1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bolivian LGBT stories I.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alex66, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Alex66

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is my first post, hope you like it!

If you want to skip to the story, read within the middle lines only.

I was born and raised in Bolivia, a country in which there are, indeed, LGBT people, stories and suffering, just like in every existing country. The difference is that, in Bolivia, we don't talk about it.

Now, the reason why we don't speak out is unclear: We either choose not to, or we can't. I'd rather go with the second option.

I'm here to share stories that will show you both, the dark and prejudiced side of Bolivia's society and the other side - The one that gives LGBT people some hope. My goal here is to show that, despite the traditional image Bolivia shows to the world, there ARE queer people. We are here, we live, we feel, we understand.

DISCLAIMER: The following story is a translation from one of the very few LGBT-related Bolivian books - "Ser Gay En Tiempos De Evo" or "Being Gay In Evo Times" (Evo Morales is Bolivia's current president)

——————————————————————————————————————————————

Permission To Fly

During christmas dinner, Armandito ate and drunk very little. He was looking for the exact words to tell his family he was gay. Everything went on apparently normal, except for that piece of meat with which uncle Jorge had choked. Having finished Christmas eve's feast, Armandito, who was sitting at the end of the table, in front of everyone and behind the balcony, stood up and confessed, in a concise and clear way, his sexual orientation.

After a very short, yet highly dramatic period of silence, everyone started discussing over what they'd just found out. The only one who woudn't speak a word was Armandito, who waited patiently and fearfully, the veredict of that family which, for a moment, seemed to not recognize him.

When everyone finished talking, they all turned their eyes over to the father, in the opposite end of the table, who said what he always said in similar situations: "And you, whom have you asked permission to be... gay?"

Dissapointed and abashed because of the obvious non-acceptance, warning him about the painful calvary in which his life was about to turn in, Armandito looked at everbody and stepped back just a few steps.

"I will not ask anybody for permission to fly", he said, and let himself fall off the 10th floor of the building.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

Now that was obviously not the happiest stories of all, but it's important. More coming up, encompassing different topics (some happier ones, like parades and stuff), so stay tuned!

Cheers, Alex.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great idea for a thread. There are many cultures where being gay is as common as anywhere but it is just simply. not. acknowledged .. Brushed under the carpet. Africa and Middle East countries spring to mind but I am sure it is the same in many many places. That story was particularly sad but I hope not a true story?

3. Alex66

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you! I hope I could say It's not a true story, but I'd be lying. It happened around 2007, I believe.

4. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sad story, but I liked the thread. Bolivian culture and society is often seem as mysterious around here. About the title of that book, Being Gay In Evo Times, what is your government's stance on homosexuality? Because in my country our government(and its supporters) considers Evo Morales to be a hero against ''conservative forces'' in Bolivia.

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's TERRIBLE… :icon_sad:

6. KingJude

A great thread. An incredibly moving story. The percentage of LGBT+ people is the same worldwide, but as you say, homosexuality/bisexuality etc. is seen as something that doesn't exist, which is a real shame. I hope that this changes, and Bolivia opens up to the LGBT community.

7. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Loving this. I must hear more! Bringing these stories to a wider audience can reveal the injustice that often goes unnoticed in places that don't acknowledge the LGBT+ community.

8. Alex66

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! I'll be happy to answer your questions. Thing is, while it is true Evo Morales is sort of left when it comes to his political views, he only applies it to his "anti-imperialism" and "anti-colonialism".

The general aymara culture has a special treatment when it comes to homosexuality. A lot of native people lynch LGBT+ people, the police has been declared by the UN as the "most homophobic public entity", and the government happens to be a little uninformed about homosexuality.

For example, Evo once said homosexuality is caused by eating chicken, because it's full of feminine hormones and it causes men to "deviate". As you can see, they remind in ignorance about these topics. Evo is, however, very good at breaking traditional and conservative dogmas whe have acquired from colonial Europe, I guess that is what gives him that title in your country.

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2015 at 04:20 PM ----------

Thank you so much! I surely will share more stories, and I'm glad you liked it!

9. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey fellow South American. Nice topic. A big hug for Bolivians!