1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heterophobia? Can it be a reality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DeviantAttitude, Jan 26, 2015.

1. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Humans are for some reason "by nature" hateful. Homophobia, Transphobia, even Biphobia for some reason. But can someone be Heterophobic?
    I'm chatting with a girl on twitter and she is stating that there is no such thing as Heterophobic because " "a gay man killed another because he was straight" has never been heard of.".
    I responded to that with "No. It doesnt need to happen for it to be real. Someone, somewhere doesnt like someone else because they are straight".

I just want to know what are your thoughts on the matter. Can someone be heterophobic?

2. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay.....When straight people aren't accepted as being the norm, when straight people are being kicked out of their homes for being straight, when straight people are forbidden from marriage, when straight people get assaulted for being straight, then we can worry about heterophobia.

Homophobia and transphobia are actual institutionalized prejudices that are deep rooted in our culture, and that hurt people in a multitude of ways. 99.99999999% of the time when a LGBTA person says "Ugh I hate straight people" they're venting about the homophobia, transphobia, biphobia that they endure on a daily basis, they don't actually hate straight people for being straight. That's how people vent. It's like me saying "Ugh I hate mondays." I don't hate every single monday forever, I just dislike having to go back to school/work after the weekend. it's venting.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why wouldn't it be a reality? It's like saying bisexual women do exist but bisexual men don't.

If heterosexuals have issues with or are put off by LGBT folks, then why wouldn't someone who is LGBT potentially develop an aversion to heterosexual folks, or at least some "versions" of them? There are some straight people that one is better off avoiding. There are some "versions" of gays and lesbians I also tend to avoid. I don't know if that's a phobia. I just don't like people with nasty attitudes, regardless of their sexual wiring.

4. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    @crazycat

I told her that society itself is not heterophobic. But for one reason or the other, again, someone, somewhere doesnt like someone else because they are straight, and not because they are "just venting".

I'm not saying we should take action against it, because compared to the other xPhobias, this one doesnt affect as much. It probably doesnt affect anyone at all. Im just saying that it exists like the other phobias and it is equally as stupid.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I've said before, only semantically can one be heterophobic.

As an equivalent to homophobia and other forms of anti-queer sentiment, it is not socially pervasive enough nor are its rare appearances useless hate; frustration and venting are the only things I have seen that are called heterophobia and the rightful fear of being harmed by heterosexuals. It doesn't come from the same mindset and tends to be entirely reactive where it does exist - but, no matter what, it is not and almost certainly will never be impactful or damaging to heterosexuals in general.

6. Tardis2020

Yes, but atm it can't go beyond just being an asshole.

7. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    well... Can a minority be racist? Does racism only exist in white folks? Is racism from minorities justified because they have been oppressed? Idk about hetrophobia honestly. But just some food for thought...

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    True. It's more fear/hatred of homophobes than fear of the expression of heterosexuality itself.

9. davidguitar20

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I dont think thats real. People have the choice to be straight or not. Most of my friends are straight and that ooesnt bother me. Who are we to decide whether someone should be gay or not?

10. Jellal

Heterophobia may be nowhere near as pervasive/severe as homophobia or transphobia, not even a fraction as strong, but just because you don't see it talked about doesn't mean it isn't a reality. Cliques are a seemingly universal constant, and people just love to build solidarity by setting up "us vs them" scenarios; it's done so often that most people don't realize they do it, and will continually deny doing it. On that note cisphobia is probably also a thing that exists.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This is like saying, hey, 2 broken fingers is better than 4 broken fingers. Yes, one is better -- but you still have broken fingers either way.

Hate, fear, and stupid is hate, fear, and stupid. You can compare and contrast all day.

Too much hippie?

12. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You see this is why I dislike a lot of modern liberals

They say things like "NO HOMOPHOBIS MORE THAN JUST HATING GAYS IT'S OPPRESSIONADHASDHA"

Or like racism isn't just hating people because of race it's deeper than that

The thing is what they're describing actually has a phrase: Institutional discrimination

But they like to merge words and basically bend things a bit so that they're right, and now if you ever say "That's racist!" when a black guy says he hates white people or whatever they'll be like "NO YOU CAN'T BE RACIST TOWARDS WHITES" even though racism is discrimination based on race and they basically changed the meaning of a word so that they would be right

13. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Nah its was just perfect.

Thanks to everyone that replied I saw some really interesting comments

14. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's certainly a possibility. Hatred can be targeted towards anyone and anything.

15. antibinary

No because homophobia would be as well as the 'stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination of queer people' the intutionalised oppression and erasure of queer people. Same goes for sexism, racism, transphobia, or whatever.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I find the idea as absurd as that of reverse racism. Sure, someone could discriminate against a heterosexual, but more often than not, it's due to past negative experiences that taint their perception. There is no institutionalized heterophobia, as in entire countries jailing and murdering someone for being straight. Most non-straight people simply want a space for themselves without being harassed or feeling invisible.

It's especially problematic when someone starts painting their "struggle" as being equal to or even greater than that of oppressed minorities.

18. Pie

Pie Guest

I don't see why it wouldn't exist, but I guess it's not very widespread. It would be a particularly stupid phobia anyway because you would be afraid of 95+% of people...
    (Assuming 5% of non-straight people.)

19. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Keep in mind that im not using the colloquial meaning of phobia (being afraid of). Homophobes are not literally afraid of homosexuals the way someone's afraid of clowns of afraid of heights.

20. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh, I don't know, when us gays run the world no heteros will be spared :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: