1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussing feminism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NingyoBroken, Jan 24, 2015.

1. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

My previous thread turned into this, so here's an actual feminism thread to move your discussion to.

2. lemons123

OK, it's great! Can't add more atm. :slight_smile: ...other people are more informed on it than me that's for sure.

3. Quiet Raven

They have done good things. Fighting for gender equality is a good thing, however, I hate the name.

"Feminism" puts the focus on women. But if they are fighting for equal rights for men as well, shouldn't the name imply that? I also think this name is inviting more of these "Rad feminists" or "feminazis" who want to overthrow men. And the name, along with these people are making many men (and even women) dislike feminists and/or the act.

Obviously, a different name won't make everything perfect. But I feel it will be better.

#3 Quiet Raven, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  4. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    By definition I'm a feminist. I just want equal right for everyone no matter what.
    The thing with this is that nowadays calling your self a feminist makes people think you are one of those SJW from tumblr who do nothing but bitch about how the patriarchy control everything or some crap like that.

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Its a name coming from a long history.

And all in all, there are fundamentalists in other groups, too.

It could be seen with less emotion and more common ground .

Since feminism seeks gender equality, it must necessarily include men's liberation because men are also harmed by sexism and gender roles.

This all ties in with fair sharing of resources, equal rights and transparent participation.
    All on a peaceful basis. "There is enough for everyones needs but not for everyones greed"

Which is a benefit for everyone.

Furthermore its imo a change from a materialistic view to a more inclusive, holistic view, where the intuitive/emotional part is integrated.

Its a very necessary part of the puzzle.

(*hug*)

#5 jay777, Jan 24, 2015
  6. SomeLeviathan

would you change the NAACP's name because it only focuses on people who aren't white and there are black supremacists?

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

^^ Same here. Or It's like hating the LGBT rights community because straight people also have unique issues and they aren't included in the acronym. And anyone could hate the majority of gay/bi/trans people if they based their perception on the community by people on Tumblr.

8. Lazuri

Personally I think most feminists have lost their way. They went from equality to matriarchal superiority which is just as bad a patriarchal superiority.

I'm all for social rights, but these Social Justice Warriors are really pissing me off. They make real problems look like jokes.

9. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree with Lazuri.

10. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm very surprised to hear the word "most" included.
    It seems like a general consensus to state something like that.
    Its definetly a steretype like all lesbians are butch.

There are women and men hard working to reach more benefits for single parents, educating young women on their rights especially in partnerships, and much more.

Its not all rosy out there, and those are real problems to real people.
    I find such statements condescending.

"Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies that share a common stated aim: to define, establish, and defend equal political, economic, cultural, and social rights for women."

This is the heart of the problem. People are not included in processes.
    This leads automatically to inequality and to decisions which do not have the best of interests of all people at heart.
    Instead of accepting that there is a real problem where people are not included in political and other processes, its an attitude of go play with your toys.

This is a marginalization of women.

11. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My female friend "I'm not a feminist because I don't really care about this stuff much and I wont kill to get my way and I think we have already improved heaps so its fine".

You should have seen my face, even most of our male friends are feminists because they can see that everything isn't equal as it should be.

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I also know a lot of straight girls who think feminism is not needed, but after realizing I was not made me realize how needed it still is in our society since nearly all homophobia is based on misogyny.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

14. Quiet Raven

"Hating the LGBT rights community"? Well I never said I hated feminists. Just the name.

And that is different. When it comes to orientation, LGBT really is, for the most part, the only ones discriminated against.
    Men are discriminated against very frequently as well, not just women. For example, half of the apartments (possibly more) in my city only take women. Very frustrating.
    Not trying to argue who has it worse or anything like that. All I'm saying is... Both are discriminated against in certain ways. By many people. But I never see someone be denied any kind of service just for being heterosexual or cis gender. That's the difference. The way I see it.

#14 Quiet Raven, Jan 24, 2015
  15. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah honestly I hear a lot of antifeminists claim this but never have I heard anything even remotely like this said by feminists.

As for the term feminism, it needs to remain as such because the continued persecution of women is still a problem. Women still have less institutional power, less economic power. It's not that men don't have problems, but even most of men's problems go back to old patriartical standards, such as the idea of men being the bread earners, the idea that a man being at all feminine makes them bad, the idea that women are inherently weak and men strong, the idea of a strict gender binary and gender roles. Feminism seeks to eliminate these gender roles, since most of them are based on the idea that women and femininity are inferior.
    Truth is, the worst thing you can call a man in our society is a woman or a gay man. The worst thing a man can be according to our society is similar to a woman.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was at least for a time known as one of EC's most prominent feminists, although I have retreated from discussing the field of topics on EC for a number of reasons:

1. Almost all men I have engaged with on this field of topics have painted me as evil and behaved as though I represent and believe every stupid argument they ever read on Tumblr.

2. Even when I have reminded these men that I don't hold the particular views they find objectionable (that most academic feminists, meaning, with published books, or regular paying positions at prominent blogs or news media websites don't hold by the way), they just explain it away as "I'm one of the few good feminists they know."

3. Almost all trans women have been distrustful of me from the moment that I say I'm a feminist, even though I'm regularly on the front lines of EC defending trans and genderqueer members against transphobia from the cisgender members. I resent this extremely.

