1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Senses

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I was having a discussion with somebody in a class of mine, and it was about our senses and how important they are to us. Eventually, this question was posed to others in the class, as well:

Of your five senses, which one could you live without? And, why did you pick the one you did?

I figured, this should be an interesting question to pose here. So, if you had to give up your sight, hearing, smell, taste, or touch, which would it be? And why did you pick that one?

Most folks, at least in the conversation group leaned towards smell, and their answers were all, pretty much, because it'd be the easiest to deal with. The second most popular was taste, because folks believed it'd allow them to eat almost anything, and not have to worry about taste.

It was seeing, hearing, and touching that were the hardest to let go of.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would lose taste. Taste is dependent on smell, so to lose smell would be a double-blow anyway. Smell would still allow the enjoyment of food; to smell it and to feel its texture would be enjoyable even without directly tasting it.

Touch is quite important too; it's what lets you know when you're injured or uncomfortable and automatically tells you how firmly or gently you have to physically interact with objects. I would hate to be clumsy and have to consciously evaluate how something should be held so that it wouldn't be damaged, dropped or whatever else might happen. I would hate to be physically endangered because I couldn't detect or feel the severity of burns, extreme cold or wounds. It would be a blessing in a tight fix to be able to extricate yourself without consideration for pain, but it might very well get you into one and the injuries as a result of it could be monstrous. On a daily basis, it'd be extremely difficult to regulate your body movements if you couldn't actually feel them.

Sight and hearing are too important for me - to severely hinder my communicative abilities by losing either would make life very difficult. They might be my most treasured senses, along with touch.

3. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd be inclined to go with smell. It would be the easiest to deal yes with but would also offer certain advantages, like not having to deal with bad smells that would deter others from being in a place/situation. It would lessen the taste of food, but assuming in this scenario that the two are treated as separate (not sure about the biological functions, ie could one have to disappear without the other?) then not so much that you couldn't still enjoy it.

Taste would be the second but in this case I think the disadvantages would outweigh the advantages; yes I wouldn't have to worry about how things taste, but if everything had a blank flavour what would be the motivation to eat much other than to mechanically serve hunger pangs? Could potentially make for some serious weight loss. Maybe this would be less of a concern to someone who can put on weight easily though.

I already have some level of difficulty with my sight and hearing. With my vision it's more issues with tracking and focusing but I'm fairly sure I'm getting more short sighted as well. With my ears it's a combination of tinnitus and their annoying habit of closing up so much that everything sounds like I'm hearing it through water for weeks on end. Put these two together and it gets quite disorienting.

#3 TigerInATophat, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a very faint sense of smell, so I don't think it counts to say "I'd dump that." I think the real answer is to get rid of something I actually have and enjoy.

I would lose taste. Sure, it would be hard not to be able to enjoy food anymore, but on the other hand, there are many, many ways to enjoy life. And maybe if I "enjoyed" food a bit less, I'd lose weight finally.

Sight, hearing, and touch are required for a warrior, but they are also required for me to enjoy life. Without a sense of touch, for example, I couldn't enjoy sex. At which point I don't really see living... Also as a warrior you can't detect hazards nearly as well.

Adrienne

5. BelleFromHell

I say smell. My sense of smell is rather crappy, anyway, so it won't make much of a difference. I'd use smell as a coup out, but if I'm not allowed to, taste would be my choice. I couldn't imagine living without touch, sight, or hearing.

6. Notlad

Smell. I love good smells and all.. but they aren't as important as the others

7. Quiet Raven

I completely agree with Aussie.

8. Jellal

I think about this one a lot. It reminds me about the ancestor battle from EarthBound where one by one the enemy destroys your five senses. So how would it go for me?

First to go is smell, because my sense of smell is actually almost lost, trivia fact about me! When I was young my allergies were so severe and I blew my nose so much that eventually after multiple bloody painful nasal explosions, I basically lost my ability to smell anything—except for the worst things, like decaying matter, rotten meat, sewage, landfills. And those scents tend to get mega-amplified to me for some reason, basically making me tear up and start coughing from how bad it smells. I wish my sense of smell would just die off for good!

Second is sight, although I would hate to go without it. But, as Fujitora says in One Piece, "there are many things in this world I would rather not see." Besides, I don't like looking carefully at people and my vision isn't good. I tend to like looking at things in my head anyway, compared to the real world. Still, this is the first sense I would be sad to lose.

Third is taste. Eating good-tasting food is really important to me, and I think it's one of the great joys of life. I can never smell good food, but I can certainly taste it, and it's delicious. Even without knowing what it would look like, I could still enjoy the food I ate and that would give me more strength to enjoy my days even if I was deprived of my vision. But to lose the sense of taste would suck. I really don't like the idea of not tasting any of my food at all.

