1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Immigrant Parents

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hiems, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Hiems

[YOUTUBE]Bz1bkHRwP6I[/YOUTUBE]
    This is a video about folks who came out to their immigrant parents. There were mixed reactions to coming out. Some parents were accepting, while others weren't.

This video hit home for me because I share the same concerns as these individuals when thinking about coming out to my parents, e.g. one's reputation in the family, how religion dictates one's perspective of homosexuality, etc.

2. AlamoCity

I guess this goes to show how everyone's mileage will vary. For some parents who are immigrants it will be more difficult if they come from a country where homosexuality has very negative connotations or it's not even spoken of.

My mom was born in Mexico, but she is not like many from there because she never grew up Catholic like many others. I would say she is "Protestant-lite." She took my coming out pretty well, although we really don't talk about it anymore (more so because I don't bring it up); but, I'm sure she'll take it well when it's time to bring home a guy. For all intents and purposes, I really didn't grow up as an immigrant and had a pretty "American" life (my biggest "Mexican" trait is how fluent I am in Spanish), so maybe that also helped. Even from my "American" side of the family, they are a bunch of irreligious folks who probably wouldn't care much about me being gay.

I actually think my state is more conservative than my family, immigrant or not.

3. Similarly to non-immigrant parents, the reactions will strongly vary. I don't think this video is going to reassure me about coming out to my parents.

My parents both came from Vietnam and obviously, they treat homosexuality as a taboo topic. The only people in my immediate family that is accepting is my sister. I feel like the only way I'm going to come out is through a phone call.