1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Referring to everybody with gender neutral terms

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HM03, Jan 18, 2015.

1. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So it's probably from being in the closet, but I basically refer to everybody by gender neutral words. My prof, they said this. my friend they are blah blah.

Anybody else do this?

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only if I want to avoid identifying someone or if they wish to be referred to by gender-neutral pronouns.

I don't really see much point in avoiding someone's preferred if you have them specifically in mind.

I do use the singular "they" quite a lot; it seems rather silly to use the masculine for an unspecified gender, no matter what the extreme grammatical purists (who have basically made up their own rules) say.

3. Gregarity

Yeah l also just use "they" if l can't immediately determine a pronoun to use, or if referring to a hypothetical person. More concise than "he or she", also isn't so limited to the binary.

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only use 'they' if I don't know someone's gender, don't want to specify, or they prefer gender neutral terms.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. It annoys me when people say 'he' when not specifiying a gender.

5. Hizaki

It doesn't bother me when people use a generic "he" (but what do I know, I'm a guy). Of course, that'd just be mostly for signs and such, because I would address a mixed-gender group of people as they

I wouldn't offended, but it would be weird if someone right in front of me said (for example) "but they don't know!" about me specifically, especially because of the plural meaning of "they".

6. Whisper

Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ This.

I will always respect peoples' wishes about what pronouns they would like to be called by, but using "they" constantly in conversation when talking about every single person is tiring and frustrating. If someone I initially thought was a female tells me to call them "he" or "they" then I will, but in the beginning I just go but what I see.

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually most writing nowadays tries to be politically correct and uses "she" for an unspecified gender. Even my physics textbook does this... It's pretty absurd to me that they replace "he" with "she" as if it makes it any less sexist or whatever their intent is. Every time some piece of writing refers to a random person, they refer to them with the pronoun "she." My friend (who is getting his phD in -some English related field-) also advised me that "she" is now the correct pronoun to use when the gender is ambiguous. I like "they" but it seems too plural. Sometimes I'll use "one" if it's appropriate... Otherwise feel bad favoring any specific gender.

But to get to the topic, no I dont do that. I refer to people with pronouns of their assumed gender. If they have a problem with it I will try to respect what they want to be called. I don't see the point.

8. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I try to use a person's preferred pronouns unless a gender is not specified. But when I refer to a future partner, I always use gender neutral pronouns.

9. PurpleGrey

I think there needs to be an option that's less weird than the singular "they", which can be confusing because it's mainly a plural word, or "he", which can be confusing because it's male.

10. Rosie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only use 'they' when I don't know someone's gender or when the gender of a person is not important ("I went to the doctor today and they said...") I never use he or she and it bothers me when they consistently use either he or she in books.

#10 Rosie, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  11. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When I'm being conscious of it, and not talking about someone whose specific pronouns I know, I use 'they'. I'm much more aware of it when people are talking about me, which I should probably work on. :/

12. howsit

howsit Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No thanks. There's already a term for that--"it" (or one), and I don't humans should be referred to that way.

13. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I refer to everyone as person or people

14. feveray

feveray Guest

I love the fact that here in Finland we don't have the whole he/she thing because everyone is referred to as hän, which is gender neutral. So honestly this whole he/she/his/hers thing confuses me and I'm always scared that I'll offend someone when I'm speaking in english and if I use the wrong term or something, which is why I always try to use gender neutral terms but idk it's hard and confusing

15. PressPlay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tbh I find not using he/she very confusing.

16. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use the gender terms unless I don't know the gender.

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In Japanese we technically have gender-specific pronouns, but they're rarely used unless a person's gender is very important in the situation. Sometimes I wish English were like that; having and using gendered pronouns can be kinda confusing from time to time...

18. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

^Was gonna mention that.
    But of course in Japanese, there is the problem of the word you use to refer to yourself. "Watashi" is gender-neutral, but these days more often associated with women, so more likely to get you misgendered. "Ore" and "boku" are male; "atashi" is female.

I use "ore" normally, and "watashi" when crossdressing/in onnagata

#18 NingyoBroken, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
  19. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, yeah; there's that too.

I usually use watashi.

20. 741852963

Nope, I use he/she and will alter if corrected. If I was really unsure and they had a gender non-specific name I would wait till I heard how acquaintances were addressing them and monitoring for a good reaction.

The fact is the vast majority of people aren't trans or genderqueer so in say 95% of cases you are just going to be unnecessarily confusing or even upsetting people* by saying gender neutral terms. Whilst well intentioned its a bit like denying their gender.

To be honest I'd be pretty irked if someone avoided using terms relating to my gender. I'm a man, use he and him please.

*You need to be careful here. Most men do not like having their masculinity brought into question, and likewise most women their femininity. By using gender-neutral terms there is a chance people will think you are questioning them, like unintentionally you may have people thinking you are implying "but are you really a woman?". It can be an accidental insult.