1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuality In School?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Patient4479, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Patient4479

Hellow fellow people!

So this is just a general matter of intrest for me: Was Homosexuality ever discussed in your school?
    Because I live in Austria and I think my school is doing a pretty good job with the subject.
    So I might need to start with sex education in Austria in general: When we're 8-9 years old, we have te first sex ed (It's a week long and you can't skip it!). It's with our regualr teacher and they tell you about pregnancy and safety and the technical details, but also speak about homosexuality as a normal thing, so when my mum asked me how it was I basically said: "Well I learned how babys are made and that there's a thing called homosexuality." When my mom asked my about my opinion I said: "Well I guess I don't now that much about it, but our teacher said it's normal, so I'm fine with it!"
    When I was 11-12 years old, I had my second sex ed and it went well aswell, with homsexuality being a huge point. (Also you had to go there!)
    And finaly, with 13-14 years I had my final sex ed (also not opional), where I earned the terms bisexual, pansexual, asexual and transexual while also having explained how gay or lesbian sex technicaly works.

So I guess you can tell that I was absoloutly happy with my sex ed and my parents and I never had 'the talk', because you literally learned all about it in school!

Also in Austria you have a lot of fix classes, that you can't change, but at my specific school, you could pick a few extra subjects when you're between 14 and 18 years old. And the higher calsses got to vote earlyer than my class and by the time i got ther, the subject 'The Cultural History of Homosexuality' was already full, altough there was space for 40 people!

So finaly, what were youre experiences with sex ed and homosexuality at your school?

-Caroline

2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My old school was awful about homosexuality. It wasn't allowed to be mentioned.

My current school is pretty accepting of LGBT+ individuals; we have a GSA and all that. Sex ed is another story though. It's very heteronormative. They mostly just teach about pregnancy and waiting till marriage, according to my friends who have taken the class. I'm dreading it. >.< I'm worried that it won't even be relevant to me...

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We first started sex ed when we were about 10. We watched a video but I can't really recall what it was - I think it had a birthing on it and some teenager who was in the shower. We also put a condom on a banana. Nothing about homosexuality though, or gay sex, as far as I can remember. This was a decade ago though so it might have changed since then.

4. soulcatcher

Students taught each other about it via practice.

5. ThroughTheMist

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I went to Catholic schools my entire life, so sex ed was basically about STDs and abstinence, with brief mention of birth control as a not-100%-effective thing. No talk of any orientation other than straight as part of a class, though we did have a couple of out gay students who seemed to be well accepted.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I went to sex Ed once when I was 12 and once when I was 14. Both times we only learned about heterosexual sex gay wasn't even mentioned all though the instructor did say something related to your sexuality isn't a choice. Also I went to school with lots of Mormons so abstinence was a big deal and I remember a bunch of kids saying how they were gonna be virgins till marriage. Although in az its illegal to teach kids about anything related to lgbt+ issues bc AZ sucks!!!

7. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My school started Sex Ed around 5th Grade(so around 10-11 years old). We only talked about puberty and how babies are made. The guys and girls were separated from each other.

Then in 6th Grade(11-12 years old), we went over the same stuff again. Kids were again separated by gender.

My Wellness class is supposed to have a Sex Ed lesson, but we haven't gotten to it yet. But it only goes over the same stuff and STDs, I think. They probably are going to include some type of abstinence lesson in there. Imagine the Sex Ed scene in Mean Girls.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

That sounds pretty amazing.

And to think... this is the country where a certain mustachioed idiot came from.

Sex Education here was pretty bland, the few times I went. Hand out worksheets with some images of male and female bodies, get the "STDs are bad" talk, what condoms are, and pregnancy sucks (or so that was the angle they leaned towards). There was no separation for the genders, which I'm not sure if it made it better or worse, as some of the guys could be really asinine about "female-centric issues".

Homosexuality wasn't mentioned directly, but it was implied to exist, usually with such remarks as "some people don't experience the same attractions".

I don't recall ever putting a condom on a banana or anything, but then again... I was either skipping or in detention.

9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We also had sex ed classes in high school, but like Kaiser, I was unlikely to go - in fact, I don't remember anything at all. The best way to learn about sex in high school is word of mouth. Not a day went by without someone talking about sex or having sex, or someone leaving condoms on door handles.

10. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where I live we have no sex eduation, leave alone homosexuality, it's taboo.

11. Patient4479

You guys are writing a lot about "Waiting with sex 'till marriage". That actually never turned up in sex ed, they were trying to teach us that sex isn't just mechanics but something emotional and how to use protection.

12. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    About age 10 or 11 we were shown various videos. One had a nude family getting up in the morning and walking cheerfully down the upstairs hallway, I remember this because the man seemed to be strolling in a deliberately jolly way so that his bits were bouncing up and down and swinging all over the place. Also there was a looong video of a woman giving birth filmed entirely from a camera position between her legs. Some diagrams in textbooks.

Age 14 we had a brief contraception class given by a woman who carried around a plastic pink phallus called 'Percy the Penis' for putting condoms on and who seemed to think getting sperm on just your leg (and not even near the groin area) could get you pregnant. Around about this time there was also one lesson where we were given a sheet of paper with a few well know words like 'gay,' 'bisexual,' and 'lesbian.' accompanied by a dictionary style sentence for each defining what they meant. That's about as far as LGBT education went.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I have to admit...

I must see this video, for the sheer ridiculousness of it. But at the same time, I am very disturbed that SOMEBODY thought it was a good idea, to have a family walk around nude with each other... to greet one another in the morning...

Curiosity wins out on this one.

14. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :confused:

15. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    It was absolutely HILARIOUS. There was no talking, but they were all getting up in the morning like some cheery sitcom family that are always smiling, 'Hey everyone! We're the chirpy nude family! Let's go have breakfast!' :lol:

16. MrSkittles

Nothing in my school. Only a Gay Straight Alliance Club.

17. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Homosexuality was never discussed in my School.
    Some Teachers responded to students using the term Gay as a negative word but that's about it.

18. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was never mentioned IN sex eds (because ours were all about protection for reproduction purposes, not even a mention of sicknesses), but we did have people come in class to talk about homosexuality. They talked about their experiences about being gay (acceptance or not, boyfriends, reactions ect.) There was this gay guy who mentioned that one of his friends was FtM, which pushed me to research the subject and come to the conclusion that this was me (props to that guy, it wasn't even part of the things he was suppose to say!).

For the STDs and stuff, there were posters ALL OVER THE PLACE with viruses of sexually transmissible diseases with a tag that said ''From name To name''. Sometimes, there were two male names on it. People were mostly making fun of them.

19. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    During my entire time in primary and secondary school I only had one 40 minute sex-ed class. Obviously, I didn't pay too much attention to it, because I knew I was never going to need it, even though I was 14 at the time.

For the record, I finished primary and secondary school in an extremely homophobic and conservative country in Southeastern Europe. Nowadays, I live in Sweden for the obvious reason.

20. kai397

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    in my school they never talk about it and when they do its like a bad thing