1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Easily Do You Forgive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Pretty straight forward question.

So, how easily do you forgive? Are you constantly forgiving in general? Or, do you take a 'forgive but don't forget' approach? Does it depend on the offense? And so on and so forth.

2. Jellal

It depends on the person, not so much their actions with me. If there's someone who I enjoy spending time with regularly I will forgive them for their slights and move on. But if I'm dealing with shit from someone I would rather not spend time around, I will never forgive them, and will always spurn them or avoid them—even if the reason they initially bothered me wasn't actually all that big of a deal.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can forgive easily as long as the person seeking forgiveness follows a few key rules of apology.

I have an entire philosophy of apology (which I'm about to demonstrate to staff in the coming days for something I said, for example). Namely:

1. The person making the apology must allow enough time for the person hearing it to have fully processed all the hurt the actions caused.
    2. The person making the apology must allow enough time for herself to fully understand and be able to explain the reasons it hurt the other.
    3. The person making the apology must make it unconditionally.

If these steps are followed, I can easily forgive many things.

The thing is, I'm not used to receiving a lot of unconditional apologies.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Too easily. Unless I'm given reason to suspect that their apology is not genuine, I will usually instantly forgive. People can take advantage of me that way until I wig out and essentially cut them out of my life.

5. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I forgive, but I never forget...

6. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't forgive easily. In fact, if somebody has done something to me that I thought was demeaning, wrong, horrible and any other stuff that was of a negative nature on an extreme level, and they wanted my forgiveness? That ship has already set sail and it doesn't come back. As a Cancer, and if trust you and make myself vulnerable to you, and you betray that... then I cut myself off from you and leave you to go kick rocks. I'm sick and tired of being hurt and forgiving someone only to have it happen again. It's the reason I am a social introvert, it's the reason I can't hold healthy relationship, it's the reason I am so locked away in my shell and I don't want to come out. I may be 23, but I have the heart of 7 year old frightened child. Trust and forgiveness... not my thing. If you want forgiveness, then go ask Jesus, but not me. Because I will ask you, "why do you seek my forgiveness? Is it so you can feel better about yourself?" or, "And if I do forgive you. Don't expect me to trust you ever again."

I'm sorry, Kaiser. You asked for a simple answer. I reacted without thinking and went to an emotionally dark place considering this subject. My apologies.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Actually, there is no right or wrong answer for this. Maybe a practical and not-so-practical, at best.

No need to apologize. In fact, the whole point of my threads, usually, is to generate deep thinking and passionate responses. I find it helps one to grow in strength, and to really get to know themselves, because they're very piercing. Of course, one always has the option not to involve themselves, which is how it should be.

If you haven't figured it out, I enjoy dissecting complexity, especially when it pertains to individuals or societal standards. Some might perceive that as making me a 'mad scientist' of sorts, and maybe they're right. But I embrace the fact, I can look at things from so many sides and opinions, because it makes me all the wiser, and all the more resourceful. I like to instill this onto others.

And... it's typically interesting.

8. Acm

Acm Guest

Forgive but never forget I guess. I never really set out to have that as my approach but that's generally how I respond. I forgive people very easily, but I always remember when I've been treated badly.

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can sometimes hold grudges, but normally I just let things go. It's kind of an implied forgiveness as long as the offense doesn't still affect me (i.e. why I am always irritated with my dad).

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find forgiveness difficult. Not that I often express it, but I will mistrust the intentions of anyone who has failed to repent for their wrongdoings.

I judge whether something should be forgiven based on the severity of the action, the intention behind it, the minimisation of further harm once it's begun, taking responsibility for what can't be salvaged, compensating appropriately for the grievances caused and repentance following the act.

I would provide examples, but then I'd feel the need to elaborate more than is worth the time. What I will say is that I agree with Pret on all but one thing; I don't believe it has to be unconditional. Someone who has taken the lesser of two evils should apologise for the damage done, but they should not have to regret that they made that decision out of the options available if it was the least harmful. It's appropriate that they apologise for the harm done, but they should regret only that they were in a position in which they had to make such a decision at all. If they acted responsibly and as ethically as possible under trying circumstances, I believe an apology can be conditional as well as genuine.

11. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I have noticed. And sometimes I get lost into the wonderful world of thinking and diving into complex issues. I think that's why I feel like I can relate to you. And why I get along with you. :thumbsup:

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right.

And since people tend to keep doing or saying the same things over and over, I stop forgiving them and try to get them out of my life, if possible, or stay away from them.

Some of these people are either sort of sick, have no clue that they're doing something wrong (to another person), or both.

We can talk in platitudes all we want about this topic but, in the end, human nature, and someone's specific wiring, is just that.

13. Randomcloud

Easily, sometimes too easily. I give people a lot of chances and it's not hard to expel poisonous people from my life

14. crazydiamond

It depends on what was done to me. I can forgive for most things, but what I cannot tolerate is cheating or lying. I can't look at the person the same way after.

15. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've gotten better with forgiveness. I used to be very vindictive. I still have an instinct to bear grudges but I have gradually learned to be able to forgive certain things if the person is genuinely remorseful, and to consider the reasons behind their actions, assuming these are strong reasons and not simply excuses. Even if it's not immediately obvious people do have stuff going on in their own lives that effects how they are in regards to me.

Forgetting on the other hand is a different story. I see no logical benefit to forgetting. All experience be it good or bad is a learning experience, it's a tricky balance: learn from the things that have happened but don't dwell on them. Dwelling on things that have gone wrong in the past will serve to damage the present and the future, though it's easier said than done for many I find it's better to 'catalogue it away' for future reference.

16. AlamoCity

I forgive (conditionally), but rarely forget.

However, there are several instances where I have vowed to never forgive someone. One such person is the minister from my grandmother's church who did not let my father or me speak at my grandmother's private funeral held in a secular funeral home, if we wanted him to speak (per my grandma's wishes). In cases like this, I won't keep quiet in front of the person who committed the offense and will politely kick his ass verbally if the situation presents itself.

Oh, and I can be vindictive as hell.

17. White Knight

Depends on the act but mostly I "let it go" but don't forget the act.

Also person is importnat as well... I think my mother, my best friend and my cats only creatures that I can forgive and forget what they done... as I can understand logic behind their acts... I understand reason behind other people's actions as well but I don't love them much.

One other thing, I have a very very thick skin. Sometimes people start to apoligize and I wonder what they did or said wrong???

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

As a child, I had a very hard time with forgiving anybody. It helped justify why I did the things I did, and forgiving people, also, in my opinion at that time, was opening the door for them to wrong me again.

You did something to oppose or offend me, you would never be forgiven. I would remember that, for years, even if you were no longer around. It would just pile up inside until, eventually, I believed the entire world was full of flawed and heartless people -- it gave me all the justification I needed when hurting others, because I could just say:

"This person actually wronged me, and this one, well, they will wrong me if given the chance!"​

I grew up a very angry and manipulative child, and those traits are, to this day, hard to shake. I had no problem with getting back at somebody, and sometimes it would exceed the frustration/pain inflicted upon me. I wanted to instill in others, if you fuck me over, I will fuck you up. I would leave you a reminder as to the terrible mistake you made, in even thinking I was easy, in even assuming I was just a no-name notch in your belt. This was the anger and the ego talking, and telling me to be preemptive.

In my later teenager years, I began to mellow out. While I struggled with forgiving people due to old habits, it had to be done. To not forgive was to give another power -- and I will be damned if I willingly give somebody power over me! This started me down a more productive path, one which I am still tempted to stray from, especially if things begin to become a little too much. There's, sadly, still a comfort in wanting to consider the possibility of old habits; primarily due to the fact, I am so good at ruining people.

In my early 20s, it was something I continued working on, and with time I became better at it. Now, in my late 20s, it's something I've gotten used to. I still have my difficult moments, because I am not fond of admitting somebody wronged me, but such thoughts are typically counter-productive and destructive. That's what I have to tell myself.

In short, I've come quite a ways. But I'd be wrong to say, I don't have more work to do; and it will probably be a lifetime process. It's particularly difficult not to be like that, to think like that, when you had to navigate the world, without anybody really in your corner. But I've done a fine-enough job, at least to be able to acknowledge this, and to own up to it.

19. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Forgive but never forget. I think there is some kind of "mental propaganda" for the act of forgiving. Forgiveness is something you need to earn, and not expect after you do something bad.

20. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Indeed. There is that school of thought that forgiveness needs to be earned. It's not free. The person being forgiven needs to do something different.

---------- Post added 20th Jan 2015 at 11:25 PM ----------

Sometimes, that is earned, too.

What's the saying? 'Revenge tastes sweeter when served cold,' or something like that.