1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This video freed me from all religions, COMPLETELY.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Damien, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been steadily losing my faith in the supernatural for years, but I think Hitchen's brilliant talk here has put the final nail in the coffin of whatever lingering doubt I had, that religion really is, for me, a superstition, a thing of the past. My mind feels freer than since I was a little child (ie, when no-one had yet tried to sell me any spiritual ideology, or mold or shape my mind to believe the implausible).

We don't need religion to tell us what is good and what is evil, how to live our lives well and with kindness, really, human beings can, and always have, figured all these basic things out for themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[YOUTUBE]U1lTR8V90qU[/YOUTUBE]

2. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I can see this thread blowing up :wink:

Ah Mr Hitchens such an elegant speaker, may he rest in peace :frowning2: You may want to look up Richard Dawkins.

For my part I'm not a subscriber to any religion, I'm fine with others subscribing to it as long as they don't force it upon others and it doesn't impact others in their daily life who don't subscribe to it. Separation of church and state is of the utmost importance - fortunately we do quite well in the UK in that regard whereas religion seems to permeate other governments including the USA.

I'm quite a fan of the Secular Humanist movement - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism

#2 gazwkd, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
  3. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ....Not to be a minimod but let's keep this thread away from arguing about religion.

Myself I believe there was probably some sort of creator but I don't follow any religion.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, even Bill Maher … allow me to breathe fresh air!!

5. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Arguing about this is pointless. The outlook on life should be shared among the masses though: Live, and let live. All it takes is the naked eye and a clear night sky to see what's out there. We're walking around on a tiny ball, which is a tiny spec in the universe. What does it matter what you do (in your bedroom no less) in the grand scheme of things? The universe will keep running no matter what. That might be a comforting thought to those struggling to accept themselves.

We're all in the Matrix

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could say "ah, but...", but for the sake of forum harmony, I will resist. :slight_smile: