1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commuting as a kid

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tardis2020, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Tardis2020

I'm 15 and have the opportunity to do an internship at Sloan Kettering in NYC, but I'd have to take a train, then a subway, then walk everyday of the summer to get there. I live in a suburban place so I don't really have much subway experience. Has anyone ever done any commute like this as a kid? How did it go?

2. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Congratulations that sounds awesome! If you're nervous about the commute you can take someone with you and 'practice commute' a few times to feel comfortable.

3. Hiems

I attended a summer program in Manhattan when I was in 7th grade. Normally my parents drove me there, but when they were too busy, I went by myself. I commuted from the Bronx to there and back home via subway. It was kind of scary without my parents taking me there, but it was kinda fun at the same time, haha.

That's the best thing about NYC. You don't really need a car to travel to most places. Just hop on a subway to travel to pretty much anywhere.

Make sure to not stand near the rails. There are stories on the news where people accidentally fall, someone pushes another person into the rails (whether accidentally or intentionally), someone accidentally drops his/her cell phone in the rails and attempts to pick it up then get back on the platform, etc. Always err on the side of caution when entering and leaving the subway.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good point about cell phones, it is really easy to get distracted and wander where you shouldn't so put it in your pocket and only look at it when you are standing still in a safe place, and in the subway, if you must look at it, do it well away from the platform edge!