1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to my parents?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kindred Spirit, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Kindred Spirit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, I recently came out to my friends today and thankfully they all took it well and I have their support. I'm 17 and i'm soon to be turning 18 so I know what I want in life and I want to be happy. I'll be going to university after summer this year.

I'm just worried about how to tell my parents. They have never done anything to suggest that they are homophobic and we aren't very religious. My sister would sometimes call me gay in an argument and then my parents wouldn't say anything and would just look at each other. I'm a little bit camp but i'm not so OTT, although before I came out people asked if I was gay in the past.

Anyway, my point is that if my parents are meant to know me better than anyone else, do you think they maybe think I might be gay? I feel as though I need to come out to both of them at the same time so one doesn't feel left out. The only thing that is really keeping my confidence going is that my cousin, (my dad's brother's son) is gay, so my dad really couldn't react badly unless he would want my uncle questioning him about his anger.

So should I ask them both together? How should I do it?

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad to hear that your friends took the news well! :slight_smile:

It sounds like your family is going to be pretty accepting. If you haven't heard your dad say anything about your cousin, I would assume he'd be okay with it.

You ask if we "think they maybe think I might be gay?"
    Parents usually do have hunches about their kid's sexuality before they're told. I assume that if others have asked you if you're gay, your parents may have picked something up, and may just be waiting for you to tell them.

I think you should tell them both together. As far as when goes - just tell them when you all have some time to sit down for a little while. Not before someone has to go anywhere, or after a significant event. Just on a regular night if they're sitting around not doing anything.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you let us know how it goes. (*hug*)

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well ok so u want to tell them them together I get that. Are u ok with telling them face to face? Because then u should do it when you're alone with them. If you're not okay with that write them a letter or u could both text them.

Good luck :thumbsup: (*hug*)