1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kyriarchy, Intersectionality and LGBT rights.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by antibinary, Jan 10, 2015.

1. antibinary

Some of you may have heard the terms 'Heteronormativity' in discussions on homophobia (Basically the belief that everyone is and should be straight), or patriarchy in feminist discussions (A society that elevates men of women and non-binary people like ours.) There's a (relatively) new term being thrown around and that is Kyriarchy. Kyriarchy is a system which discriminates aginst mulitiple groups. This has the effect on the lgbt rights groups group is that it is mainly white gay cisgender men that get's represented. In feminism it's that mostly white straight cisgender women's voices get represented. It affects each of us differently. This is why playing the oppression olympics sucks.

Let's take me for example (I'm going to use my parents classes as I'm only 13).

I'm privilleged in these ways
    White.
    Able-bodied.
    English speaker.
    Literate.
    Middle Class.

I'm oppressed in these ways.

Biofemale.
    Non-binary.
    (As I live in Britan my atheism isn't going to oppress me but it would in America)
    Pansexual. (As in not straight)
    Pansexual. (As in not monosexual)
    Autistic.

The social justice group addressing this use the term Intersectionality to describe the way you sort it out.

So what are your thoughts on this, and how can we make the Queer rights group be more inclusive.