1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haha, choked due to TV show.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tim, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim

So, I was watching the show "The Eleventh Hour" on CBS today, and in the end, the guy was saying how Carmine, a red food coloring is made from insects. I look down, notice the candy I'm eating is red, and start gagging XD I look at the label, only to see the red food coloring named...

Cochineal, Carminic acid, Carmines and Natural Red 4 are the names for Carmine, which I instantly had my mom look up. Only to find Natural Red 4 was on the food. So I threw it away, and now I'm afraid to eat red things XD

Anyone else ever do this with a food when you find out it's made from something you didn't know it was?

2. Janvier

If only you knew what else was in your food...
    You'd starve :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Tim

Tim

Oh, I get over it sooner or later, I wouldn't touch Jello for like 5 years >_>

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

For the most part, if it tastes good, I'll eat it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have had that issue before though with a certain type of cereal (forget the name).

5. Helen

Helen Guest

I'm off all crisps apart from Ready Salted and Salt and Vinegar, as well as all diet drinks.

I've just had an aspartame scare, so yeah, I'm very careful about what I eat :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. epiphanies

You'd be surprised how many insects are in our food. They are actually very healthy and full of protein, which is why they get added. You know those brown/black specks in cereal? Those aren't there for decoration.

7. Tim

Tim

Thanks. Now I won't touch cereal for who knows how long Lol

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    One time I was watching one of my nephews while his mom bowled. She used to send those little canned hotdogs for his dinner. I looked at the ingredients and felt sick. I told her he'd be eating what the rest of us eat from now on.

9. epiphanies

haha sorry. But it's in a lot of things, and completely healthy.

10. Mickey

This thread should help me lose weight!

11. myra

In my view the FDA is trying to poison us. They allow so much junk in our food that is actually outlawed in other countries because of the problems they cause. Red dye is just one of the many things that can hurt you. I find it ironic. All the food they sell where the proceeds go to cancer research have ingredients that have been proven to actually cause cancer. Our society has been getting sicker and sicker over the last few generations, not because of pollution or global warming or things we do to the environment, but because of the poisons that the FDA is putting into our bodies by allowing it in the food we eat.

12. Keiss

Austin, Texas / Charlotte, North Carolina
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't you think that some personal responsibility has some role of what we eat? The FDA isn't making us buy or eat anything. You choose to buy and consume it. If you have such a huge issue of what is in your food at the supermarket, make the food yourself.

13. sdc91

lol I've known that carmine was dried, ground up beetles for a while.

It sure makes things look appetizing, though.

I don't get why people don't eat stuff like that. If it was bad for you, they wouldn't serve it.

14. Étoile

While I do see your point in having a say-so in what goes in our body, growing all of our food just isn't an option for the majortiy of Americans. Could you imagine what would happen to the economy and technology if every adult American just quit their jobs and started their own farm?

15. MusicIsLife

I avoid a ton of foods that are bad for me, though i occasionally indulge on things that are bad for me, like diet pepsi and doritos :slight_smile:

16. just wanna B me

this is such a controversial issue for me.. I do eventually want to have my own garden to supplement some of what i eat... It does upset me when I know that a lot of people generally think that FDA approval actually stands for something.. when in reality .. as a society we are probably causing the abnormal or mutated cells to grow in our bodies ..
    A truth i learned over the sumer.. I was working at a large factory .. when the corporate health and safety reps came in to our class during training.. they happened to share a few personal experiences of the so called "standards" that are used in the food packaging industry. what i remember vividly was the legs wings & abdomens..
    this is the gauge they use to determine the grade of jube jube ... they basically have huge open vats of mixture .. regardless of their color and as they fail the grade standard instead of dumping it ... it falls into the no name brand vat... several occasions where safety guards were breached.. body parts or in one terrible case an entire body had fallen into an open vat of grape juicy juice.. i hope in at least that case they disposed of the contents of the vat and not packaged it .. many of the less severe cases for a finger her or there.. Campbell soup was mentioned & for those bug fanatics i won't go into detail but if you know you would probably never buy canned fruit again..

17. Keiss

Austin, Texas / Charlotte, North Carolina
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never said you had to grow your own food. Just cook it. As far as agricultural standards go, the US leads the way. There is only so much that go wrong with fruits and vegetables.

Even still, why do we criticize our own food standards, when we have the highest in the world? Thousands of people in this world are dying due to food borne illness, malnutrition, or even not being able to eat. I don't think we often find this issue in America. I'm pretty sure that thousands of us here in the states, eat very well.

Besides, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

18. Pixbadgirl

Most of us in North America have the option to support local, organic and all-natural food growers and purchase organic products at the grocery stores now. Sometimes it's a little more expensive, but often buying locally not only means that you save money, but you are supporting local farmers, and you are being more environmentally friendly by reducing the distance your food has to travel from the producer to your table. There are so many choices now. We don't have to support the huge conglomorates who don't give a rats-ass (literally) what goes into our foods or our bodies. Use the power of your purchasing dollars!!! ...although you might still have to watch for bugs... hahaha

19. jazzrawr

Ahaha, mom...bugs...*shudders*

You now muct NEVER BUY any buggy products.
    EVER.
    EVER.
    AGAIN.
    XD

20. rosiejuly3

This is gonna keep me from eating for awhile. I didn't know about the red dye thing.. huh.. I know that most food has bugs in it, but I don't like to think about what I'm eating.