1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you feel life is passing you by?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joelouis, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Joelouis

Over the last few days, I've been looking back at some of my friends that I've not seen for a few years. Most of them I've known since school, but were close to all of them.
    I moved out of my home town and gradually lost touch with them over time.

I notice nearly all of them are now married, and have kids of their own.
    Obviously I am truly happy to see them doing well in life, but I suddenly felt nauseous and to an extent, sad. Now my closest friend has announced he and his girlfriend are expecting their first child.

I then remembered my last day at school quite vividly. As we were walking down the corridor, I realised I'd left my bag in the classroom so went back to get it.
    The feeling I got when I stood in that quiet, empty classroom made me feel alone and panicky. Maybe because it was the end of a chapter in my life. I don't know.

Does anyone else feel as if they are missing out on life?

2. i used to.
    everyone if not all of my 'friends' have left in some way. most through uni and gaining new friends so they dont see me anymore, and others mostly from getting married and having babies e,t,c so they dont see me anymore either due to it. life did get me down but i did something about it and did the things i wanted to do rather than waiting for someone to do it with, i would still be sitting here on my floor today still waiting if i did that haha. you dont get through life by waiting you get through it by doing stuff lol.

i know what i want to do, and i travel a alot when i can. do more of what makes you happy then life wont feel so.... like its passing you by cuz youll be too happy and enjoying life to worry about it.

yeah i do sometimes think 'omg im the only one who isnt married/in a relationship/ having a baby' but honestly my time will come im sure.

i knwo the feeling though

3. Vesper

I feel that way all the time. It seems everyone I know is advancing in life and I'm in suspended animation.

4. Joelouis

Yes, that's exactly how it feels.

5. CyanChachki

Yes, totally. Everyone I know is off doing something amazing and cool and I'm here doing basically nothing to progress my life forward.

6. Amerigo

being on this forum only exacerbates these same thoughts i have

i still think this is a wonderful place :slight_smile:

7. Romi

I think that this is a pretty common way to feel. It can come and go, or it can linger in the most dreadful of ways. And yeah, I'm right there with you all.

---------- Post added 24th Jan 2015 at 08:52 PM ----------

Okay, I'm just gonna be honest. It's this song.

8. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You guys are not alone, I feel exactly the same way. :icon_sad:

9. stimpacks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm feeling like that right now. I recently (like 5 min ago) saw pictures of my old friend. We were in the military together, and now he is doing so well for himself. He's traveling and doing all this cool stuff. But I'm doing pretty good for myself when I think of it. I need to quit comparing myself to other people

10. Burnedcloset

I really really feel this way all the time. I want a chance to actually experience my life. My teenage years are almost over and I haven't done anything yet. It feels like by the time my life advances I will be really old. This is all due to being held back though. If it was up to me I think I would be doing more.

11. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've definitely felt this way before. Last year it was my primary state. I don't get it too badly in terms of what are my old friends up to because, despite the fact that some are married with children, I have the most education and have started on a career path I actually really enjoy. I was always getting hung up on not reaching my goals yet. Best way to beat that is to do something related to those goals (for example I started volunteering).

12. lostluvr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ive felt like that so often..especially when im on facebook or sumthing and i see pics of them and they look all happy and stuff with their sign. others and/or kids then i look down in myself and i feel really empty and lonely cuz im still the same and really i havent done much with myself..this one girl i really liked was 21 she actually said to me when we were talking about the future of our individual lives she said "not to be mean but arnt u 25 and dont have shit yet" it made me feel like the biggest piece of shit but then i reflected on my life and i realized i may not have material gains to show for all my years but i did do alot of living and learning..i mean deep down even tho i dont have anything to show i guess im ok with letting go of the time that passed me by..i used to try to cling to it feeling really sad becuz it was passing me by..but now i guess i just feel like i can make the best of myself and my time day by day instead of worrying so much about my future..heres a thought i thought of one day when i felt that saddness of growing older that brought me alot of comfort and not so empty and alone: its not just me thats growing old the whole worlds growing old...everybody we know is growing old with us even the world itself.. :slight_smile: hope that helps sumone..and if it dont u can always look at the other people u went to skool with how many got fat or sumthing lol..theres always sumbody doing better and sumbody worse off than we are..

