1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegan ideas...?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Young Blood, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm putting it here XD If the mods want to move it to where they feel appropriate, then go for it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I was just wondering if anyone had any good vegan recipes and that. Like simple ones that I (or anyone else who may be wondering as well :wink:) could use everyday for lunch or something. I really want to get started on becoming vegan.

Thanks to all those who respond! You're all awesome! (*hug*)

2. SomeLeviathan

I'm a vegetarian, not a vegan, but is probably my favorite non-restaurant Falafel recipe: Better Than Restaurant Falafel (Vegan & Gluten Free)

IDK if you're gluten free, if not, Lebanese Pita bread (probably can get this anywhere) is the best thing in which to eat falafel.

this stuff is also really easy to make, just keep a bunch in a tuperware container and reheat the next day to eat more. real great.

3. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, cool, thanks!!! :grin:

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dont worry wife I'll make u something Italian.

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You can try pancakes. They do not need egg, its simple to make: flour, (maybe even a part of it wholegrain, or some oatmeal added), a bit of sugar or salt, water and a bit of oil. Maybe a pinch of cider vinegar. Or other herbs or spices.
    And some oil for the pan. (Pour in the pan carefully... and as a trick: use a large spoon and pour it circular, filling the middle last. This way it sticks less in the middle.)

You can have them sweet, with fruit, applesauce, or like a wrap with tomatoes, onions, salad...
    You can make a few of them and eat them one day later.

Another easy one is pasta.
    Cook some spaghetti, make some sauce of your own.
    Like with some onions, some oil, and salt and pepper.
    Or with tomatoes, or other vegetables.

Another good recipe is frying cooked spaghetti in a pan (careful with oil and water... heat up slowly), together with some sliced onions, and a few herbs, salt and pepper and oil...
    you can also add vegetables here, if you like...

Selfmade soups... there are organic soup cubes available, only needs water added, some sliced onions, salt and pepper, and some oil.
    Other vegetables can be included.
    Lentil soup for example is a great source for protein.
    Some whole grain bread goes well with this.

Those are all basic recipes, which can be easily changed:
    curry or herbs can be added, sauces can be added, cooked or fryed vegetables can be added...
    different oils can be used...
    it can be fun to play with...

and, well a few fruits for dessert...

you can make salad, a few sliced onions, a few sliced tomatoes, and some green salad, together with oil, salt and pepper... and have it with some bread...

#5 jay777, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  6. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I could live on fattoush and pita and hummus, all vegan....yummmm... But probably only simple if you get it at a restaurant, which is what I do, cheap university area food.

Pasta or rice and stir fried veggies, I eat that sometimes. Really simple is pbj, of course, I ate that a good deal for a while.

7. Joelouis

I'm no good at vegan specialities. I follow a vegetarian diet but I hate it when I go out with friends for a meal and ask the waiter/waitress if they cater for vegetarians only to be met with "Errr.....we have chicken....." Or when they understand that chicken is an animal, they then offer a nut roast. I mean, come on! A nut roast for gods sake! I'd rather eat carpet underlay.

8. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You could do it the other way round... just ordering what you'd like without meat...
    pasta with a vegetarian sauce...
    salad with fried potatoes, and some mustard...

there are a lot of possibilities...

9. PressPlay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [YOUTUBE]Jq_OhlQ0ZkA[/YOUTUBE]

Made me think of this :lol::lol:

#9 PressPlay, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  10. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not vegan myself, but I cook a lot of vegetarian and vegan dishes because I find them pretty simple to make and they usually use ingredients that I always have on hand. One of my favorites is a take on a chickpea tikka masala. You'll need canned chickpeas, rinsed thoroughly, coconut milk, tomato paste, garam masala, cumin, tumeric, cayenne or other hot pepper, smoked paprika, and other indian spices, salt, pepper, grated ginger, crushed garlic, sliced onions, coconut oil (or any other vegetable oil with a neutral taste), and brown rice. Heat maybe 2 tsps to a tablespoon of coconut oil in a pan. When the pan has heated, turn heat to medium, saute the onions until slightly translucent, then add garlic and ginger. Saute until fragrant, then add coconut milk (Add just enough to coat the onions at first, and maybe a splash or two as you go. You don't want it soupy, just a nice sauce), tomato paste (Add a little at first, then add more as you taste it, remember you can always add more but you can't take it out once it's in there. I find I use close to a tablespoon), and garam masala. Cook for a few minutes, tasting as you go and adjusting the flavor by adding other spices. I find with curries it's best to use garam masala as sort of a base since it contains most of the spices you will need for curry, then adding a few more spices to get the flavor you want. A traditional curry contains stuff like cinnamon and cloves, which can be overbearing when used in large amounts, so I find using garam masala keeps me from accidentally adding too much. I usually add a lot of cumin, cayenne or hot pepper, and paprika to get the flavor I want, but your tastes might vary. When the sauce is to your liking, toss in the chickpeas and stir and cook until chickpeas are cooked through. If you want, you can add frozen spinach or sauteed kale. Serve with brown rice.

