1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone else jealous of straight couples?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iam324b21, Jan 17, 2015.

1. iam324b21

iam324b21 Guest

Someone that I know (and is my age) recently had a baby. Everyone is happy for her, but I'm not. We aren't friends and I don't think teenage parenthood should be celebrated, but I find myself feeling jealous of her. I've always wanted a family for as long as I can remember and realising that I was gay screwed all my plans of a normal family and having children that are genetically, mine and my partner's.
    It's really annoyed me that I'll have to plan to have children, whereas straight couples can just make one.
    I'm also struggling with the fact that although they may have two mums who will love them, they won't have a dad (something I battled with as a kid).
    Am I the only one that feels this way?
    I feel terrible for feeling the way that I do. Any ideas on how to alleviate this?

2. Nickinthemiddle

You could end up with someone who had a failed straight marriage who was never actually straight anyways who has kids :wink:

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

They are looking into ways to make it so two biological mothers can have a children, though I don't know how successful this will be.

4. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm bisexual and because of that fact, I told myself I will find a beautiful lady to have kids with. I too, feel the desire to have a family because my own is dysfunctional. A possessive and emotionally manipulative mother and a father who's too cheap emotionally and financially to the point that he became distant, I am struggling with intimacy and feel a family will fill my need for a connection.
    But, I don't want to limit myself to missing out on a great guy, one I can spend my life with because of my selfish insecurity. I also fear that if that does happen, I won't have a genetic and thus strong bond to a kid we might adopt. Another kid might feel like a stranger and might not even like me at all if I don't commit to them.
    Your situation parallels mine, but I think that we should stop making assumptions about the future because it is so uncertain. We will never know what to expect, but if we stop feeling like we hate it, it may not be so bad.
    There are scientific breakthroughs where a woman's own skin cells may be used to fertilize her egg. This is very new, but as you are young, you may be just be lucky to be able to have that. As for me, this is an area of science that fascinates me: genetics

#4 xylaz, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  5. iam324b21

iam324b21 Guest

Those are really good points, but in my head I had such a heteronormative view of life. I thought I'd just get a boyfriend and after a while he'd propose to me, I'd say yes, I'd pick out a dress, we'd get married and fulfil the traditional gender roles, have a huge family and live happily ever after.

Now I probably won't have any of that, especially if I come out and my family don't accept me.

Sometimes I envy straight people. They are able to lead such easy lives, where sexuality is concerned.

#5 iam324b21, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  6. LiquidSwords

I'm jealous of all couples?

7. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kinda. More jealous of the hetero couples in anime. Like they have the relationship I have always wanted. The drama, the cuteness, the madness, the chibi faces, the special powers, the totally unrealistic situations. I want that!!!

8. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, not at all.
    I don't think we need more than 7 billion people on the planet. It's too much, mostly since humans are wrecking the environment and the more of us, the worse it gets.
    Instead, I would adopt a child. That child would already exist independently of what I do, and it helps with the fact that there are so many unwanted children in the world.
    I'm also not jealous of straight couples because I think gay couples are cuter, especially male ones. Gay couples face so much hate yet they love their partners enough to not let the hate bother them, and that's cute.

9. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Yes, and im straight

10. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm jealous of guys sometimes. Finding girlfriends is easier for them. *sighs*

I'm not jealous of straight couples because they can babies together that way though. Pregnancy scares me, and I want to adopt instead.

11. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    What if... you and your partner have children via in vitro... Two sperms of the same donator.

So your children would be brothers

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This guy has the right idea.

While I wouldn't say I'm jealous of every single couple, there is a little resentment -- not towards heterosexual pairings, but any pairing really. It's hard not to feel like something is wrong, when you've been single your entire life; and the older you get, and longer you remain single, the more difficult it becomes to justify why that is.

13. ANewDawn

Science changes the world every day - who knows what will be possible when you get to that point. And one could argue that children raised by same sex parents grow up to be more compassionate and accepting of diversity, so they won't be losing out.