1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Me?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rocking23, Oct 26, 2008.

?

Why Me?

1. I've had this question strike me

46 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. Never had the question, until now.

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. rocking23

This is an open question and answer to everyone out there.
    I am gay and I have accepted it from the get go. A good percentage of gays accept it.

Here comes the question for you guys.

It comes across my mind some times "Why Me? Why am I gay? Why not Bob in my Math Class?"

I'm sure everyone has thought about it at least once or twice.

What are your guy's thoughts or opinions on the question of why you are gay and not the next person?

I know it's a pretty open ended question but let's discuss!

2. kh23172

I believe that if you are gay, you are truly a genuine person. You are capable of enduring so much more than any heterosexual would ever be able to. I'll leave that open to interpretation, but that is my sincere belief.

3. Miles D

I like to think that it's because God (and I use this word openly, open to interpretation) knew I could handle it. I mean, there are so many messed up people, and if they were gay they'd be so much more screwed up. so... yeah :slight_smile:

4. kh23172

Exactly. :slight_smile:

5. Miles D

:icon_mrgr

6. jazzrawr

I've wondered it before, but not in an angry way.
    But I don't have an answer. It could be for any reason.
    Or maybe it's not for a reason at all. I don't know.

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeahh why me?...... I always thought my sexuality was normal before knowing about being gay or hetro, Im still in the middle of it though, wanting to be straight at times. Or is that Bi?

8. rocking23

I like that explanation A LOT!

9. kh23172

This is exactly the point of gay forums, chat rooms, and places for gays to talk. We find things to agree upon. Great thread, really.

:slight_smile:

10. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, I can honestly say I've never asked that question. There was a point in my life where I was still extremely religious and wanted to try and change, but "why me?" implies that I was chosen for something, or stricken with a disease. I don't like those explanations.

11. Markio

"When you're on the Titanic, you lower the lifeboats, you don't stop to yell at the iceberg." -Everybody Loves Raymond. What I mean is, I didn't have time to wonder why, so long as no one found out. When I really accepted that I was gay and had no other choice, I was so afraid I was going to go to hell and there was nothing I could do about it. Going to hell is still my biggest fear today. Gay or not, even.

I never really thought of being gay as an opportunity or destiny. I know I like helping younger people face hardships like being new in high school and having upperclassmen make fun of you. Perhaps homosexuality is another way in which I would (eventually) help people. I'm certainly not prepared yet, what with my awkward acceptance of myself only recently.

12. Derek the Wolf

Why me? I don't honestly know. I can't imagine only being attracted to one gender, but maybe it's karma. I never really cared about people's causes or movements. Not until I had a cause, a goal in life. Now I can understand, now I have purpose. I don't believe in a god, but I do strive for purpose. Perhaps subconsciously my sexuality evolved to create purpose. Whatever the answer to your question, the fact remains: I like boys AND girls. And I'm quite happy that way.

13. kh23172

Yes, I believe that all gay people have a purpose. That is to make the world a better place. Eventually, people will understand us, our difficulties, our judgements, and our flaws. Sooner or later people will realize that we're not only people as well, but we're more dynamic and genuine (in my opinion). Eventually, people will respect us for who we are. That is our purpose.

14. Derek the Wolf

Well I wouldn't say as a whole the LGBT community has a purpose. Our sexuality is what it is. Saying we're more dynamic and genuine implies we're better. That's not true. We're all people and we all deserve the same rights. That's what we're about. When I say I strive purpose, what I mean is I don't want my life to meaningless. I want to love, be loved, inspire love, promote love, and propagate love. I want to enjoy my life and make others' lives enjoyable. My purpose is to make this world a better place, and I think that should be everyone's goal in life, of course in their own way.

15. mattypants

when i was more religious, i crossed the why me bridge.
    i agree, none of the explinations work for me. im happy just being, so now it doesnt bother me.

16. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yes i've asked that plenty of times when i was in denile. i'm not actually religious (i'm agnostic) but i asked that question because i was afraid of being different. i was afraid of being hated, picked-on, shunned because i wasnt like everyone else. u grow-up around everything being about strait people who grow-up, get married, have kids, and be essentially happy. thats how things were shown to work. any different and you're screwed. so yes i often asked "What did i do to deserve this?" i wanted to be strait. i wanted to be normal.

but i've eventually accepted it . i am what i am. and now that i accept it i can be happy.

:slight_smile:

17. Myke

Myke Guest

I've asked myself that a couple of times before.
    To tell you the truth, I can't see myself being not gay.
    As for why? I don't know haha Why is the Earth round?

18. musican

I used to be so frustrated and I wondered why I was the one who had to be gay; I already had enough things that made society view me as a freak or a failure. Then I realized that nearly everyting that people picked on is because I'm gay, being gay isnt just another thing for them to pick on, it's the reason I get picked on.

Now I get frustrated because I feel like I wasted my life up until now because I tried to change who I am and not just accept who I am. The other thing that frustrates and agravates me is that other people are going through what I went through; it's not fair to them, it wasn't fair to me. I feel bad knowing that there are people around me who feel like they are disgusting because they like the same gender. I feel bad knowing that people will harass and abuse people for accepting and admitting who they are; sometimes the abuse will be verbal or emotional and sometimes it will be physical.

Where I live, you dont need to be sent to a 'conference' or 'camp' to 'fix you', people do that enough on their own. Their homophobic ideas are voiced every day and after hearing them repeatedly they became part of my belief. I really believe that if I didnt live in such a horribly narrow-minded and homophobic town, I would have accepted myself when I was 10 or 12, instead of now at 16. I also think that if I didnt live here, I would have never had to experience depression and the strong suicidal urges that came along with it.

Until I was 14, the only thing I knew about being gay was that it was thought of as a bad thing, it is used as an insult, and being gay meant that nobody would like you. When I found out what being gay really meant, I had a really tough time trying to ignore the way that people had defined being gay before. I knew I am gay, but I still thought of being gay as a bad thing. I wished that someone else was gay instead of me because I could accept them and help them though the hurt and the pain but I wasnt so sure that I would have anyone to help me. I felt more lonely and more like I didnt belong after I realized I was gay and I wished that someone could take the pain away. I thought thatI could just pretened I wasnt gay and everything would be fine, but it just got worse. The mindset of the people in my school was that being gay was a bad and creepy thing and sadly it infected my own mind, making me feel inferior and undeserving of happiness.

It has taken a long time to get their thoughts out of my head so I could think for myself, but I did it. I know now that I am my own person and they dont need to know that unless I want them to, and that the only thing that matters is that I know.

19. I've never asked myself "Why me?" Although I still haven't really accepted it, it seems like, I don't know, it would be selfish to ask that. Like by asking it I'm wishing it upon someone else. Ouch, that sounds bad. Like it's a curse or something. I really don't mean it that way.
    I guess I just always accepted that what happens to me and what will happen to me can't be changed, so there's no reason to get caught up on it.

20. sblvd06

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I had this question strike me when I first realized I was gay (which was in elementary school) but I got over it in about 5 minutes.