Fourth is hearing. Music means so much to me, and I love listening to it. I love listening to peoples' voices and being able to respond with my own. I love the sound of wind, and rain, and the sound of waves rolling in and out. Cats meowing. If I were to lose hearing, along with all the other senses to this point, I think I would have very little will to live anymore.

Fifth is touch. Even having lost all those other senses, touch would still ground me into the physical world to a certain extent. It's fundamental, and if I were to lose it I would likely go completely insane if I hadn't already been driven into madness at this point.

In the end, I guess I'd have to give up my mind, but I don't really want to do that!
    Damn. Thinking about this just made me really grateful to have the senses I've got.

9. CelestialBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, I'd probably say I'd lose my sense of.... Taste, most likely. I can't say smell, as I've already lost it 100% (I have never been able to smell, I was born without the sense.) I like tastes, but the other three are of way too much importance to me and I don't want to live without them.

10. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My answer is also smell. I live in the countryside. You don't need more reasoning than that. And I would save money on magic trees. The only problem I can think of is I would shower more often out of paranoia and that isn't the end of the world.

I would also soon adjust to giving up my sense of taste, although it would suck a bit being unable to taste food, I would get over it. And it would be a relief to listen to some songs without my imagination screwing with my sense of taste.

I would find it difficult to cope if I gave up my sense of hearing. No wonder I'm careful with music volume. I would eventually adjust and use all that time on other hobbies. There have been times in my life where I'm too busy to listen to music for weeks on end, and I survived that... the rest of my life would be possible, after I mourn the loss, of course.

I would find it even more difficult to cope if I gave up my sense of sight. It would hurt being unable to appreciate the translucent blue handle on my Spyderco Manix 2 and a lot of other things. I think I could still get everything important. For example, my medication has braille on it. I might also obtain a guide dog.

I would HATE to lose my sense of touch. Life would 'feel' empty without my ability to sense pain and pleasure. I've read about people with rare problems that render them unable to feel pain (although they can still feel touch) and they end up with a lot of injuries. I know myself well enough to say that losing my sense of touch would basically be a death sentence.

11. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would get rid of touch I think. I think I would miss it the least, and bonus, increased pain tolerance! (aka more tattoos)

I was tempted to say smell as well but that's less of a sacrifice because I'm allergic to the smell of coffee (amoung other smells). Literally it would be a blessing if I could no longer smell coffee, that crap is everywhere!

As long as I have sight and hearing I think I'd be fine.

12. Psaurus918

Smell... I have a really sensitive sense of smell if somethings too strong I'll start sneezing or if something smells really bad it makes my stomach turn.

Taste would be a close 2nd. I love food but I would hate to lose sight or hearing.

13. White Knight

I would give up sense of taste.

Sight, hearing, smell and touch/skin too important for survival. Yeah people with those disablities can live but in modern cities. They can't survive in nature. In case of post-apocalypse I think I can survive without sense of taste.

14. the haunted

I'd give up taste. I feel like smell is more useful. Smelling carbon monoxide poisoning or smoke anyone?

15. White Knight

Or leaking gas... which was my first thought... You wouldn't want to blow yourself up, aye?

16. Sonoa

Out Status:
    Some people
    It would be smell, my sense of smell is kinda weak anyways and being near garbage areas would be less torturing. Though i would miss the beautiful scent of coffee

17. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Touch: I love to cuddle and intimate touching is one of the biggest ways i show love, so this one I'm keeping.
    Sight: lets face it after having it, it would be hard to imagine life without,

Sound: I love music and really wouldn't want to live without music.

That leaves taste and smell though I would miss them but given the choice I would sacrifice them over the others. Hell, maybe it would make food less enjoyable so I could lose weight. Think of the benefit if celery (nasty vile creation I don't know why they classify it as food) tasted exactly like bacon/cake.

18. TheStormInside

Like many others, I'd first want to give up my sense of smell. Though for a slightly different reason. I like to joke I have "werewolf senses" and my sense of smell is the one that is most "enhanced" compared to other people, and it gives me a lot of trouble. I can't be around strong smells such as perfumes or spicy foods. I get pain, headaches, coughing, the works. I even find scented laundry detergents and things along those lines bothersome. While there are upsides to it (I detected gas leaks in my old house that no one else noticed, but were indeed there) I sometimes wish it would just go away.

At times, I also wish I could shut off my sense of hearing. I'm also very sensitive to sound. But I would not want to permanently give up my hearing... the loss of ability to communicate with ease would not be something I'd willingly give up.

19. tscott

Smell is definitely the sense I'd give up. I would miss many pleasant smells, especially lilies of the valley or a roasting chicken, but it would be the least price to pay as far as the other senses are concerned.

20. CyanChachki

I'd go with smell. My nose is always blocked anyway and the only thing I seem to be able to smell really well is coffee..