1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Identity questions.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Oct 29, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

This is more or less for someone who identifies as MTF or FTM Transgender or Genderqueer, or anyone else in and around that same concept.

How did you know that you were? Like, how do you know that you're not just a butch girl or a femenine boy?

Did you always know for sure, or was it gradual?

What would you tell someone who isnt too sure of themselves?

Ive been having gender-confusion issues for a while, and im not sure what to do about it :/

2. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I thought that a transexual person would usually be quite sure that they feel uncomfortable in their current body. Otherwise, you're just a masculine girl / feminine boy. But I could be quite wrong about that.

3. kh23172

I'm so lost... vagina = girl, penis = boy. I think. :astonished:

4. Level N Human

I think there is a large difference between a butch girl and a man.

If they were similar it wouldn't sound strange to ask how a man knows he's not a butch girl.

And also the vice versa for a feminine boy and a woman.

5. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

I really wish there were some MTF or FTM people on this discussion. I'm curious about these issues.

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Yes, I would be very interested to hear a trans-identified person's views. Because I have never really understand how/why you would identify as trans rather than simply being gender-non-conforming.

7. Bunny

Um. I know I probably shouldn't bring a dead thread back to life, but...I noticed a definite lack of actual transpeople replying. xD So I'll give it my best shot. Excuse my crappy formatting.

I didn't know. For the longest time, I was just...well, gender didn't really mean much to me (though if I think back to when I was younger, even then I pretended to be a boy and it just felt right). But then when I got older and spent more time online, I met some really cool gay guys and realized that I wanted that. I didn't just want to be with a guy, I wanted to be one too. Female didn't work for me.
    But I didn't know that it was possible to change, so I just became more depressed without really knowing why.
    Then one day I came across a post on PostSecret (or some variation of it) of someone claiming to be 'FtM', so I looked it up, and thought, "Oh. This is me. o-o" and the rest is history?

I don't know what to tell you other than that, really. I'm still confused, too. Sometimes I doubt myself and wonder if it would really be that bad to just be female. I mean I like guys anyway, right? Oh well. There's my experience, dunno if it's helpful at all. :\

8. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My partner came out to me as being transgendered. It was a very long process for her and to this day she is still not sure if she wants to identify as a man or woman with a strong male identity. I think it`s not easy and it could be very confusing.

But I think if you are trans than you just know. You know your in the wrong body and things just don`t feel right. What to do about that is the confusing part cause there`s so many factors involved (money, family, etc).

9. Bunny

But the thing is, not everyone just 'knows'. I mean, there are different levels of gender dysphoria. I didn't even think there was anything wrong 'til I hit puberty.

10. san tighty

hey, i know this is an old thread, but i'm new to the site and i just found this. but there's this person on youtube who is genderqueer and talks about that issue a lot. i think you'd find it interesting. here's the page: http://www.youtube.com/user/ss713