1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soft skills

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Jan 14, 2015.

1. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An interesting article from BBC News:
    BBC News - Campaign puts £88bn economic value on 'soft skills'

How much emphasis do you place on learning/understanding and improving your 'soft skills' -- things like communication, team working, resourcefulness and initiative and interpersonal and customer relationships? It seems many businesses and employers are looking at soft skills much more closely now and I wonder how much value EC members place on these things. Do you think you need to work on your soft skills to give you an edge when seeking employment?

Bigger question: Is it the role of teachers or schools to support the development of soft skills? Discuss.

2. White Knight

When seeking employment or hiring I doubt people in this country would take soft skills into consideration at least.

In general I can work on my some soft skills... tho it is mostly my short fuse and distant stand from strangers which usually percieved as hostile. Luckily I realize it most of the time and put a joke here and smile there... if I like the person I am dealing with. If they are rude.. they are on to a rude awakening. :grin:

For education side of things, what I remember from my school days those skills encouraged to develop and teachers usually give assignments or projects to students. I see those skills more like modern day survival skills so like everything about child education it should start at home and handled professionally by schools/teachers.

3. Yosia

I think schools, especially primary schools should focus more on soft skills such as communication than actual academics.

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Depending on which branch you are, soft skills are very important.

People being supportive and team players are more and more important.

When it comes to schooling, there is a lot that should be changed, imo.
    How to build loving relationships... how to communicate with others... how to express emotions... all courses now even in community colleges, or in self help groups.
    There are tutorials but practising in a group should make it easier.
    In my opinion those are basic values and should be taught by a society. Its something that improves all of society.

5. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Previous year, a group I'm a member of offered a workshop in soft skills, and I wanted to go so much. Unfortunately, I couldn't, as I had to learn for exams.

I find soft skills very important, I really value communication. I think schools should focus a lot more on soft skills. =]

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I believe soft skills are important, but they're also problematic. This seems to be true around here, because anybody who is "team friendly" is viewed as a threat by managers, as they will most likely take away their authority. I used to butt heads with a few retail managers because of this, even though that wasn't always my intention. People just liked how bold and result oriented I was. I could also get things done, which really impressed regional managers, but always flustered the store managers who weren't being given the credit for the results.

Also, there's this fear if people could actually communicate with one another, understand each other, that the world wouldn't be exactly as it is now. People would realize things could should be better, and those in influential positions would be threatened. There's a sickening reliance on people being, well, dumb and disorganized when it comes to communication skills and emotional understanding, because it allows them to be best kept in line.

I know, I know. That's somewhat cynical, almost borderline conspiracy theory levels, but it is something I've noticed. It's also why, sadly, many folks don't work too hard, because they'll be let go. No manager likes to be outdone, even if it isn't intentional. Of course, there are some exceptional managers out there, but it's hard to tell who is genuine and who is all business.

Social skills are essential, as well as beneficial. It'd help in remedying a lot of problems, I believe.

As for how I am when it comes to 'soft skills', well, I'd dare say I'm quite exceptional -- when I want to be.

7. tscott

"Soft Skills" although extremely important, they should not be taught as a separate subject in schools. I can be integrated into lessons, but should not be the focus of the lesson, except perhaps as a unit in a communications course. It is not worth sacrificing academic time for what an instructor may or may not have the ability to teach.

This is not that "soft skills" aren't important, but I question the ability to be taught. Early ages, infants and toddlers, have already had these skills ingrained into their personalities by they're environment. Parents, safety, economics, and health are the major factors in determining how well an individual can work within socially.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you think about it, so-called soft-skills are not a requirement for mechanics, plumbers, electricians and the like, because their skills are put to the test every day, either the engine starts, the toilet flushes, and the lights go on...or they don't. No scope for bullshit.

We are now moving to a symbolic economy, where contracts, agreements, patents, creative works and the like are the new wealth. In this information economy, soft skills are paramount...you're only as good as your last movie, book, contract, consult, etc. This kind of wealth is evanescent, volatile, unstable. Enter soft skills, and yes, manipulation judicious handling of facts and figures becomes paramount.

