1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About infidelity

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Jan 27, 2015.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Hi guys :slight_smile:

I'm posting this thread just solely for discussion purpose. Please don't think that I'm posting something to hurt your feelings. I'm sorry if it did.

I was reading a few articles in the net and came across one mentioning that infidelity is more common in gay relationships.

Do you think infidelity is more common in gay relationships?

I feel fidelity still exists in gay relationships as well.

2. Incognito10

The source of the article is important when discussing infidelity because infidelity can have different meanings to different individuals and couples; so the definition from the source is necessary. For example, some gay men define within their relationship that fidelity may be emotional in nature and may not include sexual activity (the open relationship). Prior to entering the "gay" culture and studying a lot of gay psychology and sociology, I was unaware of this aspect, but apparently it's significant and you do have to watch sources that cite "infidelity" in gay relationships to determine what their criteria are and if any bias may be present.

3. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had three relationships with men and 1 with a woman, and the woman was the only one that cheated on me. Just my experience.

4. Lipstick Leuger

No, it's actually about the same.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I consider it likely that it's almost exactly the same rate.

6. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I suspect there's a sampling error here. From my experience there doesn't seem to be much of a difference

7. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Thanks for your opinions guys :slight_smile:

8. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

What was the name of the website that said that? Was it reputable?

9. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Despite my own personal experience I posted above, I do believe fidelity exists in gay relationships, definitely.

I recall reading something in a book about evolution and sexual behavior. The percentage of bird pairs where the chick was not biologically the male's offspring was the same as in a similar study on humans.

There is a biological advantage to infidelity for both sexes. It's really to our credit as a species that we so often ARE faithful and value our partner commitment above our own biological urges.

10. lostluvr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    im usually pretty loyal to my partners and i say that cuz i dated guys before i realized i was les but i wouldve cheated on them or left them for a girl in a heartbeat but id never ever cheat on a girlfriend...ever ever...

11. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Thanks for your replies guys

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

It happens everywhere regardless of sexuality. Humans have a hard time staying monogamous in general.

13. tscott

Define fidelity. It should be simple, but I know number of people whose relationships are open or polyamourous that consider themselves "faithful". More often than I care to admit to encountered this. That's why I am questioning what is meant by "faithful." I have found myself the "bit on the side", and believe me it's not fun. If there is some kind of deception someone is being unfaithful, regardless of how open the relationship is.
    You know it's not kosher when you've plans together and you're the one left waiting by the phone trying to see what's going on, that may or may not occur. You know you're one of the three points of a triangle.