1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much does LGBT issues affect your life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SonicBoom, Jan 20, 2015.

?

How much does LGBT issues affect your life ?

1. A LOT

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. A FAIR amount.

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. A LITTTLE

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  4. None at all.

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. SonicBoom

My answer is not very much.

LGBT issues affect every now and them but not very often.

How about you?

2. Rainbows~Exist

A little. I get the occasional insult from the dumbasses in my year group but other than that I live in a place that is mostly accepting :slight_smile:

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

For me personally, not that much at all honestly. We got gay marriage in my state a couple years ago and that was pretty much the last important thing.. like i'm ever getting married

4. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well my stepmom likes to torment me for it everyday, so I'd say a fair amount...

5. CyanChachki

Fair amount. This new mayor we have is trying to get pride week out of our city and we've had to fight against that quite a bit. I mean, they already discontinued the LGBTQ groups and taking that one week a year that we have is unacceptable. I mean, if you miss something, you literally have to wait an entire year to have a chance at going again.

6. soulcatcher

What was their reasons for stifling the freedom of expression?

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With being trans, most of my life has been effected because of LGBT issues. Things that are pretty simple for most people are sometimes a lot harder for me.

I also work on helping improve the transgender accommodations (and overall LGBT friendlessness) of my college campus. I've had multiple meetings with residence hall staff, and I have even helped to have a resolution passed that says that all renovated buildings have to have a gender neutral bathroom. I'm usually always around here too :slight_smile: So, all of these things combined have a pretty big impact on my life.

8. tscott

Since having been out for a year, I've had to re-evaluate my politics, because there are those in my group who are disenfranchised and without basic human rights. So, yes, I've been "radicalized" a bit.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fairly little. LGBT issues affect my openly gay and lesbian friends much more than they do me, as I'm functionally straight for the foreseeable future.

10. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I feel like a spoiled, whiny brat saying this as a person who, other than being gay, falls into almost no minority groups and was been born and raised in arguably the most gay-friendly location on the planet, but my answer is a lot.

I spent so many years feeling so sick and ashamed and disgusted with myself, like I was a stupid, inferior, disgusting, disgraceful, pathetic, worthless joke of a human being, trying to repress my sexuality, and honestly hoping that somehow, someway I would die just so I wouldn't have to live my life as a gay person. All those years haunt me to this day, and on a daily basis, I'm reminded of the societal and cultural factors that drove me to feel that way about myself. I still see them in action, I see no signs or indications of them getting better, and whenever I get into a conversation with a straight person about this stuff, they tell me to shut up, suck it up, and that I just have to "move on."

And honestly? I still feel a lot of those feelings of shame and absolute disgust with myself, even though I've started coming out, and they interfere with my life on a daily basis. With therapy and medication, I've gotten to the point where I can function well enough to be successful and get done what I need to get done, but I know now that these feelings are probably going to be staying with me for the rest of my life, and I'll probably never get to the point where I can get by without help of some sort.

But you know what? I'm not saying this to throw a pity party. A part of me is glad I experienced this because now I know what it's like, I know what's wrong with society, and I can use my knowledge and experiences to help make society a better place.

11. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Surprisingly, I've yet to be hit by the blow-back. I'm preemptively braced and steeled for it, but so far none of my problems can be traced back to my orientation.

Granted, I'm largely indifferent towards a lot of things that I've noticed would upset others, so maybe that has something to do with it.

#11 Rawrzilla, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
  12. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say a lot, as I'm literally fighting for myself and my LGBT+ comrades to be recognized as human beings, whilst worrying that someone's going to drag me into the street and beat the shit out of me.

An injustice against one person is an injustice to us all.

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who plans to be on the front line of the LGBT Rights Movement and LGBT Politics moving forward, I'd say a lot.

14. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My fears and anxiety on how my family and my friends (both from home and at college) will respond to me coming out preoccupies my thoughts almost constantly. There isn't even an hour where I don't even have a little tiny thought about it. The exception being me watching a movie.

I feel this will mostly change once I come out of the closet. I'm sure doing so will create a lot of actual problems for me, but it will also eliminate all of my imaginary ones.

15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not too much really. I mean, right now my life is pretty centered on school. Nobody says much regarding me being gay (I assume most people don't really know, but some friends claim my voice would give it away :confused:). So at this point in my life when I'm trying to get school done and dealing with depression/anxiety it doesn't affect me that much; it's kind of on the back burner right now.

16. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It definitely did--I tried to kill myself in high school over it. And it is still a big deal for me politically and ethically. But I feel like what people are trying to get to here is how much "LBGT issues" affect your day-to-day life. While I think being gay affects pretty much every aspect of my life (I'm not of the school of thought that it is a minor part of who I am as a person) I don't think LGBT "issues" affect me much at all any more. I don't really experience any discrimination; I experience little to no intolerance; I don't feel that it really limits me in any way. I'm very fortunate that way.

17. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a lot. It was easy for me to come to terms with my sexuality, and I've never been on the receiving end of discrimination.

18. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

None really. Gay people have equal rights in Canada. As for my city, I've never heard about a hate crime. Aside from stupid comments in high school such as "That's so gay" and "Faggot", not directed at me though. I feel for those individuals who don't live in a country where they have equality.

19. Quiet Raven

Quite a bit. I am a transgender, I face dysphoria every day. And I didn't start transitioning because I am still kinda scared to completely come out...

20. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    LGBT issues don't affect me...There isn't a single straight boy who knows I'm Gay, so I don't have to deal with their bullshit...