1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genetics: will parents be able to choose the sexual orientation of their child?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Jan 24, 2015.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There seems to more and more evidence that one's sexual orientation is decided by genes, of perhaps other chemicals while in the womb. If this is the case, it seems like one day, there could be a way to thus alter the genetic sequence and/or modify other factors, to cause children to be born straight, gay, or perhaps bisexual. (Though I'm less certain on what studies have been done specifically linking bisexuality to genetic factors, though it would seem to make sense that a similar role is played)

What do people think about this? Does it seem possible in the future? What about the ethical implications?

To me, I find the idea of tampering with such things frightening, and can see many ways they could go wrong, and increase division and drive an us/them sort of world. And even in general, I find the idea of genetically modified humans frightening...especially as only those with money would be able to so, thus leading to even greater inequality. Well, in any event, it seems like at least 10,000 things could go wrong...

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I hope this, or anything to do with making a genetically customised human being, is never possible.

It would only make humankind more conformity driven than it already is.

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Terrible idea.

4. Stripe101

Yes let's take everyone's randomized uniqueness and standardize it.

[​IMG]

5. Tardis2020

At some point we'll be able to manipulate the genes of our chosen egg/sperm cells, fertilize IV, and then pop out our customized baby 9 months later. Ethically, the only things we should really manipulate are genetic disorders, ie: eliminating gametes with alleles for sickle cell, tay-sachs, etc. But some could consider predispostions as disorders and next thing you know, everyone is having children with identical behaviors.

These are definitely things we'll be dealing with eventually. I give it 30 years before it happens, maybe less.

6. Yeety

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This shouldn't be done, nature should take over when it comes to this.

7. Manitoban

I think it is something that will be able to be done in my lifetime. However I don't think governments(save military applications) would allow it to happen. At least in the west. I see a scenario where the LGBT rights movement and the Catholics would actually become allies in that scenario.

The bigger concern for me is states like China where the government would want to stymie all sorts of things, including people who might be more extroverted and prone to talking a stand on things against the government. Or India where being a male is far more preferable. And of course the rich who despite nationality would do stuff like removing LGBT and other genes because they could because of their wealth.

Bottom line I don't think this is an issue governments are willing to confront yet. We certainly live in interesting times.

8. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    agreed

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First of all isn't that kind of breaking government code that uh "everyone has the right to be themselves?" That's why they don't do Brian transplants. I don't see that ever happening unless the US becomes communism which I could unfortunately see happening, then if the government starts changing all lgbt rights where gay marriage is banned in every state and is illegal is possible but I doubt that will happen.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my view, eugenics should only be used for the prevention of predisposition to serious illnesses.

The problem with many branches of science is that the public can be enamoured with the progress of discoveries before the ethical issues and consequent putting in place of legal limitations are completely or even partially covered. If it goes too quickly or the development is kept quiet and can't be judged from a broader view, we can be presented with complex science before being able to comprehensively evaluate the social and political consequences of the application and the more abstract philosophical implications. Quite obviously, a lot of damage could be done by knowing how to genetically influence sexuality without being compassionate and ethical.

As it stands, there's no absolute knowledge as to what causes sexuality to develop as it does, anyway. Exactly how genetic engineering could influence sexuality isn't entirely certain at this point.

11. Tardis2020

Unfortunately, it's very likely, and already possible on a much smaller scale (prokaryotes). Once we gain a better understanding of the function of all our genes we can do it with some difficulty, give it some time and we'll be doing by the million.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really hope you're joking. It would be quite painful to think that you genuinely believe what you've just written.

First of all, you've oversimplified the idea of individual rights in a way that makes me doubt a constructive conversation could come out of that. Second, the reason brain transplants are not done is because they're considered medically impossible. Third, genetic engineering and communism do not share a direct link and your line of thinking there is absolutely bizarre.

13. Lipstick Leuger

Since any type of medical testing is never 100% accurate, this is a needless concern. Some would still slip through. Besides, they can't even determine how gay happens, so they can hardly stop it.

Once they can determine it, our society will probably be so far to acceptance, that no one will give two shits if their kid is gay. (I give it at least 25 years) Aside from the cost of getting genetic testing, no insurance will cover it, as the cost is outrageous.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, the right is not implicated in that way at all. If parents are through genetic counseling deciding to have or not have children, there is no right of the child that has been implicated yet in the say the state or you and I have any right to complain a single thing about.

The US will never "become communism" because the culture of its people will prevent that. Unfortunately, the culture of its people prevents a lot of good things too.

With the houses of Congress always being sharply divided and on balancing on the head of a pin, and with the Oval Office swinging parties about every four to eight years, and with near convergence of the party's views on macroeconomic policy, how do you envision that happening?

Andrew, the government would have to grant the rights before taking them away. While I'm loathe to pull age on other people, since it seems like a low blow, I can readily recall when the political conditions for people like you and I were different. From your vantage point, it may seem like even though marriage equality is not a reality throughout all the states, we live in a wonderful time of LGBT bliss. We don't. Transgender people kill themselves on a regular basis, get raped at colleges, and the administration openly doesn't care (and sexual assault forensics kits are not used to collect evidence from them), get fired from their jobs, and there's legal recourse on that basis in less than half of states. Even when the marriage equality battle is won nation-wide, we still have positive steps needing to be made in terms of employment non-discrimination (and ENDA continues to be shot down in Congress).

We need to continue to fight for rights, not pretend as though all political struggle is over, and only a descent into the United Soviet States of America is a candidate way for LGBT rights to be lost.

15. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's like cloning; it's morally wrong, and possess a lot of risks because how the body works together. When you change a certain part of a gene, as some of you may have learned in genetics, it may change the whole make up of a gene, which sometimes is not a good thing.

Centuries ago we thought that cloning would be impossible, but Dolly was the first successful clone, but died very young.

There's a risk in everything when it comes to our choice, so sometimes it's better to leave it for someone else to do.

#15 Jax12, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  16. Andronas

I hope it never happens.

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well that was judgmental :dry:

18. antibinary

I really hope that this doesn't happen.

19. RemakeJake

My goodness, that is a terrifying thought. Though we LGBT people are a minority, 'modifying' people to be straight would have implications, one of them possibly being overpopulation due to more people being able to reproduce per their sexual attraction.

20. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone