1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you consider yourself intelligent?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aussie792, Jan 10, 2015.

?

I would call myself:

1. Exceptionally intelligent

23.2%
  2. Somewhat or just above average intelligence

40.6%
  3. Average

16.8%
  4. Somewhat or just below average intelligence

1.9%
  5. Well below average intelligence

3.2%
  6. I reject the concept of intelligence/I don't know how to answer

14.2%
  1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's said that intelligence is often claimed but rarely demonstrated. Many people consider themselves to be intelligent, but there are a multitude of opinions as far as the precise meaning of the word goes.

Do you think that you're intelligent? Why? What do you think makes a person intelligent or not?

2. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am intelligent enough to understand what you are trying to do here. We as human beings are all exceptionally intelligent, or at the very least have the capacity to be.

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't like to say.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Compared to an infant, I'm a genius.
    Compared to a child, I'm gifted.
    Compared to a teenager, I'm knowledgeable.
    Compared to an adult, I'm acceptable.

Exceptions exist of course, like a child prodigy or some really learned individuals. But for the most part, I know I'm smart-enough. I know what I'm good at, what I'm learning, and what tends to kick my ass in terms of academics and fields. I have my fortes, and my weaknesses.

While I know what I can do, and have pride in that, I'm capable of admitting I do not know something. I'm smart-enough to know, if I ever want to get smarter, than you have to be willing to take criticism, tips, and learn from others. That's one of the best ways to get better, or in this case more intelligent.

Now, what makes somebody intelligent? Well, there's IQ scores, but that can be debated until the cows come home. There's capability in something, but you'll be hard-pressed to find a universal genius, who just so happens to be a master of every single thing. Then there's the humility to accept one as they are, which includes strengths and weaknesses, but who make the most of those, and are willing to better themselves.

All that said, I tend to believe I slide more towards clever than intelligent. Sure, I know a bit of this and a lot of that, but I'm not a memory bank or a formula-producing machine. If I can do something, I'll do what I can to get it done or learned. But, if I cannot, then I'll find someone who can -- possibly learning from them in the process. This, in my opinion, is what makes me more clever than intelligent:

I may not know how to accomplish something, but I damn well know who can.

5. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on how you would define "intellegence". Sure, I'm studying Econometrics, but that doesn't make me think I'm intelligent. Intellegence is more of a personal concept, than an absolute concept, and in my opinion, people who are considered "unintelligent" can be "intelligent" in certain things.

I do consider myself "unintelligent" in history, but "intelligent" in the more mathematical side. I cannot conclude whether I'm intelligent, I have some knowledge about things and I lack knowledge about other things. I find the concept of absolute intelligence quite inane.

6. AlamoCity

When it comes to what people consider "standard" intelligence (e.g. based on cognitive tests like Stanford-Binet), I'd say I'm slightly above "average."

When it comes to the understanding that intelligence is multifaceted, I'd say I have some strengths and weaknesses.

I think that we sometimes view intelligence as something that can be boiled down to a single quantifiable number, but I think that is a travesty because we are much more complex than a single number.

By the way, based on how the poll is set up, one can see how everyone votes :lol:.

#6 AlamoCity, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  7. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm intelligence in the common meaning of intelligence: school was easy, riddles and problem solving are funny, I like math and science. I'm inquiring.
    On the other way I'm stupid in so many ways, I'm awkward in social skills, very slow to learn languages and movements (never learn to swim).

So I would say I'm intelligent just above the average, if you mean logical intelligence.

8. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Intelligence
    ɪnˈtɛlɪdʒ(ə)ns/
    noun
    the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

I think we're all innately intelligent (albeit to varying levels of Intelligence) :slight_smile:

#8 raiden04, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  9. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I consider myself intelligent, and have always been considered so by people around me as well. Intelligent logically, memory-wise, I learn very fast and all that crap lol. School has always been easy (I nearly skipped a grade twice, which is very uncommon to do here) etc.

However, my issues with concentration (I match the ADD profile, but can't be diagnosed due to my depression) slows me down to a more average level. It took some time to realize that I had these problems, as I still perform above average in school. Often when I talk to teachers about it, they say that it's not something they've noticed. It's really frustrating to know that I could perform better, if it wasn't for this.

