1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When your sexuality is casually acknowledged

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheStormInside, Jan 11, 2015.

1. TheStormInside

A positive thread!

The other day, I was chatting with a friend, and we started joking about how we needed to find her a boyfriend. She eventually came back with "what about you? We need to find *you* a girlfriend!"

I've only been out a few months to friends, so this may be the first time someone has acknowledged my sexuality without my first saying something about it. I felt a little embarrassed but also so unbelievably happy to not only have it be open but just casually dropped in like it's the norm for me now. I just wanted to share that, and ask if others have had similar experiences, that you share, too :slight_smile: .

2. Alive

This happens to me all the time now with my close friends. It was a nice surprise the first few times it happened and now it's something that just naturally comes up when talking about or noticing cute people.

3. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yep..This happens with me on a posotive way too...Maybe because the people who aknowledge it are female...They ask me when I plan on getting a boyfriend, which (male)co-workers do I think are cute, and if it's painful being a bottom...

4. MrSkittles

Yeah. My friends always say "do you like him" or "Do you think hes cute" and "you should ask him out".

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2015 at 06:59 PM ----------

They act like its normal now. I like that they are used to it.

5. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

My sexuality is usually made fun of right in front of me by those who don't see me as the gender I am.

6. Ryujin

People say it....

Jokingly.

7. Zia Melora

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I joked with my mom about finding her a boyfriend, she responded that it was I who needed to find a man, woman, or who ever I liked. :slight_smile:

8. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have one about my gender. One of my friends today asked what pronouns I preferred, knowing that I'm genderfluid.

9. aeva

I've been out for a few years now, but I still get a little happy, warm feeling when it's casually mentioned.

10. Cam7125

Out Status:
    All but family
    It's not so much my sexuality as it is my gender, but similar feelings. I recently realized I identify as agender, and hearing people using "they/them" pronouns to describe makes me feel happy, especially because most of my friends identify as cis heterosexuals. It makes me happy that so many are that accepting.

11. Alive

I agree! Hearing my pronouns and preferred name feels so good! I am agender and use they/them pronouns as well. The support of my friends and some teachers is great.

12. AnnastasiaM

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, when mine is casually acknowledged by one of the few people who know About me I resist the urge to do the PeePee Dance in excitement. I still do it in my head.

13. C P

C P

I think I'll be pretty happy/amused when this day comes.

I'm content with how I currently am acknowledged, but I await the day to see my own reaction when someone speaks about me with the above. Though I think it goes mostly unnoticed, I can't help but wonder if it's crossed a mind or two why I tend to refer to myself in neutral terms(ex: I've said before that I'll end up being an old cat person). I only recall having one guy noticing and asking why I referred to myself that way, but at the time I said it was another story, heh.

P.S. I find it amusing to have seen both of you post here about this. We should be the three amigops. :la:

14. Cam7125

Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree! We should become the three amigos! ^^^ (I'm not sure how to directly reply like you both did...)

15. CyanChachki

About a year. My family was pretty okay with it but whenever I would try to talk about it, I was hushed and told not to say anything, especially in public. It hurt me because I thought that they where so worried about being judged by what I was saying instead of defending me if anyone did. Now I realize that it was probably just because they didn't want me to get hurt again.

16. black-cat

Awwww that is so sweet, it must be a lovely feeling! Good for you and your friends <3

It hasn't happened to me yet, as I am not out (though I think it is pretty obvious) but I have said it/heard it being done around me at school or at the gym. :slight_smile:

17. bearhug1994

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats. that would've been a welcoming relief for me. But I'm not brave enough to make it that far lol .

18. Mystic flower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Awe, what a great thing to experience. Only 3 people out of the dozen or so people that know about who I am are comfortable in talking about it, well 2 of the 3 I converse with more than the 3rd one. I had mentioned that there is someone I have noticed, and my confidante responded as naturally as it could be and that made my day.

19. Images and Words

if i get on my friend's nerves, he says "hey, i&w, whats to stop me from telling everyone you're sanpexual? huh?"
    I think another thing I got was
    "we need to find you a man-man"

20. Rainbows~Exist

It happened to me the other day in school. My friends were talking about how they thought this kid in my class might be gay (Not in a mean way. We were only speculating and he acts VERY camp...) and then one of them says "I think you shouldn't have to hide it. The amount of respect I have for you for coming out is unreal." I actually felt like crying :')