1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite and least favorite classes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Quiet Raven, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Quiet Raven

Simple question. In school, (it can be any time from elementary to post secondary) what are some of the classes you liked the most, and disliked the most. And why?

My favorite class was probably English in Grade 8. English was my favorite subject in general, but I enjoyed it in grade 8 the most because I had an amazing teacher. He was in general very liked by a lot of people because of his sense of humor, and overal friendliness.

My favorite part of the class is that every so often he gave out assignments to write short stories. He would give a sentence and just say, "write a story that starts with/or ends with this sentence." And it was really fun just coming up with silly stories with those sentences. It was this year that I first really discovered my love for writing.

This teacher was only there for one year. After that, he got a job at a high school. The one I went to. He taught drama. And, because art was full, I took drama in grade 10. This was the worst class I ever took. Yup. Both the best and worst classes were by the same teacher, lol.

Thankfully, because I really liked the teacher, it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but it was still pretty horrible. You see, I am very socially awkward. I have trouble speaking anything if more then a few people will hear. It terrifies me. Drama class forces me to do that constantly. This was the only class I ever actually skipped. And I did it often. I just couldn't do it. I was literally terrified to go to that class. Whenever I had a presentation to do, even the final exam, I usually just didn't go.

I have no idea how I passed.

2. Hiems

I enjoyed OTC therapeutics because the material we were taught for this class has practical use. Many patients at the pharmacy I work at ask us questions about OTC drugs, so the knowledge acquired from that class helped me answer their questions.

I disliked physics. My professor's thick accent made his lectures difficult to understand. It also doesn't help that physics confuses me so much; concepts were harder to grasp than the math, which is just algebra. I ended up teaching myself most of the material. Walked out of the class with a B+. I never want to go through a class with similar circumstances.

3. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

In general, I liked math and science. I've had some not so good teachers, but those classes were my jam. I really liked calc in college because I had an awesome professor. And animal biology and genetics, oh god, those two are heaven to me! I guess that's the reason I'm a bio major.

Not the biggest fan of english or history classes. The only portion of history that I find particularly interesting is WWII, other than that I think it's pretty boring.

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll always hated math, so it's my least favourite.

In highschool I took a few shop/woodworking classes and they were my favourite (no gay jokes :lol: )

Right now, with the classes I'm in, I'd say Psychology is my favoruite (thanks bad bio prof :dry:slight_smile:. I'd rate the current semester best to worse: Psyc, bio/Chem, physics, Linear Algebra.

5. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate PE and Russian. I enjoy English, history, biology, drawing, music and sometimes math, because it's B level, easy.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as basic academics go, I always loved science and history as a kid. But when I got older, I lost interest more. I don't know how much that had to do with the teacher and my peers or my overall depression at the time. I was always an A or B student when I applied myself, but was a C typically. Least, math. I was a straight A student and practically a mini calculator as a child, but then I lost my skills and it became my weakest subject.

But as far as every class I had, Latin and psychology were my favorites--though the latter was a pain because my classmates were lazy, loud seniors and that's when my depression was at it's peak. Least, game design. It was too complicated and stressful for me to where I had drop it after two or so weeks.

But beyond that, English and Math. I blame most of that on my classmates and how I hated reading material that wasn't on my own time (I dragged my feet a lot my junior year); being that type of reader that can't just be tossed something and be told to do some work sheets. I like reading when I'm in the mood, but never had interest in what I was given for the most part.

7. Quiet Raven

That reminds me, I took some woodworking classes as well in Junior High.

All we did was sand, lol. My teacher did all the actual "woodworking" and we just sanded the whole class... lol.

8. Psaurus918

In college I loved sociology, I liked it so much I took every sociology course my school offered just for the heck of it.

I absolutely hate, HATE math

9. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Math is my favorite. I want to be some sort of mathematician when I grow up
    Second is health because I like the teacher/the way he teaches
    Then English because of the subject
    Then after that is band probably
    I dislike science, not because of the subject (I love the subject) but because some people in my class are total freaking idiots and we never get through anything because the teacher has to discipline them so much
    And then social studies at the bottom.

10. PressPlay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Physics/Math are the worst! :bang:

Favourite was always art class (!)

11. Quiet Raven

My history 10 class was sort of like that. Except it was more because my teacher focused on the littlest things to stop and rant about. Rather then the students being idiots. (Although they kinda were at times) Like when someone was absent the day before, she would interigate them to find out why. (That's none of her freaking business!) And one time when a student joked and said to another student coming in, "hey turn out the lights!" She spent like 10 minutes ranting about how she is the boss and no one else is allowed to give orders but her.

Come on lady, just relax and start teaching us history already. It's actually pretty interesting.

#11 Quiet Raven, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  12. TacobellKFC

Out Status:
    A few people
    I HATE Math...my favourite was in between classes I would spark up the one hitter and float through the day like a champ..

13. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My favorite was Math
    My least favorite was English.

My least favorite for this semester will probably be project-based instruction
    And my favorites will be number theory and financial math.

Always am frightened by the number of people that hate math and it disheartens me.

14. Quiet Raven

Why is that? It's just opinions.

15. Jellal

My favorite was a philosophy course I took in high school. It was super open-ended and the professor was amazingly chill, anything I wanted to look into or discuss I was allowed to do. There was also an awesome class I took in film studies that got me to watch movies I never would have seen otherwise, it got me to broaden my horizons a bit. Nothing comes close to how much fun these classes were. They made me actually excited to go to school every day and I never ever would have dreamed of skipping them. It felt like actual worthwhile learning.

I hate math with a flaming passion. I've despised every math class I've ever taken (except statistics, which for some reason I was amazing at. I got 100% perfect score on the final and to this day I'm still not sure why I find statistics easy.) Also I suck at courses in learning different languages. And chemistry can go die. I always wished there was a way I could go through my schooling taking only the classes I was actually interested in rather ones I was forced into just so I could "pass."

16. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I only hated P.E, the rest I liked...

17. Hiems

Maybe it's because the way you study for math and classes similar to it, e.g. chemistry, physics, involves doing practice problems ad nauseum. However, people aren't used to studying that way, and so that's why they dislike math.

18. Quiet Raven

I wasn't asking why people dislike math. I hate math myself, lol. It is the only class I hate more then drama. I hate it because I suck at organizing. And I have a hard time keeping so many numbers in my head at once in order to figure out the problems. I feel like my head is going to explode.

Randy said he was frightened and disheartened by the people who hate math. I was asking why that is.

19. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Furthermore, it's usually the reasons behind their opinions i.e., not good at it, horrible math teacher etc. Those are usually the answers I receive. Makes me think if it weren't for those reasons, it'd be a totally different story.

20. Quiet Raven

Well yeah. If I wasn't so horrible at it I wouldn't hate it. That is true.

I never had a bad math teacher though. Most of them were pretty cool.