1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter Storm Juno

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheStormInside, Jan 26, 2015.

1. TheStormInside

I'm sure we have a lot of members here who will be affected. My area is expected to receive 20-30 inches of snow from Monday night through Wednesday! Who else is prepping for the storm? What are you planning to do to keep cozy and warm?

2. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

We're supposed to get 16-20 inches. I'm sleeping in since classes will most likely be cancelled, then just lazing around my apartment all day. :grin:

3. chocolate dream

Im currently stressing! I live in the UK but im flying to New York on Thursday.Panicking i wont get there!

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Denver's high temperature today - 72 F.

Not complaining at all. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. aeva

Yeah, we're getting 18-24. We already had 7+ on the ground from the other day too.

The amount of snow isn't concerning to me, I used to live in the mountains in New Hampshire, where we'd get this amount of snow on a somewhat regular basis. The wind (up to 50mph) is the more worrying part.

I had work this morning, but we closed at 1:30 so we could get home before the worst stuff hit. I plan on snuggling in bed with my kitty, and playing video games. If we lose power, I may actually get my room clean!

6. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just had to check the weather there because I read that as minus 72 F.

At -72 F, I would be complaining. :icon_bigg

7. TheStormInside

Cool, I'm originally from New Hampshire, too, though from Southern NH so we didn't get this much QUITE as often. It was more an "every other winter" sort of event. Now that I am in RI it's very uncommon to get more than say 8 inches here so this is quite a surprise.

I don't mind the snow too much, provided the city manages it well. I just worry about downed power lines and no heat! Otherwise I've got my work here at home, I'm stocked up on food, and I've also got a kitty to cuddle :slight_smile: .

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Im supposed to get about 0 inches of snow.

9. PossumJack

There's already around 2 inches of snow on the ground at the moment. I think there's supposed to be at least 2 feet of the stuff by tomorrow morning.

10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm exceptionally jealous.

11. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm right along the Massachusetts-New Hampshire border, an area expected to get 2-3 feet of snow. I welcome the storm -- I think it's nice to have one blizzard every year -- but I'm worried about potentially losing power for a few days. If I'm stuck at home by myself with nothing for entertainment I'm going to go crazy.

12. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a chance this storm might get my friends and I stuck :frowning2: We've been in the DC area for a convention and we have a flight home tomorrow... It hasn't gotten too bad yet but we are really worried... Wish us luck getting home!

13. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    If we have power: Everything is golden. We've got electric blankets, we can bake so that the oven keeps the house warm, make tea and coffee and hot cocoa, make soup, all kinds of things really.

If we loose power but still have gas and water (like we did when Sandy hit): No oven (It's electric) and no electric blankets. Stove will still work, so we can still make soup and tea and such, and we have a fireplace to keep warm. Oh and candles. Enough candles can generate a fair amount of heat.

If we loose power gas and water: IDK about my folks, but I'm already planning to survive by making a firepit outsite and cooking there, and we have tons of blankets. Plus the fireplace and candles I mentioned.

If it lasts for long enough I presume we'll function like they did in the olden days of yore, only with slightly more social equality and enough common sense to know basic science. I have books on sustainable living and living off the land, so I think I'll be fine.

14. Psaurus918

As an Upstate New Yorker who loves snow I'm jealous. Its ridiculous how little snow we've had this winter and downstate is getting yet another storm

15. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Toss some of that down over here. It's only snowed like three times here. Plus I want to go ice fishing again. And make snow angels and make I big snow pile so I can jump off my roof and land in it. Get me a snowboard. Have my brother drive my truck while I hold onto a rope. (That is totally Illegal, but fun once we hit the bottom roads near the Mississippi River. No cops there. :grin:

16. TheStormInside

Glad to see everyone is going to be safe and warm through the storm!

It looks like we will likely not get quite as much as predicted, but it's already to around 10 inches here and we've got the rest of the day and night to go.

This little video came from a private school here. Sometimes I love this town. :lol:

[YOUTUBE]OjE72Q8s8wo[/YOUTUBE]

Cyberscream- I'll gladly share! We haven't gotten much snow either this year, but I tend to prefer it in 5-6 inch bursts, rather than a season's worth all in one go.

17. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Yeah, so, that 16-20 turned into 1-5 inches, so...

18. soag

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I got hit with "snowvember" south of Buffalo. We got 6 feet in less than 3 days. Here's what I did: check the heating pipes outside and test the CO detector. Keep at least one car clear in case of emergencies. Walk around at night because there is something so beautiful about dead quiet and empty roads when they're usually so busy. Oh, and we made friends with all our neighbors and shoveled together.

19. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im enjoying watching the pictures on Twitter that people are taking. Seeing New York City during the 'travel ban' looks like scenes from The Purge!

20. Joelouis

Good luck getting home!