1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience with a drunk person

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Jan 24, 2015.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Hi guys :slight_smile:

I would like to share an incident that happened in the past. I was in my teens (15 years old). I was waiting to meet my friend at an isolated place to catch a late night movie in a nearby cinema. (It was about 12 am.) I was approached by this middle-aged man. He was reeking of alcohol so i understood he was drunk. He kept pestering me to give him money for him to take a cab home. At one point, he grabbed my arm forcefully. I was a weakling and I was afraid he might harm me. So, I gave him $2 and lied that I don't have enough money. Luckily, my friend came there at that point and I pushed the drunk man away and ran towards him. I felt safe with him because my friend is a brave person.

That incident kind of affected me quite badly because I stopped going out late at night fearing I might face a similar situation again. Nowadays, I come back home by 9.30 pm latest. Also, whenever I face drunk people in public, I get reminded of this incident and start to freak out and get anxious, fearing they might harm me again. This is partly why I avoid going to pubs or bars.

Do you think my fear is irrational? What can I do to overcome this fear?

2. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You'll always bump into a drunk idiot every now and again on a night out. I doubt there's many people who haven't encountered one in some way or another. Don't let that stop you from having a good time. Of course if you're out late It's best not to be on your own, If you're in a group the obnoxious drunks are more likely to leave you alone.
    If I was in your situation, I'd try stay out till about 10 pm on one night and then If that goes well, Over a few times I'd gradually stay out later and later until I overcame the fear.

3. soag

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think it's an irrational fear. Of course it could happen again, but even if it does, it won't have happened a ton of other times. Like Shaded said, I would start small. Stay out a little later each night until you realize it's ok. And you can greatly lower the risk of it happening by staying close to a group of friends. Even if it does happen again, should that keep you from having fun all the other times?

4. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drunk people... most of my experiences with drunk people. Either, they are loopy and having a friendly time. Or totally stupid. Or assholes. Or abusive. And the final two are those I seem to run into. And the assholes and the abusive drunks are the ones I wish to be gone from the planet.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's part of why it's important to learn self-defense. I'm not advocating you should have thrown him to the ground and curb-stomped him, but it would have probably saved you $2 if you were confident in your ability to stop him from hurting you should he have tried.

Avoiding being out and about at late hours is not an irrational practice though. The dark is kind to people who don't want to be seen.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a night owl, and go out a good deal in Baltimore, so I think I've more or less built up an immunity to drunk people. I find they can be more annoying than scary; it's easy to run from somebody who keeps swaying about, and stumbling to the ground!

But I'm sad that had to happen, and hope you can gradually build up more confidence. I love night-life: seeing live music, films, going out to eat, coffee-shops, wine bars, cozy little taverns, various parties...I seem to come into my element at night.

7. Lazuri

Drunk people in general are fairly easily defended against. Even people with very little martial prowess can fight of a lone drunk. Chances are he'll floor himself. Groups are dangerous, but not lone people unless you suspect they're armed.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on a lot of things of course, but mostly how drunk someone is vs. how well the hold their drink and their own fighting ability. A liquored-up country boy could still be a pitbull if he's bent on hurting somebody.

9. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any tips on walking during the night when you are a weak person?

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Hire me.

Lol.

11. Pine

Pine Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't like drinking. Some people are okay, but others just lose it and it's not worth finding out.

12. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

thanks for your replies friends :slight_smile: will start working on it :slight_smile:

13. MisterTinkles

Well, thats not irrational at all, but thats sad that you allowed this one moron to scare you so bad you don't go out at night.

To help get over this, you should find a place you like (bar, club, movie theater, mall...whatever) and "trace it" in the daylight. And by that, I mean you need to find a well lit path, that will have enough traffic (street or sidewalk) on it to help keep you from feeling alone. Go out once or twice a month, and then gradually work your way up to once a week.

What you need to remember:

You aren't going to meet a drunk every time you go out at night. This was probably a rare occurrence.

Keeping in well lit, well trafficked areas will help you with keeping away from people like this.

Learn the hours the stores and shops on your path will be open. Learn where there are safe places to go into late at night.

Learn the signs of "drunk"...they can help you see a drunk coming in your direction, and you can walk into a store or a shop, or walk across the street, in order to avoid any possible confrontations.

