1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Election Day

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BeautifulStranger, Oct 30, 2008.

1. BeautifulStranger

We're going to know who the president is next week...
    I'm completely out of my mind wondering right now...

And sadly, cuz I'm in Germany, I will find out after all of you do =[

2. EM68

If you have satellite you should be able to get CNN international or the BBC. Also I am sure that a number of news sites will have live streaming coverage. I can not wait until its over.

3. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On Tuesday (Election Day), I'm watching CNN all day and night for complete coverage. I know, I need a life. :lol:

4. EM68

I will probably be up late watching the returns. I love watching them.

5. Nodnarb

As soon as I get home Tuesday, I'm going park myself in front of the TV with MSNBC on, and I'll probably stay there until midnight, or (if the race isn't called by then) until it is.

I am just so glad for this to be over....

FIVE MORE DAYS!

6. buriedinhw7

I am working at my precinct, so I will be busy all day -_-; but I will know the results of my personal precinct first!

Which I'm not sure I want to know cos even though I live in a blue state I live in a red city. lame!

7. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

The only time I have to go to vote is at 6 AM when the polls open (I wish I did early voting). I've got class at 7:30AM and then work all day. And then I have class again 7-10 at night. My instructor asked us if we'd be okay having the TV on, or if we thought we'd be getting cheated out of our education. Everyone wanted to have it on.

I'm really excited to get my "I voted" sticker. I'll be sporting it all day, I might take more if I can. I'm also really excited to vote, as I'm 19 and this is my first election.

8. xequar

This is pretty much my plan, as well. MSNBC with some good beer until they make a call or I finally decide I need sleep.

9. sdc91

Is MSNBC or CNN better?

I'm probably going to go to the University Union from 7-10 and if it's not called by then, I'll continue watching it until 1 in my room.

10. EM68

I think CNN is a lot better. MSNBC has become to divisive.

11. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say CNN is definitely better. :slight_smile:

12. Nodnarb

So....my grandma called my mom today while she was at work.

And here is what she said: "Don't listen to them, don't vote for the other one, he's a TERRORIST!"

This is the second election in a row she has called my mom, at work, to harass her over who she is voting for. Last time it was because Kerry was a "liberal". A LIBERAL!?!? Oh the horror:rolleyes:

By "them" she means my dad, and his family. They're...we're Democrats. So we must be evil, America-hating terrorists.

How my mom turned out as a normal, non-racist, tolerant, and sane human being after being raised by that woman, I'll never know.

13. xequar

I guess it depends on what you'd consider "better."

Fox News, a.k.a. Faux News, is well-known as a very right wing, ethically bankrupt agency that spouts off jibberish that has tangential relationships with real news.

CNN presents actual news from a Centrist to Center-Right perspective. Some of their anchors are pretty good (and Anderson Cooper's the very definition of a silver fox), but they, in my view, sully their credibility by having anchors like Nancy Grace. At least they finally shitcanned that POS Glenn Beck (who is finally going where he'll fit in-Faux News).

MSNBC presents actual news from a Center-Left to Left perspective. They made the excellent decision earlier this year to pull Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews from the anchor roles during major event coverage. This is a huge boon because they, by essentially moving over one chair and being "commentators," are now free to voice their actual views instead of attempting to be non-partisan.

In terms of the quality of actual news coverage, I would say both CNN and MSNBC present credible news. I personally prefer MSNBC because I'm very much a liberal, and I prefer the Center-Left perspective espoused by MSNBC.

14. xequar

Uggh, grandmothers... My grandmother was forwarding me numerous emails (literally 18 in one day at one point) about how Obama was a Muslim or the Anti-Christ or too black or some other hateful and/or false BS. I finally had to email her (twice, since she didn't listen to me the first time) and tell her I would spam-block her address if she sent me any more.

Just think-it'll all be over soon :slight_smile:

15. Nodnarb

^This.

Although even I find that it gets a bit too blatantly partisan at times.

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    :roflmao: Oh dear. You wonder how some people have so much fear!

17. Nodnarb

My grandma did that too. Then her computer broke, and the emails stopped:grin:

But if Obama wins, we'll have to endure four years of this crap from the right-wing. So it really won't be over.

18. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

My grandma doesn't understand why my mom doesn't like to talk politics with her. If you aren't a republican you're stupid. My mom used to like McCain years ago when he was more moderate. My grandma also thinks Obama is a terrorist. My mom's family is about as far right as you can be. Idk how she ended up so normal. I hope Obama wins for many reasons, one insignificant one is so it'll piss off my grandparents.

19. Nodnarb

Yup. And not only that, you're also anti-American.

I totally agree with this. My grandma will think the world is about to end if Obama wins.

Thanksgiving dinner should be fun:wink:

20. Adam

Last election I was up most of the night watching the results. I know this time I will be up all night too.