1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you install a tracking device in your child?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bookreader, Jan 12, 2015.

1. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Question says it all. Would you? I would because I would like to know where my child is.

2. Aro

Aro

No. I wouldn't. If I ever had a child, I think that would be a violation of trust. My family was build solidly on trust. I would want my child to trust me not to invade their privacy. I wouldn't have wanted that as a kid either. And I would trust them not to do anything that would put them in danger. Trust lasts a long time. It's easy to break and extremely hard to earn back. I would rather put their morals on them. If I am constantly watching them and ushering their actions, they will never learn and grow from their experiences.

I feel that any sort of tracking unless given prior good reason, is a violation of trust.

3. my parents certainly would haha, would be pretty handy cuz i wouldnt have to worry about telling them where i am or what im doing they could just look and be like 'oh shes at xyz place'. but i dont think its healthy at all. unless for a toddler who have tendecies to run off while youre unloading the shopping onto the trolley in a supermarket.

your child should be able to have freedom and you should be able to trust your child to go where they say they are going and get back at x time you set.

4. White Knight

Ah so you want your parents to put one into your body?

My own child, nope... never. I want to trust my kid and give him enough confidence/faith in myself that they won't keep anything from me. If you lack that faith this lead over restricting parent/lying children... that lying habit will effect their life very bad in the future.

I don't even want one of those things in my pets... they are unnatural.

5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I entirely agree. I wouldn't want one put in me, therefore I wouldn't put one in/on someone else. I even feel uncomfortable when my phone apps use my position for something.

The only thing I disagree with White Knight on is that I would happily put one in my pets. Pet theft is a really big issue here in the UK and I think that'd be a good deterrent. Plus sometimes if your cat goes out and never comes back, it'd be nice to know exactly what happened to it. Err... but this isn't what we were debating. :lol:

6. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe until they're 6 or 7 years old.

7. LiquidSwords

No what an appalling idea. I'd like to think I'd have enough trust in my child not to have to monitor them 24/7 jeez

You're 14 right, so you'd like to have your parents keep track of you like this?

8. MrSkittles

I wouldn't. I wouldn't want to be one of the those over protective parents. I would trust my child enough to let them do something without being monitored.

9. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Nope, no way no how.

Bad enough you can be tracked with your cell phone.

I'm all for panic buttons.

We have a service on my 15 year old sons cell phone. We can get a GPS location sent to us whenever we want. We've tried it out a couple times, but we've not needed to. For us, it's mostly to find his phone when he looses it (happened once already.) Now, if he ran away, or now that he's older, if he's staying out all night and not in contact with us, we'll have a talk the first time, and use GPS after that. We are ultimately responsible for his safety until he is an adult.

There are a lot of true predators out there. They will think nothing of lying to someone to get what they want, and discarding you in a heartbeat. I talked the other day to an 18yo kid who is dealing with being raped by a cousin at 10yo, and then being raped at a New Years Eve party just this past year. The kid hooked up off a social site. I got him the number for RAINN, and I'm hoping he's seeking the counseling he needs.

10. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Fuck no!

Besides, a bit of secrecy between kids and their parents is healthy.

11. I think they would be useful in terms of kidnapping and abduction, but it is also overstepping a boundary. Maybe use them but only police can access them?

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, would never consider such a thing.

13. Notlad

I feel like there are lessons learned about trust when teena ger caught where they aren't supposed to be.

I know I did.

So I probably wouldn't do that.

14. antibinary

No. I'd hate for it to happen to me. I get confused enough as it by people who have to ring their kids every day when they go away with the school.

15. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

And who protects you when the police are the ones abusing it...

Nothing in your body permanently tracking you EVER

Don't worry, they'll only do it for your own good. You need to be in that hospital/ghetto/camp for your own good. We'll fix you right up. Look at the history of government/state/tribe run collect, re-educate, exterminate the "OTHER" campaigns.

16. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I can say is....
    [​IMG]

So, that'd be a no.

17. Lyana

No.

When your children are still little kids, it's your responsibility to keep an eye on them. I don't believe a tracking device is justified. Then, when they start getting into their teens, trust is way more efficient and way healthier than any tracking device.

When I was still living with my parents, I always told them when and where I was going out, and with whom, even though (and maybe because) they often didn't ask. They trusted me to be safe, and I trusted them right back. If I had found out they were tracking me, I would have felt betrayed (even though I had nothing to hide!). I would have thought they didn't trust me, and I'm sure that would have damaged our relationship. So I wouldn't do that to my kid.

Besides, nowadays, most teens have cell phones (I'm talking about texting them here, not tracking them using their phone, which I wouldn't appreciate either).

18. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  19. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tracking chips are useless. For one, they're a complete violation of privacy and trust. They should be able to trust me as a parent, and I should be able to trust them as my child. If they've lied, they'll get punished. Lesson learned, without a tracking chip necessary.

Secondly, there'd be no way of putting one on your child inconspicuously. They find it, and they won't know what it is. Children's curiosity + things they don't know = disaster. Chew it, place it somewhere else/rubbish bin, play with it with other kids, manipulate it, whatever. It has ways of going wrong.
    And if you seriously consider your child swallowing it or injecting it into them, going so far as to risk their health just for your own reassurance, you're just a selfish parent, enough said.

#19 heyguyswhatsup, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  20. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the child is young, I will have them where a tracking pendant of sorts, cause you cause you never know.