Right now, I perform worse than normally, as I lack energy, which affects my concentration negatively. When I have problems with concentration, I must spend even more energy on school work. This makes me even more tired. It's a vicious circle.

There's different kinds of intelligence. For example, a person with a really high IQ can be stupid. I think that when one exceeds a certain level of intelligence, it can become more of a con than a pro.

10. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know I am considered intelligent by some people and I also have tested high on intelligence tests in the past, but do I consider myself intelligent? I don't know.

To some extent I feel that being considered intelligent and actual intelligence are mutually incompatible, and the more socially I am validated as 'intelligent', the more ignorant I feel actually.

11. tulipinacup

In terms of academically intelligent, I wouldn't think so. I do think I'm knowledgeable in areas than other people but at the same time I'm surprised when they say I'm smart when really I just have the tendency to not show my weaknesses in areas where I'm not familiar with.

I think society would tell that a person who studies astrophysics is deemed as intelligent or someone who studies law or medicine but where do poets, artists, music reviewers fall under?

While I don't consider myself as intelligent, I really hate it when people tell me I'm dumb, lol. I just think it's a big insult. I can be called ugly or an asshole just don't call me stupid.

12. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You shouldn't be called ugly or an asshole either.

13. tulipinacup

I can take it, I'm a man.:tears:

14. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A man that can take being called ugly or an asshole but not stupid? lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A difficult question to answer Aussie. You could say it's an intelligent question. :slight_smile:

How does one really ascribe intelligence when there are so many things to factor in? In some respects I'd say I'm exceptionally intelligent, in others I'm very average.

Academic excellence is often used as a measure of intelligence, but I think it's a deeply flawed way of looking at it. I have met people who are academically gifted, brilliant even, but totally devoid of interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence. As a result their life has become a hollow existence with no depth or meaning to it. That doesn't seem very clever to me - it's actually very sad.

16. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright, I voted "exceptionally." It was really difficult to push that button. So, yeah I would say that I am very intelligent--although it's interesting, outside of an anonymous online forum I can't imagine myself ever actually saying that. I guess I think that because people have always told me that--that was sort of my identity growing up. I was very academically successful. I have very good reading comprehension. I pick up new processes and information very quickly. I'm very good at logic puzzles. I test freakishly well. An example of the last: in my freshman year in college you could test out of foreign languages. My roommate was very wealthy and had always summered in Paris so he was going to take the French placement test. I took French for a couple years in junior high but wasn't going to take it because I didn't intend to take French in college--I was leaning towards Latin, Hindi, Hebrew and Sanskrit (none of which I had studied yet--so no placement test). Anyway, my roommate convinced me to take the French test with him, so I went to Widener Library, found a French grammar and looked at it for a couple hours the day before the test. I placed two full years ahead of my roommate in French. He spent the remainder of that year trying to talk to me in French and not believing me when I repeatedly told him I don't speak French.:lol:

The thing is, though, for me "intelligence" is really not that important. It's sort of a parlor trick. Don't get me wrong--it's a very useful parlor trick and has made my life a lot easier. But, well, I'm not a theoretical physicist, nor do I hang out with a lot of them. The fact of the matter is that in judging the desirability of other people "intelligence" is really low on my list. For instance my partner is not like I am. His IQ is probably substantially lower than mine. His degree is in performing arts and academics were always difficult for him. But dude is like "wise"--my IQ may be higher but his EQ is way higher. Seriously, it happens all the time. I'll be spinning some argument or idea around in my mind and finally sit down and tell him about what I'm thinking. I'll talk for five minutes or so and then he'll sit back, maybe close his eyes for a second and then say something. It will be a simple declarative statement and it will either completely encapsulate what I was trying to say or it will render it irrelevant. I should probably have him write my EC posts!:lol: The fact of the matter is that he is quite jealous of the way I think and I am at least as jealous of the way he thinks.

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Among my family and friends? Yes.

On forums like EC and in class? Slightly less so. :lol:

18. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I think I'm not, something/someone goes and convinces me that I am.

When I think I am, a counteraction occurs and I'm convinced I'm not.

I just put "average".

19. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There's no simple answer to that. Intelligent in what sense? Street smart? Business savvy? Educated? Could survive the zombie apocalpse? I'm intelligent in some ways, maybe even "above average", but in other things, not so much.

20. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I'm omniscient. :lol:

Happy days :slight_smile: