan; almost everyone is well-versed in American culture and a large number are tolerably aware of America's political and social issues. However, whatever you do, laugh immediately at any suggestion of drop-bears and take none of the speakers seriously; quite a few Australians love playing that prank and foreigners still don't seem to catch on despite its fame among Australians and those subjected to the stories.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask me. I tried my best to give what seems a half-useful response, but it obviously doesn't cover a fraction of what you might like to see and what's to be seen.

3. Silver Springs

I'm from Brisbane, but I wouldn't want to visit here as a tourist. It really is a city built on swampland. However, for cuddly animals you can't beat Lone Pine Sanctuary or Australia Zoo. Brisbane is also a nice platform for travelling to the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Yamba, or Byron Bay, all of which have absolutely stunning beaches. Prices are fairly reasonable here as well, particularly when compared to Melbourne or Sydney.

Definitely don't go to Canberra (it's tourism industry is seemingly based around primary school civics classes). Adelaide is rather boring, though if you like wine there are some nice vineyard tours (but then the Hunter Valley is in a better location and makes some wonderful wines). Perth is boring and way too far away. I love Sydney, plenty to do. Melbourne isn't really my cup of tea (my boyfriend loves it though). Apparently Tasmania is nice, but I've never been. DO NOT go to Northern QLD or anywhere in the Northern Territory this time of year. You will die of heatstroke. The Great Barrier Reef isn't that great, neither are the rainforests near Cairns.

Aussie792: Why did you tell him about the drop bears?!?!

4. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah, watch out for Drop bears. They are scary!

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I went, there's a very strong possibility I wouldn't come back. :wink:

6. method

If you are budgeting two weeks, I would choose only one of the countries to visit. It would be a very diluted experience trying to do both in that timeframe.

It's hard to get around without a car in New Zealand, especially to scenic areas. Virtually all locals drive, but there are tourist hop on/hop off bus routes that do exist if you choose not to drive.

Seeing Auckland is not the same as seeing New Zealand in my opinion. You'd most likely arrive via Auckland, but you need to get out the city to experience the more memorable treasures our country has to offer.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for all the answers so far. Great answer, Aussie792, because it really steered me away from some places I might have looked into further. So, it looks like it could be Melbourne, Sydney, somewhere beautiful on the Gold Coast, Auckland, and maybe one place scenic in NZ, but possibly on a planned excursion or something. I won't drive because it's the opposite of North America and I don't want to risk that.

kidnz, I hear you and I've heard that about NZ, too ... that each island is way different in different parts. If I took you guys' airline, I'd have to go through Auckland anyway. If I'm all the way down there, I do want to see something in NZ. I think I'd be happy with 4 days in each Melbourne and Sydney, plus one day for some serious jet lag. That leaves about another 8 days. The people we know in Australia sound like they'd be happy to see me. That's good, too.

Now I'm wanting to sleuth what a "drop bear" is. Sounds like a fake stuffed koala bear they shove into people's arms or something strange like that.

8. Haim

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, you will experience some culture shock with the prices of things here! The cost of food is ridiculous compared to the US for a much smaller serving. No free refills of drinks :wink:

Melbourne is an amazing city, very easy to navigate and plenty to see and do. Perhaps a trip out to the NSW hinterlands (Blue Mountains) or up to the Macedon Ranges (VIC) would satisfy your need to see beautiful landscapes. Sydney has some nice beaches (Bondi and Manly).

Which time of the year were you planning to travel? Anything outside of early autumn (March-April) or spring (Sept - Nov) will like be terribly hot or freezing cold :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I lived my whole life in Auckland up until a couple years ago. I reckon two weeks is no where near enough time to see both countries. There's just too much to see and do imo.

There's a lot to do in Auckland and yes, it is the biggest city in NZ but it hardly represents all that New Zealand has to offer. I think it's vital that any traveller wanting to tour NZ spend a decent amount of time in the South Island. The scenery is awesome the culture vibrant and there's an abundance of tourist-y type things you can do there!

The people, I find, are wonderfully friendly! You'll see for yourself if you decide to go there. Enjoy your holiday :slight_smile:

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have heard that from everybody, but I've also heard that about Australia. I've just heard it slightly more about New Zealanders.

I know they are both large countries with a lot of variety. It's like the U.S., with 2 very different coasts, and a vast interior. You can't do it all on one short trip if coming from overseas. You might get to see 3 or 4 different major places and then fly back home feeling like a wet noodle!

11. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Australia is much bigger than NZ so you'd probably need more time to see everything. Whenever my friends here plan a trip to NZ I always tell them that 2-3 weeks is enough time to have a complete NZ holiday.

I'm just saying that if it were me (and I could afford it) I'd visit one country now and plan a different vacay for the other. I wouldn't want to miss out on anything.