1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay vs Iran vs Transsexuals

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kenko, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was at a party with some of my uni friends, and someone who is extremely intelligent, generally well versed in politics, and fairly liberal, mentioned that Iran had a near 0% gay population because they have free sex change operations.

I don't know if he was serious, if he was being sarcastic, or if he was trolling, but I was kind of appalled. I didn't say anything at the time because I didn't want to raise suspicions, but I would find it hard to believe that he would believe that.

Not to be disparaging to transsexual folk for which this is wonderful, but personally I have absolutely no interest in being a woman, and I do not see how this could "fix" my "problem" whatsoever.

So then I researched it some more. Apparently many gays and lesbians in Iran go through with gender reassignment surgery to avoid prosecution because homosexuality is a crime punishable by death.

Here's some background information:
    http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2008/08/26/f-homosexuality-iran-sex-change.html

This almost makes me sick to my stomach. As it is I have enough mental agony dealing with being a sexuality considered outside the norm, while still being satisfied of being a male. I just can't imagine taking that, and being forced to change to a gender that I DON'T identify with. I would much rather live the rest of my life alone in the closet then go through with that.

It in some ways reminds me of the tragic story of Bruce/ Brenda / David Reimer

2. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I saw a documentary about this. Because being gay is illegal, lots of gay Iranians go through sex change operations which they don't really want, just so they can have same-sex relationships. It's horrible and so sad.

3. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The lack of rights in Iran makes me absolutely sick. In this one documentary I was watching on the topic this man was raped by another guy and the police refused to do anything and said it was 'his problem' because it was gay rape. WTF!?

And then there were those two 18 year olds killed because they were in a relationship together. They were hung in a crowded street and paraded around for everyone to gawk at. :frowning2: