1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you know if you're attractive or not?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crazycat, Jan 21, 2015.

1. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Like I don't really know if I'm attractive, like how do you know? I've been told that I'm ugly when I was a kid until like college. People will tell me I'm attractive, but then I find out that I guy I turned down said that he was shocked that I turned him down because I'm 'not exactly the cheerleader type' and like I don't tend to get asked out too often, but when I do they swear that I'm really attractive, but then IDK if I believe them. Like how do you know?

2. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're attractive if you like what you see when you look in the mirror. And honestly, I wouldn't let others define my attractiveness/how I view myself. Although, I guess it's a plus if other people think I am pretty. However, I hate receiving compliments :icon_redf

#2 pinklov3ly, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  3. Quiet Raven

It's all a matter of opinion. Some people will think you are attractive, others won't.

Just focus on making yourself look good in your opinion. And try not to worry too much about what other people think.

4. RainbowMan

Exactly - what's attractive to you might not be attractive to someone else, and vice-versa. It's an entirely subjective construct by the person deciding. You may not find yourself attractive, and I might think that you're the hottest person in the world, or vice-versa.

There's really no right or wrong answer here. Believe me, I know all about the shame around body image.

5. theskyiseverywhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel like people have said I am, but sometimes it's hard to believe, you know? Just when people call you ugly and fat it starts to mess with you.

I judge people's attractiveness by their personalities, not by their faces. If I see a hot guy before realizing he's an asshole, then he's not attractive to me.

6. Notlad

I've been called ugly and attractive so I know how you feel. Don't let them destroy you too much. If you're okay with how you look that's great. I struggle with this still. It's difficult

7. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't feel attractive. However, some people do find me attractive. It's hard to tell for yourself, because in my case I'm my worst enemy. I judge myself more than anyone else, but getting almost over with that with my psychology.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Beauty is a lot about mentality and confidence, not just absolute looks. If someone tells you you're beautiful and they are trustworthy, believe them! You missed a bullet with that jerk searching for the perfect cheerleader type. He will just be another pawn for such a girl, and probably settle for second best soon enough. You don't want to be second best. You want to find someone who thinks you're out of their league, just as you think you're out of there's. :wink:

9. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Beauty is different in the eyes of everyone, I can go days thinking I look great to the next day thinking I look horrid.
    It's also like, I think Benedict Cumberbatch is one of the sexiest men to walk the earth, but there are a lot who disagree. It's all just a matter of preference.

10. Jellal

Like me, I think Cumberbatch looks like a sentient bran muffin.

Attractive to me typically means physically fit. I like seeing some muscle. Maybe not total beefcakes, but someone who is clearly active to a certain degree. And I like seeing this in myself as well. But attractive can also mean shady and disheveled. It's a look that makes me think "hey that's funny" but also "hey, there's something inherently sexy about that." I guess it's the Death Note aesthetic thing I see going on with L. I love everything about L.

11. White Knight

People hit on me... yeah I know it is hard to believe some people have that low standarts but hey it is life... count your blessings.

12. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's all subjective. I mean you could go into a big analysis of what is most commonly considered attractive, or of symmetry and proportions of someone's face etc. But after alls said and down it boils down to personal preference.

I may be biased in this because I'm inclined to judge attractiveness 'by association' with personality. What I mean by that is, there might be someone who on first glance I don't find attractive, but then once I get to know them a bit their features start to appeal to me. Vice versa I have met people who initially looked attractive but within 10 seconds of them opening their mouths and saying something unpleasant, I find I don't want to look at them anymore.

Actually on the subject of Benedict Cumberbatch, what I find intriguing about his face is that he seems to look COMPLETELY different depending on what hair colour he has at the time. I've seen pictures of him with his natural red hair nearby one of him with black hair, maybe lighting played a part but I could have mistaken them for different people on first glance had I not known who it was.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

One thing I've noticed about people is, often times, they try to go for people who have a lot going on in their lives. Successful career, a fit body, and so forth, while they themselves are not on that level. Of course folks want those who are doing well and keeping well, but isn't it sensible to believe, these individuals, too, want the same thing?

You have to look at yourself and, honestly, ask, are you doing the best that you can? People, too often, just want something, without putting anything into or towards it. Also, think about people that may have liked you, but for one reason or another, you turned them down or disregarded them. This is in general, not aimed at the OP directly. Just something to think about...

Now, attraction is a very diverse and complex thing. Look around this forum. That's just the tip of the iceberg. What is appealing or desirable to another, may not be so. At best, it could be acknowledged as nice to look at, but not something you'd want to hop into bed with. Everybody has their own idea of what is attractive, be it due to upbringing, something they lack, their bodily responses, stimulation, and so on and so forth. Sometimes, time and just being around somebody, can make them become more desirable.

I'll give you a personal example. Many people find Angelina Jolie to be aesthetically sexy. She's not bad, but she, in my opinion, on pure aesthetics alone, isn't as high to me as to the general population.

Somebody will find you attractive, in some way. It might be your attitude, your hobbies, your intelligence, your ability to make folks feel good. There are many ways to be attractive, discover and utilize them all. Don't focus on one or two areas; you might draw folks in with those, but you'll be hard pressed to keep them, if you aren't too diverse. You might have a killer body and a good job, but you're boring as hell to talk to, for example. Again, in general, not at anybody in particular.

At the same time, you have to realize, not everybody is going to find you attractive. Just like you won't find everybody attractive. 'Tis life. All you can do is keep improving yourself, living for yourself, and loving yourself. You do this and, I assure you, it'll leave you glowing, which others will notice and want to be a part of.

Besides, why care what others think if they don't find you desirable? I'd rather hold out until I find that somebody who thinks, "Oooooo, dey so sexii!".

14. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If other people tell you and/or flirt with you and try to ask you out. Staring and people chatting about you can be added to the equation, as well.

15. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's all a matter of opinion I think, People have different preferences.
    What really matters is how you feel about yourself.

16. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Everyone's already said it. It's all down to preference.