What you CAN do in order to get away, IF anything ever happens again:

Tell them clearly and loudly (dont scream though) that you do not have any money, or dont know where their car is....or whatever they are asking of you. Then walk away, dont stop for anything else they say. If there are other people on the street, walk fast enough to get other people between you and them.

If they grab you, yell "LET ME GO" (now you can scream). If they do not let you go, you can do one of these things:
    Shove them hard and run....try NOT to shove them into the street though.
    Stomp on their toes and run.
    Kick him in the nuts and run.
    Twist yourself free and run.
    Keep some pennies in your pocket, so if they have a strong grip and dont let go, throw some pennies behind them and yell "THERES YOUR MONEY", then run when they turn around to look.
    Keep one of those mini pepper sprays on your keychain or in your pocket, where you can easily get to it.

I went to bars and clubs for years and years. And I have only had to deal with ONE drunk in all that time. He was sitting on a stool in this bar and I was walking by. He tugged at my shirt sleeve as I walked past him and he said "Where did you go? I have been waiting for you".

I told him he was mistaken, and I tried to walk away, but he moved to try and jump off his stool and almost fell down, but he got back on his stool. He said something else, which I didn't understand....I told him he had the wrong person and I walked off.
    That was that.

After thinking about it.......I kinda felt sorry for the guy. He was pretty nice looking and seemed like he was stood up. I could have very easily taken advantage of that situation, but Im not that kind of person. I hope he got home ok.

Anyway.............out of the ***cough, cough*** thirty something years I went to bars and clubs, thats the ONLY time I ever dealt with a drunk.

A fun way on how to learn to deal with drunks if you go to bars and clubs..........ask a drag queen!!! LOL

I don't know where you live, but in some big cities a lot of cab companies will give free rides home to drunks, so they dont drive drunk home. You might find out if there are any of these cab companies in your area......keep the phone number on your phone.
    If you ever get asked by a drunk for money home......just tell him to sit down and wait for a cab, you will call a free one for them. Call the cab and walk away. Make sure the person is sitting in a well lit and safe place for the cab to find them.

The one thing you need to always remember when dealing with a drunk.........they are easily distracted.

But as I said, this was probably a RARE occurrence.

If you really have a problem with being out at night, even after trying a few times, have a friend go with you each time.

14. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  15. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ... And slow.

16. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nice advice Sparkles.

It would be too off-topic if i ask how do you guys deal with non-drunk, but agressive people? How do you react (or not react) if someone assaults you in the middle of night, asking for your money or simply attacking you?

17. AAASAS

It's irrational in this sense, drunk people can be dangerous, but basically only dangerous people to begin with are dangerous drunks.

You had an experience with a sketch bag, and he is a sketch bag drunk or not, when you are drunk your inhibitions leave, and most peoples inhibitions are simple things like wearing clothes, hitting on new people, having new sexual consenting experiences, being silly, getting dirty, very very simple harmless stuff.

This guy has the ability to force someone into giving them money and harm them, it's just a part of him. THe alcohol made that come out in him.

So ya it's ok to be wary, but understand you should be wary of all strangers to begin with, most people are fine and won't do harm, but the odd one is a bit of a nut job.

So your fear is rational based on your experience and knowledge but it's not justified because based on that, I should be afraid to go to bars, everyone should be afraid to go to bars or be around drunk people.

Unless you think you were being specifically targetted or that there was something about you that made people do that, which is ridiculous. You may give the vibe that you won't put up a fight, but only psychos will select you, and psychos will select anyone to antagonize, so again there isn't anything to be afraid of at all.

18. Morrisome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You may have a mild case of PTSD. Talk to a professional, they may help.

19. SomeLeviathan

Pepper spray. I carry a can around town if I'm walking past some of the seedy bars at night just in case. I've never had to use it, but I've never had anyone grab me.

also as Morrisome said, you may be experiencing some sort of traumatic stress, definitely worth seeing a doctor if you can to get that worked out as soon as possible.

#19 SomeLeviathan, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  20. Illus1

Well I somewhat know what you are going through, yes learning self defense will help physically but the mental block is best left to a professional. I can handle drunk people physically but mentally it scares me like hell, my dad drank a lot when i was a child and there was well idk if I can call it abuse (it wasn't like sexual or anything) but there were many bad incidences, mental & some physical violence so when I see drunkards I'd get this irrational almost childlike fear and flashbacks (sorry for the thread hijack but just want to say I understand)