1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you "think" like a man, woman?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jan 22, 2015.

1. AlamoCity

Do you feel that they way you think is influenced by your gender? Are some thought processes and actions based on your innate sex, or on the social conditioning and pressure to conform a certain way?

How do you know your ideas, thoughts, and behaviors are biologically influenced based on sex as opposed to being simply universal human logic and nature, clouded by social mores and conditioning.

--------------------

For example, I may feel very protective of my family in a physical sense (e.g. always making sure my mom and sister are "safe," especially when I'm around). One can chalk that up to a biological male instinct to protect; or, one could view it as a product of social conditioning that states males protect females; or, one could see it as a logical conclusion that a taller, stronger male should protect a weaker female.

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

There are brain structure differences in the sexes, it's actually been scientifically proven, it has also been proven that transsexuals have the brain structure of the opposite sex to that which we were born with.

But, a lot of the behaviour differences could be the fault of cultural gender roles as well.

3. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think like a horny gay teen, ass, dick, cute guys all day, everyday making me horny all the time.

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think my mind is almost equally bi-gendered....

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope I don't take gender into account when I think. I don't think my gender influences how I think at all. I also don't think it has much effect on what I do, aside from complying to norms in terms of dress and certain socially conditioned actions (letting women go through a door first, and I tend to tread women more delicately than other men, and as you said, may be more protective, which may just be more sexist). In fact, I don't even believe I have a mental gender other than my biological sex and socially conditioned expressions of my biological sex. If I transformed completely into a biological female right now I don't imagine I'd think of feel too different/weird; it would be an adjustment but I could probably just begin acting more feminine in terms of social norms. It could be nice-- more guys available yay! I'm sure I am underestimating it though. However, I don't think it would change the way I think or feel, aside from possible hormones affecting how I feel, and then conforming to what society expects for a female, to a degree. I'd miss my penis probably though! Gender isn't that important to me, which is why I find transgenderism hard to believe sometimes. And note, that not trying to be offensive, just honest. I try to understand, and either way I don't really care people can do as they please!

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2015 at 11:41 AM ----------

Science proves nothing; only suggests one way or another! (Any science majors empathize with my hatred of the word "prove"??)

#5 Austin, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's strange. I don't think I've ever consciously "gendered" my thoughts and hobbies. Like, I enjoy video games, but have never thought it was something only guys could or should do. Now, socialization is another thing, and I learned from an early age that there were acceptable and unacceptable actions for men and women. I paid a lot of attention to how boys and girls interacted with each other, the opposite sex, and alone, but it never really made sense to me on a deep level.

Same with being submissive: there are submissive men, women, and those who identify as neither or both. It's frowned upon for a male, or male bodied person, to bottom, but it feels a lot more true to me than doing the opposite.

It feels like I have the same concerns, goals, and values of those around me, but the way they're "arranged" throws people off, and they're unsure of how to categorize me.

7. AlamoCity

I think I should have clarified in my question. I think these questions are meant for those who may feel their thoughts, ideas, actions, or brain are gendered. I do believe much of how we act and behave is guided by social norms. I think most people will probably say that their thoughts and thinking are "gender-less," while many actions will be guided by sociological factors.

8. CyanChachki

I guess I act like my mom more than my dad but it's pretty much a mix of both. My mom is pushy, speaks her mind and doesn't take people's crap. My dad is quite the opposite.

9. kingjabujabu

I'm a bit of both really. I have always been gender neutral, even as a kid. I loved playing with dolls but I also loved playing with the toy cars and those mats with the roads and stuff on them.

Sometimes my female friends leave me clueless :') But there is some femininity still in me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Ah, forgot to mention hormones. Hormones make a big difference in the way people feel emotions.

For instance, adult females cry more than adult males, children cry about the same amount regardless of sex.

There have also been reports of trans women getting more emotional with estrogen, and trans men getting less emotional with testosterone.

But of course we have to take in account that not everyone is the same, and cannot expect every person to fit so neatly into their gender's behaviour.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This is an interesting question, considering... well... my situation.

I adopted a masculine lean, for practically all of my life. Not so much in wanting to play sports, but in approach to life. It was the most effective way of getting through life, and it worked, so why change it? I never really had the opportunity to relax, look at myself, and see how I was feeling underneath all my thoughts and emotions.

I wouldn't say I "think" like either a man or woman. I simply "think" in the way that, considering my upbringing and individual intelligent development, allows me to. If you asked me to pick and choose what thoughts or actions were "masculine" or "feminine", I could do it based on societal expectations; but personally, I don't see that distinction -- it's a thought or an action, that is a possibility for anybody. Tacking gender exclusivity on seems kind of silly, but that's just me.

However, all of that said, there is a conundrum for some of us trans-folk...

We almost have to embrace that stereotypical thinking and acting, because we would much rather prefer to pass. If we break away from that mold, we're considered freaks at worst, or a man/woman... that used to be a woman/man... at best. Cisgender individuals who embrace their sex, they can wander off into different styles of dress and behaviors -- but still be perceived as whatever sex they are. Many of us trans-folk, we don't always get that luxury. We have to do this, as it is, sadly many times, our best chance at being accepted as the gender we desire/prefer.

It's a hard road for us lgbT.

12. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

^Some, but not all.

I've always been the way I am, thought the way I do. Not to pass, but just because that is who I am.

13. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been told I think like a woman and I've been told I think like a man. I think the "female" side is more prominent, but I haven't given much thought. More often, I've been told I think weird, for either gender. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. the haunted

This is me STILL not understanding the concept of gender. Sigh.

I can never wrap my mind around WHY and HOW our actions, thought process, mannerisms, ect. need to be gendered? I mean who decides what's a manly characteristic and whats a womanly characteristic? Aren't those just stereotypes?

If someone could explain this to me once and for all, I will be eternally grateful.

#14 the haunted, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  15. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Imagine you play a role.
    Now you would say, ok, I play this person but I'm still the same.
    But this is not the case.
    imagine being a man. This would mean more rational/logical thinking, less emotional. Also possibly more assertive.
    Imagine being a woman. This would mean more emotional and intuitive thinking. Also possibly more laid back.
    Its like a different being.
    Hormones amplify this.
    By the way, there are even differences in language, which can be a source of misunderstanding. There are different things meant.
    There is even a book on that, men are from mars, women from venus.
    If you're transgender, (or gay, I'd say its kind of an individual spectrum ) you might be able to switch between those (at least I am... and this is imo one of the reasons why trans and gay people were/are traditionally used as go betweens in other cultures ).

16. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    See, I tend to be laid back and intuitive, but I'm still a guy. I think a lot of gendered "thinking" is pulled from cultural mores and social cues.

Or, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe T will amplify some of my traits and diminish others. I dunno. All that really matters is that I feel I am the gender I am, and it's not equivalent to my birth sex.

17. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I guess if I were to really look back and nit-pick I could say that I'm emotionally distant/cold because it's masculine or I want to be a parent/teacher/counsellor because it's feminine. I don't think that way about most things though. And my actual thoughts aren't gendered in that, I don't even know how to describe this, I don't think in a certain way to force a gender or to try to validate my gender. There are certain things, to pass as Kaiser said, that I am aware of in my thinking, but that's more pertaining to an awareness of my body language than thoughts.

I'm not even sure I understand the question. I don't know.

18. tulman

There are always exceptions but I think men are generally more practical and rational. Women tend to base their actions more on emotions.

19. soulcatcher

Our behaviour almost certainly has a biological basis.

20. Zombi3

"Be a man.. If you were a REAL man... Stop being a girl..." ETC

All these sayings have started to annoy me.. Because to me everyone is equal, but majority of people are so.. one sided.