1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever been bullied because of who you are?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Intrinsicallyme, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Intrinsicallyme

My view is that everyone is bullied in high school. Personally, I was picked on for being strange. My teeth are crooked, and I liked playing sports and games competitively, so I was alternately called Bugs Bunny and a dyke. It didn't stop after high school, though, and that's the part I'm most interested in. I've been bullied at work for being poor. Which raises the question, why did you think I was working? :lol:

Anyway, enough about me, I want to hear your stories. How do you get along with your peers? Did your experiences cause you to reject yourself? Did you emerge a stronger person because of your struggle? Is bullying still affecting you now?

2. Candace

Yes, I was bullied quite extensively in elementary all the way until high school because I was "different". I realize now that there were quite a number of them who were girls. They can be so mean sometimes :frowning2:

3. Images and Words

Yes. From when I was 10 to when I was 13 (couple of years ago) it's stopped now, but I'm scared to come out incase it starts up again :frowning2:

4. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always been different from other people and being a tomboy didn't help with that either. I've always been a dork too. I was constantly teased in elementary school and one guy made it his sole mission to make sure the entire grade didn't talk to me. It was the most miserable time of my life. I was also really, really shy in elementary school so they felt they could take advantage of me. When I got to high school however, I came out of my shell a lot and they knew they couldn't make fun of me to my face. Didn't stop them from talking behind my back and spreading rumours, but I would confront people if they said shit to my face. Now, I don't get it from peers as I'm in a massive university, so it's kinda hard, but I get bullied by my stepmom, especially more so now after coming out to her :/

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    During grade school every single day kids would either call me gay or a girl. One kid called me a lesbian :confused: and I had only 1 "friend". In third grade my mom almost had to go to court for me bc I missed so many days bc I hated going with the teacher and the kids it was just a big ol hillbilly school and if u weren't white and straight than things weren't looking good for u.

#5 Andrew99, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  6. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was bullied for being overweight, poor, lonely, you name it. Most of the bullying was in elementary and middle school. I was shoved, hit, tripped, had my elbow broken because I got off the school bus before someone who was behind me, death threats, which started in the 4th grade.

There is a part of me who hates myself. I am stronger, because I can handle that, but I still get nervous.

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really, no. People are less likely to bully a person who wouldn't hesitate to throw a chair in their face.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was bullied by a stepfather, who called me "faggot" long before I knew what it meant.

9. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Never went to high school (was homeschooled, thank goodness)

But yes, I have been bullied. I'm different than anyone here. I dress different, I have long hair (which is apperantly a taboo for guys to have long hair in America...), I'm just freaky and weird to the people here.

And you know what? Fuck it. I don't let it get to me.

10. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Amen brother!

11. Intrinsicallyme

:smilewave
    Just gotta say, long hair on a dude is fantastic. I'm seeing more and more of it around where I live. I'm glad you don't let it get to you. Fuck those people. :icon_bigg

12. tscott

Sure was in middle school. I was a expected to be a gentleman at all times. I'm an only and was very much part of my parents' life. I was in some ways more mature and in other ways less mature. I rode horses and evented, something usually associated with girls; though there were other boy, we were the minority. Some of the bullying was jealousy, but a lot of it was due to being different. If got into a fight, my parents were not pleased, because in their mind there was always some more acceptable way out of the situation. The sting of being different would always to some extent be there in my life, particularly when I suspected I was gay, which to me meant being a sissy, a boy who wanted to be a girl, queer.

Even now my taste in men leans toward the more outwardly masculine, a bit of lingering homophobia on my part. I look and act more masculine. So bullying has shaped my life. After all I'm middle-aged and have been out for only a year.

13. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fortunately, I was never bullied at school. I guess I was always in that middle ground where I wasn't popular, but I was never picked on either. I can't imagine what it's like to be bullied at a young age (not that any age is right), it must be awful.

14. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Bullied a little when I was around 11 or 12. A couple of the more physically mature guys would call me names when I was walking home from school. Milquetoast was a favorite word they used for me.

Tall, thin, shy, wallflower, spent free time at school drawing. I was unique, but didn't do anything to stand out. Blending in was my defense against being picked on. Not sure why they really picked on me, but I never let their words bug me all that much. We moved two towns over and in the new school, Jr high, I don't believe anyone bullied me. Nor in high school.

I always tried to remember, Sticks and stones... Yeah, words can sting, but ultimately it's you who is in control of how it effects you.

#14 kindy14, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  15. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    right through school i was called names, hit, mean pranks, etc. it didnt help that it happened at home too, to various degrees, the only refuge i had was my Grand mothers house, after she died i was on my own except when i ran to the deep woods for hours at a time. so over the years i was bullied terriably and wasn't allowed to fight back, when my son got bullied, i taught him to fight back and win.

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Last semester i was harrased by kids and teachers. People put hand sanitizer on my clothes and one kid through a tennis ball at my head. Im online now and it's so much better! No more lectures no more jerks no more bull shit!

17. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    just to add, i wasn't bullied for being LGBT i was bullied for breathing.

18. Tohru-Chan

Yes. It started in grade five and that's when most of it took place. Other girls hit me, calling me lesbo and dyke. They would kick me in the back of the knees when I was walking so I would fall down. First it was cause I only had guy friends, so I stopped hanging out with boys. Then it was cause I only had one friend and she was a girl. And we were quite close cause we both got bullied. Even by our teacher.

The name calling didn't stop until grade 12. I worked at a grocery store in a small town and the evening shift was only teenagers and there was this 15 year old boy who would yell 'lesbo' whenever I walked by. The assistant manager found out and explained to him that that's not acceptable in the work place and he could get fired for sexual harassment, so he stopped.

I came out of the closet pretty much the minute I got out of that small town, and now I go back there to visit my dad and I realize it's not so bad there. I haven't been called a name since I was 17 and I actually enjoy visiting there now.

19. Aro

Aro

This is a difficult topic for me. Skip mine if you don't want bad details... But it is sometimes good for me to be able to talk about this. I was bullied to the extreme for about 8 years on a daily basis. It was previously too hard for me to talk about, but I've found that letting it out does help. I won't go into much detail. I didn't have friends in elementary. The ones that did double-crossed me periodically or moved away and I never saw them again.

The rest were cruel. I couldn't go outside without rocks being thrown or pushed to the ground or hair pulled. I used to go as far out into the field as possible so they couldn't find me. Inside the class, they would snatch my hands and run straightened paperclip tips under my finger nails and stab me to bleeding with sharpened pencils. The words were just as bad as the physical abuse. I was suicidal by age 8. It was too much for my young self to handle. I begged the ring leader of all of this to make it stop. Either that or I was going to end it. And he promised that he'd help everyone let up if I did whatever he said 100% of the time. I had nothing left and I agreed in the hopes that things would improve. They didn't.

From then on, it got worse because they made me do things to myself. I still have scars. I was molested from then on, and made to strip in front of these couple of guys in the empty ice rink in the Summer. To humiliate me, they told me to stand there in the middle, completely naked, for at least 10 minutes. They went off and played in the playground. I remember an adult walking by at that point with me just standing there. He looked at me and I looked at him. He didn't do anything. He kept walking. To this day I wonder why he didn't help me, but I suppose that doesn't matter.

Eventually I got away from them when I moved on to middle school. But the damage was done. I have never been the same from everything that happened. I don't know if I'll ever be okay. Bullying is a serious matter. I have never bullied a soul in my life. I wish people would take it more seriously. Because it can get out of hand very fast with mob mentality. I know that too well.

20. ZenMusic

I was bullied a lot for my skin colour, by both girls and boys, for about 80% of the time I was at Primary School. People would move away from me or tell me to go away in a voice that made it seem like I was bothering them, they wouldn't make friends with me because they were afraid if I touched them they'd get a disease, they weren't audacious enough to use the word nigger at the time so they said things like baked potato, burnt cookie, brown boy, chocolate man, stuff like that. The worst instance was when an entire row in assembly moved away from me because they didn't want the "black." I don't tend to have a lot of patience for bullies now. People also seemed disgusted that I have a white mother and she produced something so "dirty."