4. A substantial minority of users on EC who discuss this field of topics think that "a lot of people post objectionable stuff like this on Tumblr, therefore most feminists think this way" is a way of proving what most feminists actually think. The level of emotional response is high, and the level of rational engagement on this field of topics is extremely low, and the level of independent research is extremely low.

5. I have better things to do with my time--like practice martial arts, shooting, and learning computer security so I can defend people in the real world--including, I might add, people like the ones who treat me poorly for my politics, than to listen to you guys dehumanizing me for what I believe, which happens to be based in real data, scientific studies, and a considerable range of personal anecdotes from my own and others' experiences.

Adrienne

#16 Pret Allez, Jan 24, 2015
  17. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

What I mean is that Feminism is exclusive to women in the name alone because women were originally oppressed, although these days we fight for the rights of both genders. LGBT for the same reason doesn't include 'S for straights' so it could still be seen as promoting straight hate when we get father in society.

While not real discrimination to the degree of hatred and being homeless, straight people also suffer for similar reasons that the LGBT community is fighting against which has to do with ridiculous gender standards. Unlike gay relationships, which are almost always equal; straight people are held to HIGHLY strict standards that they are forced to conform to or else they're seen as gay, or told to take therapy. Sex for example, if a gay guy hates anal sex "It's normal, you don't have to do it, there's more to sex than that" but straight culture only defines sex as PiV, so if you're straight and dislike PiV you're a mentally disturbed abomination who needs therapy and will never find love. Many straight women are coerced and pressured into having sex they don't want in order to keep up the 'It's just what straight girls' do image and to defend their identity.

Gay people are also more encouraged to explore gender expression; while many gay men still hate on feminine guys the LGBT community is still more supportive. Feminine straight men are pretty much universally despised by their dating pool and forced into a gay label because "they aren't straight enough". They have to try harder to being unfeeling burly assholes just to been seen as hetero.

Power imbalances are much bigger in straight relationships and are more likely to have sexist double standards; in fact I know a lot of straight people with internalized heterophobia when they feel their desires are the opposite of what heteronormativity wants, they feel they cannot express themselves at all, that they will never find a willing opposite sex non-normative partner, and that they are even constantly attacked and abused because they aren't expressing their sexual identity 'properly'.

While you may agree most of this has to do with LGBT discrimination, since these belief against non-normative straight people is very closely linked with homophobia; the same applies to feminism. 90% of discrimination against men is based on misogyny. Whether a guy is too feminine, expresses his emotions, is attracted to men, enjoys being penetrated, is a rape or abuse victim and so on....these are situations that are linked with women. A guy in this situation is viewed 'Like a woman' and when women are oppressed and hated, it affects men the same exact way unless they conform to unrealistic masculine standards. Feminism should benefit men, even if some rad feminists are crazy; they aren't 'real' feminists.

18. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    About #3 the problem lies with TERFS. TERFS are trash, and fortunately not usually held up very high in feminist communities now, but in the '70s they were quite harmful to transwomen looking for a safe space. I feel it is my duty as an inclusionist feminist to call transphobia out when I see it, as is the job of every inclusionist feminist.
    About the whole tumblr thing though, even within tumblr most of the people you are complaining about are either A) troll blogs or B) not very well liked. They exist of course, but they are not all of tumblr.
    Feminism isn't a hive mind. Tumblr isn't a hive mind. Feminists taken seriously in the community will disagree with each other on certain issues. That's important to note.

19. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think what people also forget about Tumblr, is It's not just feminists that have bad attitudes there, It's everyone. To base your hate on Tumblr feminists is hypocritical, because any group is shit there. For example, if I based my worldview on Tumblr, I would have grown to absolutely hate bisexuals and transgender people in general. The bi people there told me I was in denial about my sexuality, that monosexuals are close-minded, that I should learn to love men for who they are. I've had trans women send me hate and death threats for being cis alone or joking that I would never touch a penis (Even though I agree that women can have them and I don't support a TERF mindset). Obviously I do not hate bi or trans people whatsoever, but It's just an example of how toxic the website is alone so of course you're going to meet horrible and TERFy feminists there just like the LGBT community on tumblr is an entire shithole as well.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm aware of that; however, as mentioned, I've also been known as defender of ECs trans community as well. So it's frustrating to still have people saying they don't trust femininists, despite the fact that I'm genderqueer myself and someone who sticks her neck out for them, and some of those members have seen me do it.

I hope I don't seem dismissive here, but I don't care about a single political view expressed on Tumblr, even if it agrees with my point of view. My reason is simple: anybody can go and create a blog on Tumblr. On the other hand, not everybody can work for Feministing. Not everybody can work for Jezebel.

I listen to professional femininsts. The ones who write books and have studied the topics of discrimination and violence through the accepted methods of academic research.

I don't think Tumblr is without value. Because it's open to everyone, people are able to come on and write about their experiences. Some of these may be fake or real but exaggerated, but I think in the main, people are authentic, and I can trust those are people's real experiences. However, I think that's the important value to place on Tumblr. It's where people talk about their experiences. But it's not a place we should look to on deciding what just social policy should be or even how to build social movements for liberation.