13. treatmeright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Lately this is exactly how I feel and it couse me to shrunk and isolate myself from everyone even more.

14. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Sometimes. I just feel like I'm not accomplishing anything, and I feel like I should be further ahead in my career path and stuff then this.

15. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Absolutely. Almost all the people I know (that are my age) are in long-term relationships or getting married. And here I am: never dated anyone due to fear of what others will think or say.

16. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyday. I feel like everybody just went up and left me behind. *sigh* 23, not married. Most of my friends I graduated high school with have families, or have good jobs. I've tried to catch up. But it's a lot harder than it looks.

And don't get me started on technology. Jeez, I don't have a smart phone or anything fancy. Just a crappy keypad LG phone. People are all talking about apps and stuff. Hell, I got an ipod for Christmas... one of them new ones, I had to have my mom help me with it. Let me stick to games, dvd players and VCRs for god's sake.

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

[​IMG]

Sometimes... I'll be honest.

But I've come to realize, it's a lot worse to allow life to pass you by -- and to do nothing, but to watch it go by. By no means is taking a break bad, it can allow you to collect your thoughts and compose yourself, which is essential for moving forward. By all means, indulge in rest and leisure, but know when to get back into the game.

You can't win, if you don't play. If you don't play, you will always lose.

It's natural to want to compare yourself, and everything about you, with others. Jobs, significant others, education, looks, weight, health, and so on and so forth. In a small amount, it can be a healthy dose of motivation to improve, but just as easily it can be a toxic dose of self-destruction. What one has to accept is, life isn't fair, but that doesn't mean those who have it all, actually do.

Their problems are just different. With fame, for example, you lose a great deal of privacy. You also become easier noticed, thus judged. For anybody with societal issues, this would be extremely horrific. With money, for another example, you have to always be on your toes about who is there for you, or who is simply there for what your wealth allows them accessibility to. Again, for the easily emotional, this could be extremely horrific to go through. And so on and so forth.

Life is going to pass by, whether you acknowledge or want it to. Time is cruel, but fair; it simply goes on, no matter who you are. None of us have the power to control time, we simply have the ability to make use of it. It isn't an easy thought to grasp, because it forces me to acknowledge powerlessness, but I will die one day -- just like everybody else. In this way, death is the great equalizer. In the meantime, though, I would rather do what I can, for who I can, and to see how far along I'll progress. If it gets me to the top, fantastic, but if it only concludes with having one person believe in themselves, that is an acceptable alternative.

Sometimes, folks strive for too much too quickly, and when their actions don't move as fast as their desires, it can be a harsh blow to them. You have to pace yourself, accept that some days you'll move only an inch, and others you may move several feet. It's in learning from those frustrations and setbacks that you will cherish those celebrations and results, and learn why you want/need those things you seek out. In learning yourself, from your skin's surface to your vulnerable core, you begin to dramatically improve your life, because you now involve yourself with what you need, as opposed to what you want -- a difficult, but essential difference one needs to learn, I believe.

At the end of the day, this is what it boils down to for me:

I may not be remembered by the world, but I won't be forgettable either.

That is the most bare-bones goal of mine in this life, and I'll see that through at least. I may not have statues erected to me, to stand for decades or even centuries, but I'll leave an impression on those who matter to me, allowing them to carry that sense of purpose with them, and perhaps instill it into others.

#17 Kaiser, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  18. Psaurus918

Yup. I feel like hiding the secret of being gay for so long has thrown me into a hole of depression thats next to impossible to get out and makes it hard to concentrate on anything else and days and weeks go by and it just makes it worse

19. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know how you feel because I'm at an age where I see younger people than me further advanced than I am. 35 and still with dad. I think there is a word for that. Looser

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, frequently. Hardly anyone is where they feel they should be at any moment. I've had three careers fail to launch (but I'm not giving up on the third just yet) and feel like I may never make it.

But then I remember how freaking great I have it as well. Even if I'm not chilling in a yacht off the coast of Montenegro at the moment, I have had a great life and I see no reason that I shouldn't continue to grow alongside people I love. Who else gets to say they have routinely been swept off their feet by the majesty present all around? Not a lot of people I'm guessing, and I feel blessed. <3