1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why they ban drugs and leave smokers ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joshy the queen, Jan 27, 2015.

1. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why just isnt smoking bad too!?
    I have asthma and smokers never really respect not smoking around me i choked nearly to death from smokers around me
    School the mall the street
    I had enough !
    Not only that but i see a 9 years old smoking too
    :dry:
    Its time to do something right?

2. Lazuri

Because it's an industry and a lot of powerful people would lose a lot. Not to mention how all the world's smokers would get pissy and unproductive all at the same time, you'd be able to notice it everywhere. Smuggling trade would go up. Some less than legally inclined people will most likely manufacture ther own cigarettes that without the regulations normal cigarettes have end up being even more deadly.

The list goes on and on but the gist of it is that it's too late. It's already too integrated into society.

3. CyanChachki

I think it's more for a sense of control. If tobacco where illegal, it would be sold behind the governments back, like weed. Dealers would grow it and sell it to the public and that would mean if they where caught, they would be sent to jail or prison and there would be less room for worse criminals and more work for cops.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This.

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Spot on. Smoking and drinking alcohol are socially acceptable, even the norm in places, so even though they're just as harmful and as addictive, if not more so, than many illegal drugs, I doubt we'll ever see them outlawed. I'd rather have other drugs at least decriminalised anyway.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best point is that tobacco and alcohol are so integrated into our society that there is not much you can do at this point. It's historical. They can't just outlaw smoking now when there's millions of current smokers. Same with alcohol. Other drugs had different histories and that's why they are illegal.

7. Lazuri

Exactly. There have been attmpts to outlaw alcohol in the past and it... It never ended well. Outlawing smoking would have a similar reaction.

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know in England cigarettes make the national health service more money in tax than anything else

9. Sam I Am

As the failed war on drugs has shown, making a thing illegal doesn't actually stop people from using it. Instead, governments are focusing on funding education, teaching kids why not to start smoking, as well as imposing regulations that make smoking more inconvenient, such as heavy cigarette taxes or banning smoking in or near businesses.

And it's working. Cigarette smoking has been declining for years. Hopefully, this trend will continue.

10. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Too bad our people teach their kid that smoking is for men !
    So most boys start smoking at very early age trying to be men -_-

11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same thing here. Huge decrease in smoking rates.

[​IMG]

12. Psaurus918

Smoking is pretty much banned here. You can't smoke on any school, hospital or nursing home property, you can't smoke in any public place (store, restaurant, bar) and most places have signs saying no smoking within 10 feet of the door. Most people ignore the last one which can be annoying.

Oh there is also no smoking at public parks or beaches

13. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Tobacco is a big industry; I don't think it would be banned anytime soon.

To be honest, I don't think any drug should be banned. Let people ruin their bodies/minds as they feel like it.

14. Quiet Raven

The thing is, though, it isn't just their own selves they are ruining, but the people around them too. Second hand smoke can be very dangerous as well. And so many children are learning from their parents or friends that smoking is an OK, or even "cool" thing to do. And before they know how harmful it is... They're addicted.

15. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Honestly I don't really care much what other people put in to their bodies, as long as they aren't doing it on the street corner where people are breathing in their second hand smoke.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To add to this point, I know how badly addiction can impact a family first hand, and I don't mean cigarette addiction, which is RELATIVELY harmless compared to other things. You can't just let people ruin their bodies if they want. It impacts society overall. Would you say that about a relative?

17. black-cat

A) It makes a lot of powerful people even richer
    B) In many countries, there are very strict rules to where you smoke outside your own home. Such as in cafes, restaurants, shops, pubs, or on the streets. There are designated smokers areas, as to eliminate the side effects of smoke on non smokers.
    C) Comparing it to cannabis (weed), the symptoms are very different. Those who smoke weed often have hallucinations, feeling hungry, hot/cold sweats, calmness /feeling agitated, affects reasoning, blood shot eyes, among many, many more symptoms. Generally with tobacco smokers, it stinks, ruins their skin, teeth and hands, dulls their appetite and slowly kills and rots them. That's really it.

18. Hiems

The Surgeon General recently released a report saying that smoking causes a host of health problems in the smoker and in others too via secondhand smoke exposure. It can lead to middle ear infections in kids and SIDS in infants, for instance.

The strange thing about smoking cessation is that one of the prescription drugs used to treat it, varenicline, is harder to obtain than a box of cigarettes. You have to go to the doctor, get a script, fill it at the pharmacy, cross your fingers that the insurance covers it, and go on your merry way. You can just buy a box of cigarettes.

I wish this drug was available behind the counter, because doctors don't need to monitor the patient. Pharmacists can do it. Easier access to varenicline = increased smoking cessation = better health for the smoker and their family, friends, and peers.

19. TacobellKFC

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am a smoker and proud yayy!!!!!under the influence.....i am very respectable towards others, realize you got to share the air :slight_smile:

20. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Yep. People choose to do these things, no matter if they are related to me or not, it ain't my problem.