1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How easy is it to spot a lesbian?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SonicBoom, Jan 21, 2015.

1. SonicBoom

First of all I would like to say it not my intention to offend anyone who may be a lesbian, I'm just being frank and honest.

I'm a gay male , ever so slightly questioning, but still a gay male.

My whole entire life, my "gaydar" works 2/3 of the time with gay men. I'm pretty good at spotting gay men.

My "gaydar" is NONEXISTENT when it comes to spotting lesbians.

As far as I can remember, I've NEVER saw any woman in my daily life that I don't know and I was able to pick her out as a lesbian.

I have seen plenty of girls that dress like tomboys or women who dress and look like men.

When I do see tomboys or women who dress like men, I DON'T think to myself that she must a lesbian. I only think to myself they dress like boys or men.

I never seen a woman in my daily life that I don't know and think to myself " That woman has lesbian written all over her".

How easy it for you to spot a lesbian?

#1 SonicBoom, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I don't know, I usually can't tell.. But sometimes I can.

The thing is, I pay attention to my gaydar more because I'm a (mostly) gay guy too. If I see an attractive guy it all of a sudden turns on and I can usually tell if they have "the vibes" or not. Haha

All the guys I'm attracted to are feminine men, but even among them I can tell who's straight or not. But of course, you can never truely completely rely on instinct.

3. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not easy! I wish it were easier!
    Now, having said that, it seems that most of the time when I am attracted to someone, even from across the room, they do turn out to be lesbian. I have no idea how that works, but it seems to.

4. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never seen anyone who I was sure was a lesbian. It's not as easy (in my opinion) because there's quite a few guys who are obviously gay because they act like "queens". However, like you said, if women are more masculine I do not assume that they are a lesbian.

5. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's really easy to guess who's lesbian or not at my school. They tend to be badasses that will fight you if you insult them or their friends(which is me). Everyone leaves them alone.

6. soulcatcher

Very easy if they had been sprouting homoerotic tattoos.

7. Tohru-Chan

It is not easy.

8. SonicBoom

Before I started this thread , I thought that maybe their is a slight chance that other LGBT people who can spot out lesbians easily and maybe there is just something wrong with my "gaydar".

Now, I know that everyone else and not just me has a problem spotting lesbians.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Next to impossible in my opinion

10. TheStormInside

I'm not sure, myself. There are a lot of girls/women around here who appear to be very "queer," and so I think sometimes they might be gay, but I have no confirmation of the fact, and it may just be their stylistic preference. Heck, one of my best friends is very androgynous and if I saw her on the street I'd guess she might be a lesbian, but she is totally straight.

Some gay guys do indeed have particular mannerisms that make them stand out. I've not really observed anything like that in lesbians, with the exception perhaps of very very masculine women.

11. PressPlay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They wear Crocs.

12. ANewDawn

I'm the same way. I can almost always tell if a guy is gay (even if they're not a 'queen') but I've never seen a girl on the straight and thot "she's for sure a lesbian." Could be because I'm the only lesbian I've ever known so I don't have much to base off of.

13. Whisper

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's hard, and it drives me insane. (I have good "gaydar" for guys but it does not have any effect with women.) Life would be so much less stressful if it were easier to tell.

14. FluffyDragon

Out Status:
    All but family
    it is most definatly harder to sence if a female is lesbian, but like many others i end up crushing on a girl and it turns out that girl is lesbian. its less of a radar notion, more of a heartfelt one

15. Burnedcloset

My gaydar for lesbian gals.....is really bad. For me to be able to tell....I don't want to stereotype but.....if a girl had really short hair....and boyish clothes. Or if they are really masculine or 'butch'....I don't like the word butch though. I feel it might be offensive?

16. soulcatcher

Really easy. If I think someone is a lesbian, there is a high chance of her actually being one. But then again, some of the girls that I do not suspect of being lesbian may actually be one.

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never really bothered, it just turns out a lot of girls I was into turned out to be later! I can't remember if it was here or on another forum, but someone said they basically refuse to accommodate men, and are more direct with them, compared to straight women - basically there's no sexual tension, so if someone knows and is looking for the signs, they're there.

Except I don't think too many do, and are. Women are given a lot more leeway when it comes to expression, so some things that would send huge red flags for a gay man don't. Unless they're extremely butch, or have never shown interest in the opposite sex, I don't make assumptions.

There's a certain way of speaking, I've noticed, but this is more of a pet hypothesis at this point...

18. kem

kem

my gaydar is awful. Or maybe I've just met a lot of exceptional people.

19. lemons123

For me it's easy to spot them, though I was wrong once I think.
    Pay attention to the "talking" - even the lipstick lesbians have one or more traits in their dictionary/voice temper that can "expose" them. Also, tomboys are always at least slightly bi so this will rule out the straight part at least.
    btw - the people I've met have bad gaydar about me...most people think I am either 100% straight or 100% gay.

20. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't tell a lesbian girl from a hetero one. Unless they do something totally obvious. Sometimes I can't tell a gay man from a hetero one either. Unless, I listen to him talk. But sometimes that doesn't always work either.

I mean, you just don't know anymore in this city. A guy can be leading the gay parade and I would be like "You twirl a hell of a baton, sir!" :roflmao: