1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If a phone call comes in during dinner ....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ... what did the house you grew up in or currently live in do? (I'm referring to a call coming in, and not a text). Did your family and you take the call or not?

Our family took the calls. I take a call while eating dinner. I may move the food to where I can sit and talk, and excuse myself that they might hear some munching sounds. If there are guests present, then my family, and I, will call back and come through.

I sort of think it's rude when you call someone in the middle of the week, they're just sitting there having dinner, and they say, "We're having dinner," almost as if to make you feel like you're trespassing. We have some family friends whose daughter I am periodically in touch with and this is her boorish husband's approach should he pick up the phone. And I only talk to her once every year or two.

So then ... how about you or your household?

2. Zombi3

Yeah, if its a company we tell them to call back later. If its friends we eat and chat at the same time.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on who's calling. The majority of the people that phone in general aren't people we want to talk to, at supper or anytime :lol:

4. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Nowadays nobody calls me anymore. Whoever needs to get a hold of me usually just send me either a text (friends, family and even some clients) or an e-mail (classmates and most clients) and any ensuing conversation will proceed in the respective format. That's why if my phone rings I assume it's either urgent, important, or urgent and important thus I always pick up the phone.

Regarding the other phenomenon you mentioned, no I don't have the habit of berating or scolding whoever calls me. There's no way for you to know what I'm doing before you make the call, as such—if my desire were to not be interrupted—the responsibility of making sure I'm not reachable falls on my shoulders. Shutting off one's phone for a little while is not that hard.

#4 Rawrzilla, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You never get people trying to sell you stuff? :eek:

6. TheStormInside

Back in the day we didn't have any newfangled gadgets that displayed incoming call numbers :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. At dinner my parents would usually ignore a call if we'd already sat down to eat, more often than not it was telemarketers calling at that time. As they always said (and as I say now if an unknown number comes in) "If it's important, they'll call again."

7. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

They must have me profiled as "poor" :grin:

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're right.

Her husband is basically an ass hole with no social skills. She's sort of a bad seed, too. That's why I only talk to her every couple of years. It's more of a loyalty thing than anything else.

9. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

My family do not eat together. If someone calls while one of us is eating, I think we'd all just let them leave a voicemail.

10. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I get that all the time, it's quite annoying. They start asking for your credit card information, a free trip to an island, etc. Sometimes I play along with it though, and I've really wanted to play back a record message to the person and just leave the phone there lol.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Usually, I'd get it...

... because it was a call from the school, wanting to tell my parents of that day's misdeed. LOL!

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This exactly.

13. GhostNeko

...People call me?

14. Lyana

My mom would always answer the phone, and my brother, father and I would roll our eyes. She spends ages talking on the phone, and the food would be cold when she got back, which we found... kind of sad, and I like it better when she's there, I think.
    These days, if someone calls during a meal it's usually my brother, so it makes us laugh every time. Like, he only calls when we're all seated at the table eating.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess they'll try anything. I once got a survey call about my gas station spending and I told them I wasn't interested in participating. Within 2 weeks, they called about 4 times. The last time, firmness escalated to yelling at them and they never called back. A person should get rid of these people in no more than 15 seconds.

16. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    We didn't have a landline when I was growing up. My mother had it disconnected because she got fed up of whichever women my father was currently having an affair with calling the house and upsetting her by saying things like "You're his partner?! But he told me you were dead!" and such.

In regards to telesales my stepbrother had an amusing approach. He would put on an accent and pretend to be a takeaway shop and ask to take their order, he'd let them give their spiel about whatever they were selling then reply with a deadpan: "You want fries with that?"

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My family growing up let the house phone ring and ring(yes, kids, we had a phone wired into the wall back then) and go to message.

Currently, I answer the phone most of the time unless I'm in a pissy mood or want to be left alone. This is often the case when I am depressed. If it is a number I do not recognize, it goes to voicemail unless I am bored, whether I am eating or not. Half the calls I get are telemarketers or bill collectors anyways.

18. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let it ring. There are many times when it's inconvenient for me to take a call and I count meal times amongst them.

19. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I dont answer it period

20. Yosia

I rarely answer phonecalls anyway, but if it was from a friend or someone important then i simply answer it, we do not eat at a table so what i do while eating is of my own discretion. ^.^