This dish cooks pretty quickly, you're really just heating everything up. That's part of the reason I like cooking with canned chickpeas, they are already cooked so you can just toss them into your dish.

I also have a good method for cooking tofu. Simply slice tofu, mix a spice rub, using spices of your choosing (Like a curry inspired mixture, or a southwestern mixture), and cover your tofu with this mixture. Remember that tofu is pretty bland, so all of the flavor is going to come from your spice mixture. Heat oil in a frying pan, and when hot add tofu, fying on each side until nice and crispy.

If you have silken tofu, try slicing it and then drizzling soy sauce and sprinkling sliced scallions on top. This is a very traditional Japanese method of preparing tofu. Don't let the simplicity fool you, it's really tasty.

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Get an Indian cookbook. The end. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Okay, well I had virtually vegan food this afternoon for lunch: rice with shredded cabbage and moong bean thoran (dry curry with shredded coconut), aviyal (thick vegetable and coconut curry), and some canned black eyed peas plus a few spices. You can get all the ingredients at an Indian grocery store. It's also a good idea to grow your own curry tree indoors for access to the leaves (dried leaves have little flavor).

How to make Thoran (cherupayar are moong beans - cook cabbage separately and then combine):
    Cherupayar Thoran | Marias Menu

How to make aviyal:
    Aviyal - Kerala Sadya Recipe for Onam and Vishu | Marias Menu

12. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Woah, this is great guys!! Thanks!!! :grin:

13. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My favourite snack is to have whole grain bread with avocado, tomato sauce and cucumber. At first I thought it was weird but now it's my favourite.

Very simple vegan wrap for lunch: just some veggies (whatever you have), beans, avocado and plain soy yoghurt. Maybe some sweet chili sauce if you like to spice it up :slight_smile:

Oooh and then bananas and peanutbutter is made in heaven !

Most food I cook is vegan but Im not that strict about it, I do eat dairy products on social occasions cause it is so much easier.

14. any kind of homemade soup is a good quick fix. my fave is tomoato and chilli.
    then there is falafel pittas. theres this place in machester and you can get a massive pitta with falafel and loads of salad and bbq sauce and yumminess. dont know if anything is like that near you, thats a healthy quick fix too.
    pasta salad is another thing (but if you put tofu in it you cant reheat it)
    i guess you could also try avacado crackers. though ive never eaten avacado lol.
    fruit salad is another.
    pizza (cold from night before. healthyish if you make it with wholemeal wraps instead of normal dough).
    nachos though not that healthy.
    jacket potato with beans and salad

hope these help

15. PurpleGrey

I only trust vegan food that doesn't imitate non-vegan food. Mostly because too much soy is bad for you, but also because it's admitting that dead animals taste good and vegan diets suck. It's true, but you can't have things both ways. If you're going to give up animal products, don't just cheat and replace them with soy.

Okay, that out of the way, there are some great things to make that are pure, proud vegetarian foods. For instance, last night I made this awesome vegetable...stuff, I don't know what it's called. It's just yellow squash, zucchini, tomato, carrot, garlic cloves, onion, lemon, basil, salt, pepper, and olive oil, all mixed up and thrown in the oven for fifteen minutes at a time. I didn't get to try any, but it smelled like the most incredible pasta sauce in the world.

Some other options are: avocado and hummus in a toast sandwich, lentil soup with tomatoes (not too thick), applesauce cornbread, tomato cornbread, pesto spaghetti. When I was younger, my then stepbrother would eat radishes or tomatoes with salt, just like that. Then there's potato soup, I don't remember how you make it or if it's even vegan, but it's good.

16. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Now, well have you tried some and did you like it ? :slight_smile:

17. lostluvr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i love making smoothies as meal replacements..im actually going strictly liquid today cuz i got sum weird thing going on..dont ask lol..but neway yea im not vegan or vegitarian but id say im sortof paleo..i like all organic all natural shit..but uhh..yea dude u can always make awesome smoothies or even just juice..juice all sorts of veggies..hella healthy hella bomb and actually makes u feel hella good and surprisingly full..or salads...or u know what go find a trader joes in ur area they sell all sorts of goodies for vegans :slight_smile: good luck

18. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't yet as I don't have a chance, but I am definitely going to!

19. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  20. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual