1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's: Warehouse Clubs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jan 8, 2015.

1. AlamoCity

Do you have or use a membership at Costco or Sam's Club (or BJ's)? What do you like about them?

I have memberships to Sam's and Costco (dad needs Sam's for work and I have a complimentary card and mom has Costco and I am an add-on there). We don't have a BJ's Warehouse over here. I think that Sam's is geared more towards businesses and Costco a little more towards households.

Personally, I love Costco. I really prefer Kirkland products over Sam's Choice. Not all products are good to get at either store, (for example, we have more variety at the grocery stores), but on other things they are great (e.g. bottled water, paper products, juices, etc.). Today I got two gallons of fresh-pressed apple juice for about $8.50.

Overall, warehouse clubs can be time savers on bulk purchases, but have limited flexibility in variety and price points. Still, I find them incredibly helpful to use.

2. White Knight

I have no idea what you are talking about but I am amazed they could get BJ as a company name...

3. AlamoCity

Well, we all call our cousin BJ. No one laughs :lol:. Maybe they're all too prude to know what it means.

Warehouse clubs are basically big stores/warehouses where people buy larger-than-average sized portions of products. For example, cereal boxes might be 4 times the average size at a grocery store. Basically, you're buying in bulk name-brand products.

[​IMG]

4. White Knight

Ah I see. They are not that common in here. We have only one and mostly used by smaller stores to get products cheaper.

Heh that BJ thing is like my FO on DDO. As it was commonly used as Finish Out(recall, get out of the mission map) I was prude to it is more common meaning. My new DDO player friends usually get shocked when they first hear it. :grin:

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Costco is as good as it gets as far as being a good corporate citizen. They pay their staff quite well, have excellent house-branded products (many organic and usually made by the national brand manufacturers) an excellent return/satisfaction policy, and great prices.

Sam's is decent. But not nearly as good to either their employees or customers.

Very little experience with BJs, though I have been to one a couple times.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My family used to have a Costco membership when my parents were together and when my brother and two cousins also lived here. My mother stopped it after a year, realising that the food intended for being stored was being eaten quickly simply because it was there, at a rate that made bulk purchases unjustifiable. She decided that even with less food in the house, we'd all be decently satisfied. She was quite right.

Doing a small amount of grocery shopping twice a week or so seems much nicer, especially with only two people at home. It opens up more choices and encourages seasonally-appropriate foods rather than everything's being packaged and uniform.

I must admit that I do miss having enough spare olive oil to run a car or two and the comfort of knowing that there'd always be a stray box of cereal somewhere in the back of the pantry if my parents were away. But I think that's as much having a much smaller household as it is not having a Costco membership.

7. AKTodd

We have both a Costco and a BJs membership. We literally shop at Costco on a weekly basis.

Todd

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We shop at Costco. Among other things they have by far the best gas prices in our market.

9. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is only a Sam's club near where I live and I do not have a membership but one of my roommates does and he forces me a long with him on shopping trips there... I hate that place... The prices honestly suck in my mind but that's just me. I hate the atmosphere of that place... It just makes me uncomfortable for some reason... :confused:
    I don't like Walmart either.... It's evil! Trust me I worked there!! :grin:

10. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I eat at Costco, Does that count? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And I like how much they pay the employees.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a Costco membership. Generally speaking, I like Costco. I don't go as often as I could because I don't buy in bulk. I actually go in there for single item electronics purchases, tires, name brand jeans at great prices, and an occasional specialty food item. Mostly, it's the prices on the tires and the included services on them after the sale that I like. I like that VERY much. That alone pays for the membership.

You can't beat some of their eating area specials, such as the hot dog and drink. Come on! And, if that wasn't enough, they always have samples. I'm sure a person could sample enough food in a year to pay for their membership if they were that cheap.

Sam's doesn't register with me. They're around, but I would just go to Walmart. I won't knock on Walmart. They do what they do well. Some of their prices on things are literally amazing. I know they are not always the best corporate citizens.

We don't have BJs here. But that would be hard to turn down! I'm just kidding. I don't think I've even seen one!

Also, is it any wonder that higher paying Costco has some good looking guys working there? I have seen some that were smokin'. I can't say that about Walmart. A link between looks and earnings has been established by studies. I'm starting to go off topic right about now ....

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom has a business membership at Sam's Club, and we'll only go there for dog food and dog biscuits on a regular basis, as those are two things we go through a lot of, and it just makes sense to get them in bulk.

It's too bad there's not a Costco closer to home, as I have an aversion to all things Wal-Mart (Sam's Club is a spin-off brand of Wal-Mart in case you didn't know that already), and I have not heard of a BJ's either where my parents live or where I go to school. A quick search of their website reveals that's because there's not a BJ's anywhere in Michigan, and 34 other states.

13. Bolin

I actually used to work for Sam's Club around the time I first joined EC. I haven't been to BJ's or Costco, but many of my former customers said that Costco was much better than Sam's Club (and honestly, I wasn't surprised to hear that). I currently have a Sam's Club membership, but only because it's slightly closer to my home. I rarely visit Sam's unless I need to buy lots of bottled water, which is about once every month.

14. Psaurus918

We only have BJ's here and while its a fine store its not much cheaper. I was in there the other day with a friend and for example a 3 pack of kleenex was only like .80 cheaper than just buying 3 at the grocery store. To me its not really worth it unless I was buying everything in bulk.

On the other hand tho, I really like Costco as a company (the way they treat their employees) if we had one here I'd probably shop there on occasion to show support

15. Gallatin

No Costco near us, so we've always had a Sam's Club membership. Also had BJ's for a short time, but found it so similar to Sam's that there was no real point in keeping both.

I don't shop at Sam's much but mainly go there to get a few select items every so often.

16. Hiems

My dad had a Costco membership about 10 years ago when we lived in NYC. My family and I would go to Costco almost every week. It was quite fun to taste all of the food samples. I enjoyed chicken bake from the food court. Really tasty stuff :grin:

I don't shop at warehouse clubs anymore because there is a supermarket chain called Wegmans that I go to instead. Its stores are located in the northeast and Virginia. You don't need a membership to shop at the store. It has most of the bulk items that you could get at the warehouse clubs too. Produce is also inexpensive, yet it has good quality.

I believe Costco has a pharmacy. Since they pay and treat their employees well, I will try to apply for a job at this place after graduation.

17. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents have a business membership at Sam's which I swear they only got just so they can go and eat free samples.

We have a Costco but Ive never been to it before.

I have been to a BJs when we were vacationing near Buffalo. I was highly disapointed that I could not get any BJs in bulk there.:grin:

18. Psaurus918

WEGMANS!!! I use to live in Rochester where Wegmans started and their flagship store is 2 levels and its awesome!

19. ravenclaw1991

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    We have a local Sam's.. My mom has a membership, but we don't go very often. I used to love going because they had a huge book section and they had tables of those huge "coffee table" books that are way too big for shelves. I love books like that.. But then they shrunk the book section and now it sucks.

20. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I have one for SAMs club and some of their prices are pretty good it just depends what you are trying to buy. I'm getting ready to move on my own so I don't think I will really be going there for anything aside from maybe cleaners but the membership was free through work so I'll keep it.