1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small examples of GLBT support

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Owen, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm in Independent Film Production in my High School, and one day, we got an idea. A girl and I took a camera and a director's slate, walked around the school, and when we came across someone, the girl would jump between the camera and the unfortunate victem, yell "Action!", and we'd see what would happen. It was fun, but as it progressed, we moved away from our original intent and turned it into a documentary on the teenage high schooler as a wild animal. About thirty minutes into filming, some guy said to us, "You guys are faggots," as he walked by. We thought nothing of it. In fact, afterwords, we repeated his insult to each other for shiggles. Anyways, we were filming some guy at his locker, and one of the guys filming with us repeated the insult in a low voice. We all chuckled, but the guy we were filming overheard us and said, "I don't like that word, you know." We explained it to him, so he was fine with it afterword. I assume he was straight, and the fact that he said that made my heart glow a bit.

How about you? What minor examples of support for the GLBT cause have you seen?

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    All ten of the people at my school who participated in the Day of Silence last year are inspiring to me. Even the simple act of not talking for a day is important to me, especially when people you would never expect participate in it.

3. Nodnarb

A few weeks ago one guy in my Physics class called somebody a 'fag', and his girlfriend said "You know, you really shouldn't use that word. It makes you look like a jerk." He got in an argument about it with her and two of her friends, and I think the girls won:slight_smile:. I've always loved 'Bree:slight_smile:

4. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ah, just remembered something. I posted this a few months back, but it's still relevant.

I was walking laps around the school track last year when I heard a group of girls talking behind me. One of them said, "I really don't like that word, 'dyke'. It's a nasty-sounding word." Another in the group replied, "I know. I can see why people would get offended by being called that."

It always surprises me to hear support for LGBT people in southern states, no matter who its coming from.

5. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Those are really heartening stories :grin:

6. Trumpetplyer23

Probably when I came out to my English class and a lot of the (straight) girls hugged me and told me they were proud of me and that I was a really brave person.

Or when my friend said "that's gay" and she goes "wait...I never say that. Why did I just say that? I'm not saying it again."

7. Mickey

I think I have said this before. Anyway,if anyone says anything negative about gay people,my MOM is all over their shit! It makes me feel so good when she tells me these things! I guess I raised her right! lol!

8. kh23172

I have a friend, and she is my best friend. There is one guy that we are both friends with, but not really, at the same time.. if that makes sense? Well, awhile ago, she overheard him calling me a fairy at one point, which was totally uncalled for and ridiculous. Me..a fairy.. Jordan please.

This best friend of mine has always thought of this when she thinks of Jordan, and always tells me how much of a jerk he really was just because of that. She's now in her first year in college, and had to write an essay regarding any topic of her choice that deals with discrimination. She decided to write an essay, now that she knows that I am gay, although not a fairy, about the situation. She is adding her views and details, and why she thinks it is wrong. I love her :slight_smile:

9. musican

Many people think that I'm gay and people used to ask me, but now they ask my best friend a lot. They also like to trash me in front of her and I think she feels worse about it than I do. For me its easier to know that people are trashing you than to have them trash you to your face. Im not sure what I would do if someone did start shit with me, but I know my best friend would defend me and it wouldnt be pretty.

10. Markio

One of my best friends tends to say "that was the gayest". He said it to me on the phone once, and I overheard his mom telling him it's not alright to use it. I ought to come out to him... He's actually really supportive of gay marriage, and was willing to discuss it with my roommate even though neither of them are gay or know that I'm gay.

Or when my sister is watching a show about transsexuals or very odd homosexual situations, I'll casually remark, "That's weird", and she'll get angry and urge me to try and imagine what it's like to be gay or to feel like I was born a boy in a girl's body. I don't mean any impertinence by saying something's weird, just that the situation is very particular. The point is, my sister takes matters like these seriously and I should be proud to have a sister like her. I ought to come out to her too, eventually...

11. thephailboat

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I actually came out to my brother and his reaction was,
    "You're not bi, it's a phase you're going through."

A few weeks later, he finally realized that it's not a phase, and that
    I was actually bi, surprising much? He doesn't care much, and tries
    not to use the word 'gay' with a malicious intent. He's fine with it.

One of the reasons why my brother is cool. :]]

12. Trumpetplyer23

This makes me want to hug my history teacher.

I was in History class and we were talking about how African-Americans were lynched. So, the teacher is talking and he says "I remember when I was a sophomore in high school, people who were gay were getting lynched a lot." After he said that, one of the guys in the class started laughing and my teacher looks at him and goes "You know it's not funny, so stop laughing right now."

13. Nodnarb

I know this is a long-dead thread, but I have a good example to add.

Today in 5th hour a few people were talking about their American Social Issues class(I'm not in it), and Taylor said some like "It's just so gay. I hate that class." And a second after he said that, he surprised me by saying (to one of the girls he was tallking with) "Fallon, I know you hate it when people use 'gay' like that. I'm sorry." It made me smile when he apologized. Hopefully he will catch himself next time.

Also, at lunch one of my friends described something (I think it was the food, which was more terrible than usual today) as gay. Right after the word gay come out of his mouth he paused, like he had tried to catch himself but was a second too late. There was an awkward silence, and everybody looked down and messed with stuff on their trays, but nobody called him out for it. I think everybody was expecting Cody (the openly gay guy at our table) to, but he apparently didn't want any confrontation. I would have, but right then my mom surprised me by appearing over my shoulder and asking why I wasn't eating. Not something that happens everyday...