1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things that YOU endured that straights don't have to.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SonicBoom, Jan 24, 2015.

1. SonicBoom

Please share your PERSONAL stories of the things that you endured that straight (whom are secure in their orientation )people don't have to.

For me personally, I grew up in a Catholic household. I was taught all my life that homosexuality was wrong.

I was teased a fair amount for acting effeminate growing up.

Some people discriminate against me and don't want anything to do because I'm gay.

Some people also talk behind my back because of my orientation.

I've lost some friends when they found out I am gay.

These are all PERSONAL struggles that I endured that straights don't have to deal with.

How about you?

#1 SonicBoom, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have lost employment over this presumption. I was hired "passing," so I didn't get grilled on hobbies, knowledge of sports, marital status, or any of that. When it turned out I didn't line up with their expectations, I was eased out the door. The circumstances would have been way too hard to deal with in terms of filing a suit, getting the witnesses to testify against them, and stuff like that. I seriously thought about it, but I weighed the situation.

3. ANewDawn

Every Friday night my dad says a prayer out loud that i should marry a man that God chooses for me and be able to give him lots of kids.

4. Formality

Shiet, that sounds terrible :frowning2: I'd tell him to go fuck himself, but that's just me, and this is bad advice.:love:

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Other than actual homophobic hate, straight female friends of mine aren't forced into liking women, told they should get raped to 'cure' their desire for men, told that if they sleep with a man It's not a big deal and 'doesn't count', told that if they experiment with women It's a huge deal that changes their sexuality and life, asked to explain why they don't like vagina, asked if they were traumatized by vagina, and constantly have to defend who they are on a daily basis.

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

How hard it is to flirt with hot guys. If you're not sure they're gay or not, you could end up being thought of as a creep or something if they end up being straight!

And, on a more serious note, being a gay transsexual, others tend to say "if you like guys, why not stay girl?"
    *facepalm*

I've seen cis gay guys get a similar thing too, some people think if you like guys you must automatically want to be a woman.

7. Randomcloud

I'd consider myself a femme lesbian (I usually feel most comfortable dressing feminine) and because of this, a lot of straight "friends" feel like they can make the judgment that I'm "not really a lesbian" or "just experimenting" despite the fact that my identity is MY identity and I've never had feelings for a guy ever in my life at all. Lol...
    Even some people in the LGBT+ community have not taken me seriously and assumed I'm just a confused straight girl because I don't fit the stereotypes. Nice.

On the other hand, when I sometimes feel like dressing more butch, I notice that people (eg. shopkeepers) are more kind of cold and unfriendly towards me :S

8. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Getting the shit beat out of me for liking the same gender. Having a rock thrown through my apartment window with a duct taped message that said "faggot" on it. I got them back. I know who did. Slashed their tires.

I'm pretty sure that vandalism and beat up has happened to everybody. But for simply liking the same gender? Maybe I should do the same shit because they prefer the opposite gender. See how they like it. You know what, forget I said anything. I'm just looking for a reason to have a war with those who hate me.

9. SonicBoom

Thank you everyone for your responses.

10. ALiamToRemember

Being a bisexual trans guy, I've noticed that my straight cis friends don't have to deal with suicidal thoughts to do with their body or being in the wrong body, they don't have to deal with wanting to rip their bodies apart every second of every day, they don't have to deal with wanting to simply end their lives because it's another ten months until they have the slim possibilty that they can start hormone therapy from the minute they wake up to the minute they go to sleep.

They don't have to deal with people looking at them weirdly because they can't tell what gender they are, they don't have to deal with their family tripping over their words because they don't know what or who their darling little baby is anymore, they don't have to deal with having fake relationships with everyone who knows them, especially the homophobic nan and granddad who would disown them as soon as they knew.

It's bullshit - Trans people have the highest chance of killing themselves, we're told to wait because it will just get better, we just have to hold on, while damn cis and/or kids get almost immediate attention. I'm not saying we're better, I'm saying we need to be equal. Why is it so damn hard?

~Liam

11. Pie

Pie Guest

I don't usually go through much trouble because of my sexuality. A few of my friends know, I kind of hint at it every now and then so some people must suspect that I'm gay too.

There is just this ******* in my class that thinks being gay is a sin. I hate him. Other than that I'm pretty lucky to live where I live.

EDIT: If I were straight, life would be much easier though. I wouldn't feel depressed because I feel so alone and isolated.

#11 Pie, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  12. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm lectured on an almost daily basis my stepmom about my sexuality >.<