1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you overshare?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Anongirl123

Do you consider yourself someone who overshares in conversation? As in, you're talking to someone, and afterwards all you can think is "why did I say that!"

If so, what type of oversharing? Gossip about other people? Family/relationship drama? Personal issues? Health problems? Blurting generally strange, and even offensive/inappropriate, randomness?

If you are an unintentional oversharer, how do you overcome anxiety, embarrassment, and even guilt/depression associated with how you carry yourself? Do you think it's overblown (as in, it's all in your head and you're making it out to be worse than it really is), or are you truly guilty of being a real oversharer? Do these insecurities with oversharing lessen with age? - I've heard many times that as you get older, you obsess less and less over what you say to people.

2. Aro

Aro

I never say more than I intend to. It depends on the type of person I am talking with, really. I share to the level that they are comfortable with. I am a very open person and don't hold a lot of shame for anything. If they ask, I will share. I am, however, very guarded in information until I get to know someone.

I think that it is quite true about age, however. Because you know who you are and it doesn't matter what other people think about you. However, I still think it's important to have a filter, haha. XD

3. Rainbows~Exist

YES!!! I don't know why but if I'm talking to someone and the conversation's going good and we're both enjoying then I'll open up more and more until they know my goddamn life story -_-

4. chocolate dream

It depends on the person and the situation.Sometimes i tend to share too much but not very often.Im a very private person at work so theres no problems of it happening there

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It depends on the context of the situation, usually.

Offline, I tend to only speak when I have something to say, or when somebody is speaking to me. Sometimes, I may interject if it is necessary, but I'm fine with being an observer. Despite this, often times, I wind up having to "carry" any conversations, because it appears to be a difficult task for so many. So, no, I don't really over share...

However, I won't bite my tongue. If it happens to happen, it happens. Some topics I'm pretty lock and key about offline, like my sexuality and transgenderism, but other than that, I'm pretty much an open book. Provided it fits into the situation. I'm not, for example, going to talk about how cute that girl is, when somebody is discussing a death in their family.

Online, I'm a little more open, like here, but even then I take a 'tell them enough to make a point, but leave a lot to make them wonder'. Some topics I have no intention of ever really going into great detail, like some of the more cruel mean activities I've done, mostly due to the fact, they shouldn't be glorified. I'm not proud of many of those things, despite being proud of the lessons I learned from those things.

However, if the situation calls for it, then maybe. This forum in particular I can be more open, because that's the intent of it. Besides, I'm quite confident somebody, somewhere, takes something from what I share, or have been through, and applies it to themselves or their lives, in some shape or fashion.

But no, I wouldn't say I over share, I'm just tactful about when, where, and how I reveal information.

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

No, I am careful what I reveal

7. CyanChachki

YES. I overshare a lot. I'm that kind of person who speaks whatever is on my mind, rude or nice. It's something that I need to work on being that not a lot of people like it. But really, I'll overshare a lot of things. Family matters, my thoughts, little things that annoy me, you name it. I'll catch myself sometimes though. There will be this little voice in the back of my mind saying, "Don't you say that" so I don't. It's hard, I think.. especially since I've been doing it for the majority of my life.

8. treatmeright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm the silent type in my reality, I keep everything inside. But in the Internet I feel that I share a lot with strangers, it's my only place to vent all my issues.

9. kem

kem

I think I have a pretty good grasp of the amount of information that is okay to share, at least in social situations involving people of my own culture.
    We don't exactly engage in pleasantries – you know, how are you, fine thanks, and you, same here, kind of things – so I do express my displeasure at something, or if I'm having a bad day, I do talk about it a little. I wouldn't go talking about loneliness, mood swings or general acedia, but you know, more shallow things.

10. Bane

Winnipeg, Canada (aka temporary paradise)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel like this thread is talking to me as it makes a lot of sense. I tend to share a lot out of the blue to almost always make a good impression on others. Then it naturally continues. It does make me seem self-centered but at the core of my heart, there is this need to express myself. Plus, I'm also fond of conversation which adds more fuel to the fire of over-sharing. However, I occasionally try to control this trait about me as I think it can be quite selfish to practically always be on the spotlight.

11. Tohru-Chan

Oh god yes! And it's not just that I over-share, I also tend to accidentally interrupt people when a thought pops into my head. Which is, like, all the time. It makes me want to throw a bag over my face. So embarrassing x.x

12. cameroni

cameroni Guest

For me, it depends who I'm with. If I'm with my best friend or in a class that I'm comfortable in, I'll come out with the weirdest comments that make me cringe hours after. And if I'm with new people, sometimes I'll exaggerate the truth to try to make them like me more, which I should probably stop doing. Other times, I'm very reserved and only speak when spoken to or if it's absolutely necessary.

13. Notlad

Sometimes I give all the sordid details so or tends to be a better idea to undershare which I've been doing lately.

14. ANewDawn

I generally don't talk much but if I'm having a one-on-one that's even a little personal I have a bad habit of oversharing in a big way. I have no shame admitting all the less than flattering stuff about myself or family.

15. AAASAS

I've learnt that I have a big mouth. So if I say something wrong, it's usually not offensive I don't really mind.

I have a problem with Canada being active with their military, I really don't think we need it or should be using violence to solve problems for the world. The odd peace keeping mission I agree with, but I did not agree with Afghanistan at all. Canada killed thousands of civilians there, most Canadians are unaware.

Anyway, I've learnt I need to shutup when it comes to me talking about military missions because I have said some bad stuff infront of people who went there.

They won't admit it, but I know they're racist, if they had no problem killing someone because they looked different or looked like the enemy you are a piece of shit in my opinion. Afghanistan wasn't ever a threat to Canada, I really believe in the phrase " turning the other cheek".

So ya, I have said offensive shit infront of ex military members, but I still don't respect them, and everyone I met really was too "Canadian" and not really a believer that they are a member of the world, and not just a member of Canada. No one deserves to be killed for no reason, and we shouldn't be enforcing our beliefs on other people, especially if it's not directly threatening us.

The Afghan and Iraq wars are fucking disgusting to me, to me they're a mass genocide that was allowed to happen, it's fucked.

Over 100,000 innocent people were killed there, because 3,000 westerners died in the Sept 11th attacks, to me 100,000 lives is more valuable than 3,000. But most people in the west, and I bet most people on this forum, believe that WESTERN lives are more valuable than other lives, which is total and utter bullshit.

16. Intrinsicallyme

I don't keep secrets about myself, so if someone asks me a question, or seems interested, I'll share anything. I've learned that a lot of people don't feel the same way. I got in trouble a lot for sharing stories about being abused, and my home situation, which was apparently supposed to be something I suffered in private. I don't really understand why some things are supposed to be kept private, while others are meant to be shared, and I have trouble distinguishing between the two. If someone tells me to keep something a secret explicitly, though, I will.

17. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I tend to share too much with people I'm really close to, and it bothers me a lot. But I think it's natural to do so

18. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sometimes say things that would've been better left unsaid. Like when people have to fill in the blanks themselves, I'd go and say it outloud instead of keeping it to myself, and letting them figure it out on their own. Had plenty of red-faced moments like that.

I overshare something personal from time to time, or as mentioned above, blurt out something that should have remained unsaid. Like just yesterday. My sister's sister-in-law helped her put highlights in her hair. When they mixed the activator crème with the powder, I said the crème looks suspicious. I wasn't lying. It really looked like semen. Nobody said anything but I felt super awkward for having said that :icon_redf

So yeah, I overshare regularly, intentional or not. Pity you can't take back what you've said and make others un-hear it :lol: