1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panti Bliss TED Talk

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lilrocket, Jan 10, 2015.

1. lilrocket

[YOUTUBE]hIhsv18lrqY[/YOUTUBE]

A good watch, on the whole. I like TED talks so was interested to see it. Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

2. 741852963

On the whole a good video, good delivery with some important points.

But I think the drag element kind of muddies the message a bit. For instance at one point he is saying people should look past stereotypes gleaned from TV...and then makes comments to get the audience to laugh by playing into, but ultimately validating or reinforcing stereotypes like "we can help her with her decorating".

He makes remarks about the use of "thats so gay" and then uses "more gay" to mean more effeminate or flamboyant - to me thats kind of a similar usage. Theres really no such thing as "more gay" or "less gay" unless you are talking about the Kinsey Scale!

I think he also kind of puts across the idea that gay=drag=gay. I see drag as a hobby (or even an artform) that yes many gay men like or perform (although straight men/lesbians and straight women get involved too). But I don't see it as having anything to do with being a gay man or sexuality - if anything its more of a gender thing - its a separate topic for me. Now I'd feel differently if his speech was about gaining tolerance in a general sense (for whatever reason, image, style of dressing, gender etc), then it would work - but when hes talking about specifically being gay it doesn't really "fit" in my mind.

NB: As a side note I literally had to go through that post changing she to he. Messing with my mind. :lol:

3. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I've kind of given up on TED talks, ever since they started with TEDx which is infested with pseudo-scientific woo, which has also started to infest the regular TED videos.

4. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

This ties in well with the posted video.

Even thought the UK has come a long way and we even have Eqaul-Marriage we still have a fair bit of work to do :frowning2:
    [YOUTUBE]SbHajI9r9S4[/YOUTUBE]