For example, the ability to master the soft skills of negotiation means, to quote the title of a well-known book on Negotiation (Karrass) You Don't Get what you Deserve, You Get What you Negotiate...

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh, I'm a good listener, but let's just say that I have to stay on script at all times...

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Those guys have held their seminars and whatever they sell for a while - they are, as you probably know, also found in in-flight magazines. It sounds like you've got a good gig. And, from their mere title, they are correct.

There is another thing called "position power." This is simply power, though not necessarily credibility, that vests in someone that sits in a particular position - either through climbing the ladder, being part of the "good ole boy" system, etc. If a person chafes with this person, there could be big problems. And it doesn't have to be "active" chafing. It could be "passive" chafing - they don't like that you are more capable and intelligent than they are.

Ok, so I'm going to beat a dead horse - I think my soft skills are decent. I have been able to talk to co-workers, consultants, and others with relatively ease, neither being too formal nor too casual, as it relates to the work. My deficit has been that I won't talk sports, talk drink, and talk hot chicks. While you may come in seeming "cool enough," not doing this throws you into the "not cool enough" bucket. In some settings, that could be a problem. There could be similar situations for women - where they are perfectly able to do the job and even pleasant, but something may keep them from gelling with their reference group.

So, "soft skills" are all relative. My therapist also discussed "luck of the draw." In his experiences doing therapy, he has mentioned that a person may have fared well at one high school and not so at another, or that a person may have fared well at one employer and not so at another.

There's a part of me that would find the Karrass seminar(s) interesting, yet I'm not of enough consequence to go pay for it. It was a father-son team, and now it appears to be just the son who is in the driver's seat.

11. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kaiser, I honestly don't think they are viewed as a threat by managers. At least from what I've heard from people (in economic branches), managers are happy with those who are "team friendly" as they tend to smoothen the communication, and make it possible to increase the productivity. A manager is rewarded for that, getting "team friendly" people in a working group is more likely desirable.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Let me elaborate on this, so you get a better understanding of what I meant.

You're right in the sense that "team friendly" people are useful to managers, and for the reasons you mentioned. But only if the manager still receives the credit, which is the problem I noticed, and had, with many managers. You couldn't take credit for anything without them, but they could take credit without you.

Of course, this is my experiences. I cannot speak for the entire world. However, I do think it is important to be mindful of. I used to get a few "You need to mention me more" talks, whenever a regional or district manager stopped by, even if the store manager didn't do a single thing. This irked me, naturally.

That said, not every manager I've had is like that. I've had some pretty good ones.

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe soft skills are the reason I am pretty likeable, no one feels too threatened I am clever/smart/etc., and things just run smoother. Having worked with scientists, I can definitely tell you there are some horribly maladjusted people out there who barely succeed through the sheer force of their "hard skills", not their emotional intelligence. I know when I was an undergrad research assistant, a new grad student said I must have a black book since I can deal with difficult personalities.

I do think we should teach all children about ethics and "playing nice" since some of their parents seem like egomaniacs trying to force their kids to succeed, only to alienate them. Also, a lot of people get upset about social media and seeing things that offend their sensibilities. Well, I guess they've never been to a small town or in a close-knit community where everyone knows about your personal business and some may just give their opinion whether you like it or not!

Also, everyone should learn rhetoric. I learned that in a high school english class, and really helped me understand how to debate without getting overemotional or jaded. The best rhetoricians make people believe they came to a conclusion all on their own. That is very useful in any business environment (as long as the intentions are good).

14. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the call center industry in which I was previously employed, soft skills were life. This means correct grammar, proper tone, professionalism, empathy, and the ability to answer questions before they are asked(i.e. anticipating needs). If you are in a white collar job and even some blue collar ones, soft skills make or break you during an interview. Who wants to hire a tree stump?

---------- Post added 16th Jan 2015 at 10:43 PM ----------

Even in a blue collar job, you must make a brief report of what was done on the job or advise your supervisor of the outcome. Electricians have to make detailed reports to warrant their time on a particular job. I worked as a call center rep. in the utility industry. If the tech. did not leave proper notes, I could not clearly communicate to the customer what was done if they were not present(which was often for outside work).