1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's on a diet?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mangotree, Jan 18, 2015.

1. mangotree

Just wondering who here is on a diet, plans to be on a diet, or has just stopped dieting?

For those who are, what were your reasons for starting it, what does your diet consist of or what is the "name" of the diet, what's your goal, and what do you plan to do when you reach your goal, has it been easy or difficult?

I know there's a lot of different terminology around diets these days - eating lifestyle, eating philosophy, lifestyle change, etc. etc. I'm interested in all of them.

2. arkangel

Im on a "diet", if you can call it that. I was concerned with my wait, and to combat it, I cut out soda and sugared drinks. The past 6 months, I have lost 50 pounds, and I have never felt better. Gutting all that sugar out of my diet has done wonders for my mood. Though going 'cold turkey' on the soda was a challenge, it is now second nature to get a glass of water or tea over sodas.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't diet, I just try to have a good diet.

My aim is maintaining a high amount of energy, avoiding illness and treating my body well in the long-term. The idea of having a fixed goal, an end date or whatever limitation you can impose on yourself doesn't sit very well with me and it seems very short-sighted. If you only intend to have a short blitz of healthiness, you're not really being overly healthy.

Committing to losing however many kilos of weight and then simply stopping isn't a great way to be healthy. My advice is always to forget your specific weight and focus more on your nutritional intake, how you're feeling and what makes you feel fit rather than just what makes you thin. Sure, being lithe tends to be quite good, but making it the focus of your eating habits tends to put your health itself in second place and makes that same, coveted slimness less sustainable and less enjoyable. If you focus on the scale, you're likely to want just that one kilo more gone every single time you hit the new goal. If you focus on how you feel, you'll probably be satisfied for much longer and happy with keeping up the good habits.

#3 Aussie792, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  4. TacobellKFC

Out Status:
    A few people
    My fat ass needs to be on a diet.

5. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been trying to eat better although no specific diet. 25 lbs. down so far. Cut out all soda, diet and otherwise and I mostly drink iced tea now, and less sugar, less processed food and no fast food.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why? I eat whatever I want and I don't gain weight.

7. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I'm currently taking advantage of my teenage metabolism XD That being said, I try not to eat too much junk and get a decent amount of exercise.

8. anniebunnie

anniebunnie Guest

Getting on a diet isn't always about losing weight though..some people get on specific diets to gain weight if they need to or to just be more healthy

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok sweetie pies :slight_smile:

10. RadioRoss

I'm not exactly on a diet, but im just trying to eat more healthy, and less....now i know, people will freak out over that, but i just mean less snacks and stuff that's shitty for my body. I mean, i weigh like 94 pounds, so i dont need to worry about weight that much.

11. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not really on a diet I am just trying to improve how many veggies and fruit I eat everyday.
    I am currently focusing on eating a good breakfast every morning, once I go back to school I will improve my morning tea and lunch and then also do my afternoon tea as I have no choice in my dinner.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really "believe" in diets, especially fad diets. Whatever reason you're dieting for won't be permanently resolved by a temporary change. For example, if your goal is to attain a healthy body weight and you want to MAINTAIN it, you're going to have to make lifelong changes. In which case, your diet won't ever "end." Anyways, the idea of temporary diets is silly.

With that off my chest, no I am not on diet. I mean, I believe I eat fairly healthy for the most part though.

13. RemakeJake

Please, please, pleeeeeeease don't diet, lovely people. Diets simply do not work. They may temporarily, but a lifestyle change is needed. You need to eat healthier (not the same as going on a diet), exercise, and most importantly, be kind to yourself every step of the way. I realize how damn cliché that sounds, but you will get absolutely nowhere without doing that. It's so easy to stand in front of a mirror and point out things you aren't a fan of, or to critique yourself over and over again. Even now, I still sometimes catch myself doing that. But, the only things you can do are improve what you can improve and accept what you can't. That's something a worthless supplement will never teach you. To top it off, I advise you to read and recite a quote from one of my favorite people:

If you can't love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love somebody else, can I get an amen?

[​IMG]

14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  15. RemakeJake

(*hug*)

16. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

My eating is okay but I NEED to start exercising! I have two more weeks before returning to work and I can't fit any work clothes!!

17. Hiems

I changed my eating habits ever since I was overweight last summer. I just ate healthier and ate less. I did reach my goal months ago, but I have continued eating this way since then.

I mostly eat legumes, fruits, veggies, low-fat cottage cheese, and lean meats. I avoid carbs that have high glycemic indices, e.g. white rice, white bread.

I rarely treat myself to junk food.

18. rugerman52

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm on a strict diet that consists of red bull and mcdonalds, followed by a vigorous workout of couch squats.

19. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Having always been on the border between normal and underweight (which I attribute to genetics), my diet is basically my diet. :lol:

---------- Post added 18th Jan 2015 at 11:51 PM ----------

Even though I'm a scientist, seeing "kilo" used in common speech is so odd. America is weird.

20. Mero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ew diets...
    This is why I hate sweets or anything unhealthy.
    WHY ARE YOU SO DELICIOUS (XAX)
    I suppose just eating "healthy" and exercising counts?