1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genetic? Just my crazy theory.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CyberScream, Jan 20, 2015.

1. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear a lot of stuff about homosexuality and genetics but I have never really read to much into it. And my reason for wondering is because I have checked most of my family members from my mom and dad's side of the families. To most of my knowledge, there is nobody on my father's side that is homosexual or bi for that matter. But on my mother's side, (which I don't know very well. They are out of state), but there are 2 openly gay men. My mom's twin brother. And her cousin. And then thanks to mother's side, you have me. So I kinda got to thinking that maybe in some crazy way, that it could be genetic. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, it's just something to keep my mind busy when I am extremely bored. Gets the brain working. And if it is genetic, then I am proud of my mother's side. It's just my crazy thoughts.

What do you guys think? And if there are links with Homosexuality in relation to genetics, feel free to post them up. I would like to read them because I can learn something. Plus I find it very interesting. It's like I am trying to solve a a great mystery.

2. Shostoppa23

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I go back and forth too. It's hard to know which is right. I am bi- but questioning men - I usually date only women but it's complicated for me too. I know that my mom's side has some- a few who identify as bi also but my dad's side has a few too. I didn't grow up with all of them in close contact to influence me. I don't know the research on it being genetic except I do know there was a prescription that mothers took during a pregnancy (one particular one- and I don't recall which one now bc I learned about it a while ago) but it had a high occurancy of girls who identified as lesbians in adolescence and beyond. It didn't have a high occurance of men who identified as gay in adulthood though. It was really high between 70-80 percent... i think you could look it up if you are interested in it. I'm sure there is plenty of research.

Sorry that's not too specific but I also find the question interesting.

3. Hizaki

I probably know much less about this than you, but instead of genetics, it could be perhaps your / any family's general attitude towards it. That is, if nobody is gay, then that trend will probably continue (unless it gets so un-gay it becomes gay again haha what the hell am I saying?), or if there is an "atmosphere" of gay, then maybe it will actually be considered by the new arrivals *shrug*

4. Notlad

I do wonder. I'm the second gay sibling.. and I know of two other sets of gay brothers in my area. 1 or 2 maybe. But 3? That seems a little odd.

Whatever it is I'm not changing. I figure the cause doesn't matter.

5. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    There was a theory some years ago that was based on the idea that homosexuality could be a trait passed down by the opposite-gender parent, specifically the study focused on gay males because they found when studying their mother's family trees there were statistically more gay male relatives than would usually be expected. The theory was that the opposite sex parent acts as a 'carrier' for the gene (if it exists), so whilst it would not affect her own sexuality it might mean her male children were more likely to be gay.

That said, there are plenty of examples of people who are the only LGBT members in their whole family (as far as they know), plus the fact that most family trees will have at least a few inaccuracies if you go back far enough, so who's to say.

There are a great many theories about potential causes; genetics, in-uterine development, environment, or a combination.

6. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You gave me some very good insight! I mean, after reading your post it made some since considering my situation (which isn't a situation... it's a something... but I dunno what to call it).

But thank you all for chipping in. I want to hear more perspectives on this. The more I get the more my brain ticks. Oooohhh this is getting fun!!! (!)

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are quite a lot of articles on it; though, it seems apparent no one gene is responsible as even identical twins don't always have the same orientation. One of the biggest predictors is that every son a woman has is 33% more likely to be gay than his older brothers. So, there is likely some epigenetic factors (epigenetics are gene "controllers").
    How our genes could make us gay or straight - The Washington Post

8. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it could be genetic. If you look at several different siblings many of them if one is gay or bi the other one(s) usually are too

9. Tohru-Chan

I think it -could- be genetic. But it must be some kinda accident for me as there are no LGBT family members at all on either side of my family.

10. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's why I think about it. Maybe there is some other genetic force (when I say that... I mean genetic reason), but there could be multiple variables and x-factors we just don't know about. How many times has the mother had a child. From what I understand, a a lot of these are solely based on why males are homosexual. Sorry, girls.

But it also reminded me of a documentary I watched on Netflix. They use to be really good with LGBT films and documentaries. They even HAD their own little section. But that disappeared. But the movies stayed on. If you are interested in checking out the documentary or other related documentaries, please check Netflix first. They usually have something.

-"Fish Out Of Water" is a bit cartoon-ish but mainly the social and religious aspect of homosexuality. And it tries interpret the Bible in the context is was meant for at the time many years ago. A good watch

-"For The Bible Tells Me So" This is a very well done and my personal favorite documentaries that offers a small cartoon-ish education video about the genetic reason behind homosexuality. But it is the best for the same reason as the above mentioned documentary, but they do a much better job of in depth and complex thinking and study of the issue. I recommend watching.

-"This Is What Love Looks Like" - A documentary about a boy being sent off to religious and anti-gay conversion boot camp and the physical, and mostly psychological dangers that it can hold for the participants. Also a good watch.

Though I feel, much study in the genetics is lacking, If they don't appear at all, in all three of the above mention documentaries. But they are interesting perspectives to have when diving into the subject.

11. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There was a somewhat similar and quite interesting discussion here:
    Brains

(*hug*)

#11 jay777, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  12. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh thank you! I will read!!! :thumbsup:

13. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I don't know, but I suspect it might be.

My grandmother from my dad's side is lesbian

14. AAASAS

Just watch this. I hate watching gay people talk about the origins of being gay, I feel like it's biased. This is just upfront honest reasoning for homosexuality, the show is pretty reputable so I believe them.

It's the SciShow from Youtube, love it.

[youtube]9T5vHi-WrMk[/youtube]

15. SomeLeviathan

the nature v nurture dichotomy is widely rejected by anyone in the field who knows what they are talking about, it isn't one or either, it is both, and an interaction between the two.

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course, every sexual orientation must have some genetics. All our behavior is genetic in some way.

17. RikkuOrihara667

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My uncle on my dad's side is gay so I to have wondered if maybe it's genetics but is there any concrete studies or facts to prove or disprove the theory?

18. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    the Answer Does Lie in the Womb

19. MisterTinkles

As far as I know, Im the only "gay" person in my family, and for the past two generations that I know about.

Genetics cannot, at this point, be proven or disproven with any solid concrete evidence.......so I cannot say.

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought it was from chromosomes. :confused: